2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Just an update; I'm a scratch on the DC RnR Full; I had some nagging injuries and motivational issues through what would have been the first half of my training cycle.

I have my eye on a redemption race in May that I will decide whether to pull the trigger on in the next week or two.  If not, then well, I'm working on building a solid base for training for fall.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

A month of pre-marathon races coming up before the main event on 28th April. Stafford 20 (miles) tomorrow and Wilmslow Half in 2 weeks times, with a couple of 10k's thrown in the mix. According to MacMillan, I should be aiming for 2:37 tomorrow, so we will see what goes. The weather is not looking good though (1C and light snow!)

I'm in. Athens (Ohio) Marathon 4/14. I'm aiming for a 3:20. One sub 3:30 under my belt from back in May of 2011 in Pittsburgh. Haven't raced a full since then and I'm excited/nervous to see where I'm at with my running. At this point I haven't raced since last July. So we'll see. Good luck to all.

Julia1971

Flinders, I hope you're not too bummed about it.  The half is really the better race for RnR USA/National anyway.  I'd be curious to see what you choose for your May race.  I've been thinking maybe I should run another spring marathon but am not sure what.  If I had thought about it more I would have tried to do London.

northernman

Fight The Future

Julia and Zenetanar, how's the taper going? Even though i usually hate tapers, I'm really looking forward to mine now. I'm so tired! Last night I slept about 11 hours, and still could have kept going. Fortunately, no real injuries other than sore feet and pecs (not sure about the reason for that last one). This go round, I've added lots of lunges with weights, and now starting to do ab exercises, with hopes of avoiding side stitches at the end. I hate ab work.

Geez, all of my complaints! I'm starting to think that running is stupid!

Anyway, best of luck to you two next weekend, and fingers crossed for good weather.

Julia1971

Thanks, Northernman.  I think I'm handling the taper pretty well.  I had a bad 24-hours last week after a "disappointing" 18-miler.  My time/pace was fine - great even - but I was still upset that it felt as hard as it did.  I thought about it on the next day's run and concluded I had become so obsessing with race pace that I was making myself anxious and miserable.  I worked on letting that go and have been much happier.  For the past week, it's been the exact opposite - I start smiling for no reason on my runs and find myself thinking. "You're going to have a great race".  Smile  I'm still a little nervous that there's a swarm of locust hovering  just off the Atlantic Ocean getting ready to move in and ruin my race day, but I have no control over that so, there's really no sense in worrying about it, right?...  Wow, 11 hours of sleep!  That sounds awesome!  And, that's great that you're feeling healthy.  Keep it up!  Do sit-ups help with side stitches?  I got a light case of them on my Saturday run and assumed it was because I dressed too warmly.  I really should do some sit-ups.  Maybe next go around.

fake it till you make it

I've been posting in the marathon dailies but haven't been on the general forum in a while. So, n case I don't get here later in the week to say it- good luck this weekend Julia and Zenetanar!  Exciting to see some racing again after a lull.  Looking forward to your race reports.

This go round, I've added lots of lunges with weights, and now starting to do ab exercises, with hopes of avoiding side stitches at the end. I hate ab work.

That's the stuff I should  have been doing. Maybe next time.... unless I swear off marathons after Boston!

Walk-Jogger

Hi All,

I've decided this will finally be the year I run a marathon, my first ever, so I'm tossing my hat into this ring. I'm signed up for the "Light at the End of the Tunnel" marathon on July 14th.

I'll be 58 years old this month, and have run on and off since I was 28, but have never run a marathon. Since that's always the first question non-runners ask when they learn you're a runner, it's about time I'm able to answer "yes" instead of explain why not.

Goal time will be 3:20, but the real goal is just to finish, and anything under 3:30 for a first marathon will make me happy. BQ for me is 3:40, and if I don't beat that, something went terribly wrong. Which as I understand it, is not that uncommon in running a marathon...

My initial thoughts on a training plan are to keep trying to run 50 miles per week or more, and run an extra long run at least every other weekend, although spring racing season is just getting started and that may get in the way of the longer weekend runs. I'm not a person who can or would follow a strict written training plan, so won't be doing any of the various commonly discussed marathon plans.

Good luck to the rest of you with your marathons!

- Cecil

Retired &  Loving It

Hi Cecil, wow, looking at your half race and training, I think 3:20 is easy for you. Your last 18 mile run is already faster than 3:20. You may be able to do it in 3:05. good luck.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

It is nice to see people progress well and hit the goal.

My update: I had Achilles injury and had 5 weeks off. I am just back to 40mpw. I am not on the track of my 55/24 training plan. I haven't started my speed workout yet. I am still targeting 3:30. Fingers cross!

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

northernman

Fight The Future

Sorry about the injury David, but good to hear you are back in the game. Take it easy on the speed work, OK? You don't want to re-injure your leg. If this will be your first marathon it's a guaranteed PR, no matter what the time!

Julia1971

Sorry it's taken me so long to check in.  I graduated, y'all!  3:23:52.  My RnR race report is here.  I didn't hit my time goal but I feel confident I will at some point.  Thanks everyone for wishing me good luck and I hope to see more graduates in the months to come.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Sorry it's taken me so long to check in.  I graduated, y'all!  3:23:52.  My RnR race report is here.  I didn't hit my time goal but I feel confident I will at some point.  Thanks everyone for wishing me good luck and I hope to see more graduates in the months to come.

Congrats, Julia!  I enjoyed your RR, as well.

(I was fighting the lingering effects of a cold from earlier in the week, but still managed to knock two minutes off of my half PR, so I'm happy with my race.)

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Anonymous Guest

Wow Julia, I just read your RR - what a stressful race! I don't know if I could have kept it together as well as you did. Congratulations on the great time! If you can run that time with all those obstacles in your head, you will definitely hit your time goal soon.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Julia1971

Flinders, Congrats on the PR!  Two minutes is a pretty big drop in PR, so I imagine you're pretty excited about it.  Hope you're recovering well today.

Anon Guest, Thanks!  I was already contemplating another spring marathon so I might take another shot at it sooner than later.