Cracked Rib Report --getting WAY better (Read 1581 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

For anyone who read my other cracked rib reports, I craked 3 ribs over 4th of July weekend, it was embarssing and dumb, but such is life sometimes. My Dr. said there was nothing to do but wait for them to heal. He hinted that I should not run, but I've never been one to sit around on my ass and wait to get fat so I x-trained the first week of the bad ribs and found that stairmaster/elliptical machines were fine. Second week I started some slow runs on the treadmill with a good incline (3-5%) to get my heart rate up since I was running several minutes per mile slower than usual but still wanted a good work out. The incline did not seem to bother my ribs at all. Toward the end of that week I had some slow outside runs too. But it hurt to go fast. I did a race with my fiance, slower than usual, but it was good for logging the miles (10K) and it was fun. Now I've done a few long runs, slowly. I did 14 miles at 8ish/pace last week and last night did 8 at a 7:20 pace, so I'm getting back to normal. Anyway, the point of all of this is: if you find yourself with cracked ribs, don't dispare. You can run through it with very minimal discomfort. just go slowly/up hill and cross train. I think the reason I am healing up so quickly is all the exercise I've been continuing with. From what I read online, getting blood to the area would help heal me up and running certainly gets the blood pumping! Tomrorow I'm sceduled for a 15 miler, easy pace, so hopefully I'll pull that off and I will be back on track with my fall marathon training. Nothng lost, experience gained. It no longer hurts (as much) to sneeze and I can laugh again!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Wow! Dave you are doing so well. Having been through cracked and broken ribs I feel your pain and I am impressed at your progress. Keep on doing what you're doing. It's obviously working for you. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be able to laugh again? Smile Take care!
      ~ Fly ~
      Only as much as I dream can I be.
      veggies on the run
      HermosaBoy

Glad I found this! I just found out the my fall on Wednesday night (while running) caused two cracked ribs. Tried running yesterday and it really hurt. So, will keep up with the ice and Ibprofen and hope to recover as quickly as you...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm 100% healed up now (have been for a while). I think overall I missed 1 week of running and just did other exercises. Second week was slower running and by the third week I was much better. Now I can laugh, sneeze and am doing 20 milers again without any physical feeling of having cracked my ribs. I'm shocked they healed up so well. I was really afraid it would affect my fall marathon and ultramarathon plans. Anyway, don't dispare and don't stop working out. You'll heal up in no time! Big grin

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Insert witty title here

Now I've done a few long runs, slowly. I did 14 miles at 8ish/pace last week and last night did 8 at a 7:20 pace, so I'm getting back to normal.
            Holy crap.. we have different definitions of "slowly" Shocked I set a new personal record last night at an 8ish pace and it wasn't anything close to 14 miles! Glad to hear you're better though, and here's wishing a speedy recovery to you hermosaboy.

ThomasRuns Blog
            Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holy crap.. we have different definitions of "slowly" Shocked I set a new personal record last night at an 8ish pace and it wasn't anything close to 14 miles! Glad to hear you're better though, and here's wishing a speedy recovery to you hermosaboy.
              You're right, Thomas! I'm a snail. You are a speed demon compared to me!