Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

Rich_

But that doesn't explain you people. The same people who told us at the start that Rong-Way Rich was a nut job and that there's no point in engaging him ... are the ones who've created this massive ode to stupidity by engaging him.
    Odd, itsn't it? I would add that those folks keep posting personal attacks / insults and then turn around and blame me (just as you've done) .
    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
    xor

Ugh. This thread makes my brain bleed. What the hell are you people doing? There's no point in addressing Rong-Way Rich. He's made it clear that he's nothing but some strangely fixated troll with a raging obsessive-compulsive disorder and an inability to read. As some of you told us long ago, he has zero interest in discussion, and just wants to babble endlessly and nonsensically. He's the poster child for passive-aggression. If Rich were an ice cream flavor, he'd be Pralines and dick. So enough about Rong-Way Rich. But that doesn't explain you people. The same people who told us at the start that Rong-Way Rich was a nut job and that there's no point in engaging him ... are the ones who've created this massive ode to stupidity by engaging him. You'd proven yourselves right by page 3. You win. So can we all take your initial advice and ignore him now? Because my brain is bleeding.
      Actually, dude, I recall only two of us saying this: JimR and me. You'll see that JimR never came back. I came back a few times, so "you people" is, well, me. (Nobby did warn me off, but that was different). Then you posted here too. So, eh, whatever.

I think Rich just likes to start an argument when he feels bored. He sure knows which buttons to push to get people going. With well over 200 responses in less than 5 days he has managed to get what he was after.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Sorry to disagree, but this silliness was worth it to: (a) hear Nobby crack the hammer -- i love it when Dick tells him what Lydiard said or thought -- and (b) gain Dick's admission that "my times haven't improved using my theories." It's the first time I've ever heard him answer that question directly. Compare this to his website statement that "I believe that power running gives me the best results and I believe it will do the same for you." Dick also concedes that he adopted the FIRST program after he stopped training "for performance," although he still runs "for fun." Perhaps Dick's inability to "train" is a consequence of his "run at a 10" FIRST philosophy. He might be able to "train for performance" if he truly accepted the idea of running easy. He'd rather type than train. This web trolling is just a weird lashing out.
          Rich_

I think Rich just likes to start an argument when he feels bored. He sure knows which buttons to push to get people going. With well over 200 responses in less than 5 days he has managed to get what he was after.
            Jim, I suspect that what I'm about to say will fall on deaf ears. It has been my observation that people tend to believe what they want to believe, despite what the facts or anyone else may say. My purpose for posting is never to start an argument. I post things about physiology and/or training that I think are interesting and/or useful to the running community. That's the reason I post stuff. Not to start an argument, call other people names, or other such nonsense. You have probably already noticed that I pretty much stick to discussing physiology and training and generally don't engage in the personal attacks that are so often used by others. I pretty much don't reply to personal attacks with a personal attack of my own. My modus operandi is to just post up physiology and training information. The penalty for doing this is that I get accused of the worst things and called all sorts of names. As it turns out, most of the physiological & training research that has come out in the past 20 years has been extremely challenging to the generally held physiological and training beliefs of the running community. This results in spirited discussions that quickly degrade to personal attacks. Since I'm usually the messenger of the new information I bear the brunt of the attacks.
              If Rich were an ice cream flavor, he'd be Pralines and dick.
              Well, there goes my appetite...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm tempted to have Rich train me for several months just to see what it's like and how much faster I'll get and how my endurance improves.
                Rich_

I'm tempted to have Rich train me for several months just to see what it's like and how much faster I'll get and how my endurance improves.
                  Okay, that works for me.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Okay, that works for me.
                    Hypothetically if I were to give you the follwing background: Been running 2.5 years two marathons 4:52 (underprepared) 4:32 (got sick late in training, raced smart/got lucky) most recent PR: 24:06 for a 5K Done racing for the balance of this year Recently (on 3rd consecutive week) transitioned to 5 runs per week have been building mileage and working on LT lately I am primarily focusing on the marathon as my primary race distance. and you were to take a look at my log, what would you recomend my schedule be next week? Rules: Don't talk to me about physiology. I don't care about it. The only thing I care about is getting faster. If my legs improve because aliens see me running and, impressed by my efforts, beam speed molecules into my quads, that's fine. I don't care what happens to my body other than I transport myself from a to b as fast as possible. Note: I'm not comitting to this yet.
                    Rich_

