Geese (Read 1006 times)

Baby bean!

Just watch the last 20 minutes of FastFood Nation...then people would see what he's talking about. If I wasn't already a vegetarian, that movie would have turned me. As for the article, he brings up a very good point in regards to animal cruelty. However, the punishment for animal abuse/cruelty is not harsh enough. A slap on the wrist, a petty fine. No wonder more people don't look at the raising of livestock and question the practices. Sad

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Geese poop all over the lakeshore running path in Chicago. I say, drive them into the ocean! (or lake).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

We raised livestock when I was a kid. Not full-fleged ranchers, but we always had a couple of cows, pigs, chickens, geese, etc.We gathered eggs from the chickens and killed them once in a while for food. We butchered one cow each year for the family. On the other hand, I worked part time in a feed lot during High School. We prepared cows for slaughter and market. I have no remorse about any of this activity. Raising animals for food is a good thing. A necessary thing. I wish more people would take the time to witness the butchering of cows, hogs, and chickens so they'd learn food doesn't come in little white packages. They'd also have some respect for the hard work that goes into the agricultural industry.
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?

De-slacking in progress

We raised livestock when I was a kid. Not full-fleged ranchers, but we always had a couple of cows, pigs, chickens, geese, etc.We gathered eggs from the chickens and killed them once in a while for food. We butchered one cow each year for the family. On the other hand, I worked part time in a feed lot during High School. We prepared cows for slaughter and market. I have no remorse about any of this activity. Raising animals for food is a good thing. A necessary thing. I wish more people would take the time to witness the butchering of cows, hogs, and chickens so they'd learn food doesn't come in little white packages. They'd also have some respect for the hard work that goes into the agricultural industry.
          AMEN- you're preachin to the choir here!! Grew up farming- beef,chickens- did all- from feeding to freezing. Nothing inhumane about anything we did. Actually, not to be gross anyone out, but the "process" of from hoof to package is interesting and not hard to learn. HTFU and eat your meat- thank a farmer the next time you stuff your pie hole. Gooses- no uses for- me hates 'em

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Tracie

The part about the geese standing up for a loved one is very sad. I couldn't kill it and don't judge those who do. Is it really necessary?
              Interesting article. Seems like a good law to me. Industrial-raised feedlot animals are a lot less healthy (to eat) than their pastured grass-fed cousins. I'm more interested in this from the human health standpoint than the animal cruelty standpoint. I have absolutely no problem with others killing animals for food and I also do it myself.
              Tracie

I have absolutely no problem with others killing animals for food and I also do it myself.
                Please before anyone gets mad at my posts ask me and I will respond respectfully. It may be a misunderstanding. Looking back I should have phrased it in a better way. I don't eat meat because I can't kill it. I don't know if it's right or wrong. The question is more about if it's necessary to consume meat for good health. And if it is what if you can't kill it? Is it okay? Am I too soft and should HTFU? Should questions like this not be asked here?
                xor

The question is more about if it's necessary to consume meat for good health.
                  Ah, "necessary" and "good health". Loaded words. It isn't necessary in the sense of spontaneous combustion. The world is full of vegetarians/vegans who live long long lives. So, no. But the terms are loaded because then you get into discussions (fights) about what "good health" really is.
                  And if it is what if you can't kill it? Is it okay?
                  One answer would be yes. The other would be no. Hopefully you'll get some reasoned input from the various sides to help you think. Just be prepared that you may also get You Suck/You Suck responses.
                  Am I too soft and should HTFU?
                  Lift weights.
                  Should questions like this not be asked here?
                  Everyone has different opinions. Expect no firm answers. Expect that divisive questions like this may cause fights and may cause pies to get thrown in your face. Maybe. Maybe not. I eat meat. Some meat. I don't eat things that were once bigger than me, which means no red meat. I also don't eat some things that were smaller than me.

Imminent Catastrophe

... The question is more about if it's necessary to consume meat for good health. And if it is what if you can't kill it? Is it okay? Am I too soft and should HTFU? Should questions like this not be asked here?
                    That's an Omnivore's Dilemma. Hey, somebody should write a book about that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Tracie

Ah, "necessary" and "good health". Loaded words. It isn't necessary in the sense of spontaneous combustion. The world is full of vegetarians/vegans who live long long lives. So, no. But the terms are loaded because then you get into discussions (fights) about what "good health" really is.
                      In this case maintaining or achieving peak running performance.
                      That's an Omnivore's Dilemma. Hey, somebody should write a book about that.
                      I'm looking for it now. Thanks.
                      Tracie

I just wanted to add that I've been very healthy on a vegetarian diet for many years. It's only when I stopped milk, cheese, and eggs and doing a lot of speedwork.
                        Lift weights.
                        It's profound answer. Strengthen outside and leave your heart soft?
                        I eat meat. Some meat. I don't eat things that were once bigger than me, which means no red meat. I also don't eat some things that were smaller than me.
                        Why do you make these distinctions?

running buddies

I eat meat of most kinds (don't like goose or duck, I admit). But as much as possible, I eat the meat that comes out of my freezer, which came from local, happy animals raised by people who I know. When I go out to dinner, I often choose vegetarian things, just to avoid eating unhappy animals. Okay, so they weren't happy when they were killed, but at least they were happy while they were alive. I can't imagine giving up milk, cheese, yogurt or eggs. Or chocolate, but that's a different thing altogether.
                          "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                          xor

I just wanted to add that I've been very healthy on a vegetarian diet for many years. It's only when I stopped milk, cheese, and eggs and doing a lot of speedwork. It's profound answer. Strengthen outside and leave your heart soft? Why do you make these distinctions?
                            "lift weights" was a joke answer. As for why I make the distinctions, it's because I choose not to eat pig and cow and venison and other big things, and I needed something to tell people when "I don't eat red meat" wasn't enough. It's a fun answer that avoids the debate that might ensue if I say "I don't like pig and I don't think eating cow is healthy". I personally hate debating stuff like this, so I just choose not to.

Tracie

"lift weights" was a joke answer. As for why I make the distinctions, it's because I choose not to eat pig and cow and venison and other big things, and I needed something to tell people when "I don't eat red meat" wasn't enough. It's a fun answer that avoids the debate that might ensue if I say "I don't like pig and I don't think eating cow is healthy". I personally hate debating stuff like this, so I just choose not to.
                              I gave you benefit of the doubt and tried to make it good thread. It's the controversial topics that you learn the most from. Ok it was mistake.