2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

DavePNW

Hawaiian pizza.

“Try before you deny!”—Argyle, Stranger Things.

MTA: I’d never order it, but I’d eat it. But I eat almost anything.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think I'll do that!

But you haven’t done it yet. 

I have no problem ordering a Hawaiian pizza in a restaurant as long as they have chilli oil.  

If the chilli oil isn’t actually spicy then my evening inevitably goes downhill from there. That 15% tip I was going to give is gone.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

I have no problem ordering a Hawaiian pizza in a restaurant as long as they have chilli oil.  

If the chilli oil isn’t actually spicy then my evening inevitably goes downhill from there. That 15% tip I was going to give is gone.

Is that a UK thing? I’ve never seen chili oil in a pizza place. In the US they always have red pepper flakes on the table if you want to make it spicy. We have a big jar of that at home, I use it on all kinds of things

Dave

mmerkle

Hawaiian pizza rules!!!!

Flavio My half PR is 1:18:04 but that was in 2014. I'm (clearly) not in that shape now, but my goal is to get back to that and then ideally surpass it. I think I'm young enough that I have enough years to work with. I fell out of "competitive" running for a few years but now I'm born again lol. And this time I don't die until I actually die.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I do think I'll try some sort of salt supplement.  I'm not sure the cramp is nutrition related though, it just happened way too early.  I can't express how much I'm hoping you get things sorted and have the chance to run a good race.

Keen - Yep, the body feels good except this on-going niggle which seems likely to be related to the cramp.  I'll just need to be careful it doesn't get worse and there's no better time than now to take a day off if it does get worse.

Some great weeks being posted.

I am suffering big time after 3 gigs in 3 nights.  Then last night for some inexplicable reason I lay awake until 2am.  Today is going to be rough.  100% worth it.  I got about 50 seconds of one of the slower (and awesome) songs.  That was as long as I wanted to keep my phone out.

Cold Desert Clip

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I am suffering big time after 3 gigs in 3 nights.  Then last night for some inexplicable reason I lay awake until 2am.  Today is going to be rough.  100% worth it.  I got about 50 seconds of one of the slower (and awesome) songs.  That was as long as I wanted to keep my phone out.

Cold Desert Clip

I'm not surprised!

Back when Soundwave Festival was running in Australia, a mate and I strung together a few epic concert runs as the bands would frequently play sideshows in NZ and/or Australia.  In 2010, we saw Clutch in NZ, then 3 days later AC/DC in Sydney, then the day after that was Soundwave in Sydney with Faith No More as the main headliner but plenty of other decent acts too.  2012 was especially nuts with Roger Waters playing The Wall in Auckland, then 4 days later Soundwave in Sydney (Machine Head were the absolute highlight but plenty of other good bands, too), then a Bush/Staind double header the next day, then Alter Bridge the day after.  2014 was quite a big year too I think as a number of the Soundwave bands played a big sideshow in Auckland a few days earlier, including Megadeth who had actually pulled out of Soundwave after a bust-up with the promoter (but still played their Auckland show).

No way could I manage that these days.

(btw good on you for just taking a short clip and that's all... I'm all for people grabbing a few photos or a short clip for the memories but can't stand people who watch the whole gig through their phone because they're streaming it on youtube for like 3 people... way to miss the point of a live concert!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Wow, I went to quite a few of those same shows, but the Melbourne versions.  It's possible I'd forgotten how great live music is.  Or that these particular gigs over the long weekend were the best I've ever been to.  I think a few quiet days may be required...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Is that a UK thing? I’ve never seen chili oil in a pizza place. In the US they always have red pepper flakes on the table if you want to make it spicy. We have a big jar of that at home, I use it on all kinds of things

I’ve never been to an Italian restaurant that didn’t have chilli oil. Flavio is the expert and will tell you if chilli oil on a pizza is acceptable or not!

I remember going to a posh restaurant years ago and being told that if you start putting salt and pepper on your food before you’ve even tasted the dish then that’s an insult to the chef. 

Steve - 3 gigs in 3 days is impressive! I watched Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix a few weeks ago and don’t think I could handle more than 1 gig every 2 months at my age now!

mmerkle - I didn’t realise you had a 1:18 half from 2014. I would expect you to easily go sub 2:45 if you continue to run consistently. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - It was quite common to have chili oil and regular olive oil at the table back in Italy.

I agree that adding anything to the food before tasting it is an insult to the chef, but that is directly related to how much effort they put into cooking it for you. If they just handed it over or just warmed it for you, or you're buying pizza at a kebab place, can they be considered a chef really? Now if Nonna Maria spent her afternoon cutting tagliatelle by hand and stewing the Ragù Bolognese, and you add salt to it, then you gonna get slapped 😂

I for one bow to you my Spicy food overlords as I can't even handle garlic these days Sad

I read I think it was Marby the other day stating they ate pasta aglio e olio for dinner, my stomach turned just reading that.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

DavePNW

I for one bow to you my Spicy food overlords as I can't even handle garlic these days Sad

Are you a vampire?

Dave

DavePNW

I watched Woodstock ‘99 on Netflix a few weeks ago 

Oh man that was a great documentary. What a shitshow.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Have you ever watched Hot Ones? I think you'll love it. Actually really good interviews, but hilarious to watch these celebrities suffer with hot wings.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

JMac Hot ones is a great show. I hear the hot sauce they produce is pretty good too, but I haven't ordered any myself yet. It's on the to-do list.

Mikkey Thanks, I sure hope so. I'm a little embarrassed that I'm climbing my way back to that but it is what it is. I sometimes wonder if eventually I could be a sub 2:40 guy, who knows.

Flavio Not sure if I've tried chili oil on pizza...

DavePNW

I remember going to a posh restaurant years ago and being told that if you start putting salt and pepper on your food before you’ve even tasted the dish then that’s an insult to the chef. 

If by "posh restaurant" you mean my house, and if by "chef" you mean my wife, then yes I'd agree.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio Not sure if I've tried chili oil on pizza...

In the US, I think it's a New England thing.   Colony Grill from Connecticut has a restaurant in Clarendon, and they offer "hot oil" pizza, which I think is another term for "chili oil."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.