Hypothetically if I were to give you the follwing background: Been running 2.5 years two marathons 4:52 (underprepared) 4:32 (got sick late in training, raced smart/got lucky) most recent PR: 24:06 for a 5K Done racing for the balance of this year Recently (on 3rd consecutive week) transitioned to 5 runs per week have been building mileage and working on LT lately I am primarily focusing on the marathon as my primary race distance. and you were to take a look at my log, what would you recomend my schedule be next week? Rules: Don't talk to me about physiology. I don't care about it. The only thing I care about is getting faster. If my legs improve because aliens see me running and, impressed by my efforts, beam speed molecules into my quads, that's fine. I don't care what happens to my body other than I transport myself from a to b as fast as possible. Note: I'm not comitting to this yet.
                      Based on a 24 minute 5K you have the speed to run sub 4 in the marathon. When do you expect/plan/want to run your next marathon?
                        blue skies, Spend enough years on running boards, and watch Dick go through this a few dozen times. It gets old. Quick. That and I admit I have a natural low tolerance for blatantly negligent ignorance and stupidity (ie I could feel empathy for poor Dick if he was just naturally stupid, but he is consciously and purposefully ignorant, illogical, and deceitful to further his agenda).
                        Hanlon's Razor http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/h/HanlonsRazor.html
                        As for Noakes, that is a whole other entertaining story. There was a great thread on letsrun a few months back where I engaged him on his Central Governor theory. First he says you can't override it (a central tenant to its legitimacy), then contradicts himself and talks about how he overroad it all the time in the Comrades Marathon. I pointed out the inherent contradiction, and he back-talked himself and stated you can't contradict it. The poor man became so turned around that he finally said his whole point to the theory was that "the brain was involved". I see why he and Dick get along so well-- they follow the same logic (or lack thereof). They suffer one of the same fatal flaws -- truth and real science play second fiddle to the attempt to create some sort of theory to play the role of legacy for themselves.
                        Oh SNAP!!! See Dick, Nobby hits it right on the head. The reason you can't participate in any normal threads is because people ask questions and want to hear replies....from knowledge and experience, not pseudoscientific BS that knowledgable and trusted members of the board can eat for lunch. Since you have no knowledge or experience, yet feel you are the supreme expert, you get booted right quick.
                        Pride sullies the noblest character. Claudianus
                        And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Based on a 24 minute 5K you have the speed to run sub 4 in the marathon. When do you expect/plan/want to run your next marathon?
                          Mid May
                            Mid May
                            5-1 says he cribs something from the FIRST program.
                              FIRST includes VO2 Max and LT and Rich does not. Marius Bakken - Kenyan Training Principles: 1. Most years - base training (few easy runs)
                              This could consist of, like the Patrick Sang group (independent with eg. Ismael Kirui) doing 50 minutes of 3 minute running and 1 minute easy. This is done right over the LT, but not “dying hard” like many Europeans like to do them. It is all controlled. Total mileage is somewhere between 180 km-280 km, depending on the athlete. 21 sessions, or maybe one day with easy running is normal.
                              2. Few years - track (more easy runs)
                              When these athletes with the LT basetraining in the bottom starts to run well enough, European agents might recruit them. Then the training changes into being more of the running we are used to from European tracks. They can still do their regular 180 –280 km, but now the training is more interval based. Dr. Rosa who coaches Paul Tergat claims that in their group they do intervals every single day, including two-three track sessions a week. The five remaining sessions is then probably around their LT. In the Kim McDonald group, from the information Bob Kennedy and the Kenyan Francis Rop, much of the training consists of three hard track sessions a week. For long distance runners, for example one hill session of 10x300 m, one track session of 1600-1200-800-400-200 (Komen did that one in something like 3.52/2.51/1.51/52/24 at his best in Australia according to Bob) and then another track session of 400s, for example 4x5x400 m. The rest of the running is easy long runs, with only occational LT work – approx. mileage 180 km pr week. BUT these athletes have a broad base of LT running from a very young age. In a way, this track work is only a way of getting out that base of LT running. That might also be one of the reasons why some of the Kenyans “burn out” and disappear from the European running scene – because they simply lose some of their natural LT base.
                              The Kenyan secret comes from years of training at the right intensity – and a few years with harder track work. Most Europeans and Americans tend to start in the other end. At very low (and slow !) mileage they do these hard track sessions that simply kill the little endurance they have from the beginning of. The result is 15 minute 5000 m. runners training 14 sessions a week. My dramatic improvement from running 3.48 in the 1500 m/8.13 in the 3000 m. to 7.47 in the 3000/13.22 in the 5000 m. over under a year came from this LT training.
                              As for lactate threshold/oxygen vs central governor/muscle, maybe they can be integrated. 1. The Lactate threshold theory holds that your lactate levels and oxygen debt build up to the point that your body fails and you can run no further. 2. The central governor theory holds that your brain has a control mechanism which shuts your body down when it senses that you are generating too much heat and other by-products of muscle use. Note: I'm just learning.
                              And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Mr. Inertia- From looking at your log, especially your easy run last Sunday- You might want to cut out the 45 hour easy runs Shocked