2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

To be honest I prefer that one of the "Female" winning the swimming competition, and the competitors crowding on the other side of the podium 

This is Flávio’s favourite sporting image….

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio I have been going for an annual exam just to have a track record of "what is normal" in case something comes up.

What I do. I also enter the exam results into a spreadsheet cause I'm a nerd 🤓

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Can racecar driving, cricket, and golf to the list of "sports we don't recognize as sports anymore" while we're at it?

As a chessplayer, I keep shaking my head every time chess tries to get itself added to the Olympics. Sport has a physical component, chess does not. Sure your HR is elevated but that is not the same thing. I dont' think there's been any mention of "sport" but around here "Cornhole" is now a popular game (i.e. excuse to drink), I really want to know how many beers people had when they named that one!

Don't get me started on Cricket

What I do. I also enter the exam results into a spreadsheet cause I'm a nerd 🤓

would you like to know the standard deviation of my weekly mileage over the past year? I can tell you and if you really care I've got std dev of weekly hours spent running as well.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is wave 1 corral 6 pretty good? It's my first time and I'm kinda new to this who "wave/corral" thing

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Is wave 1 corral 6 pretty good? It's my first time and I'm kinda new to this who "wave/corral" thing

This is the runner's equivalent to someone "new to finance" asking "Is $1.6 million in my discretionary fund pretty good?" 

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

People who don't do strength training - Whatever floats your boat haha, but it does help a lot, once you start seeing the benefits it's hard to go back.

The people who don't strength train at all and don't get injured (Keen) drive the rest of us crazy. I imagine it's what obese people feel when they watch thin people eat a pint of ice cream all the time and never gain weight. Genetics are a bitch.

I tried some of the different squat stuff last night. Split squats seem to be the least beneficial for me, just don't feel them (but probably because I don't have weights!). I also discovered doing bulgarian squats that my quads are so tight because I feel crazy stretching!

Anyway my knee is still crap, can't sit for more than 10 minutes without it hurting like hell. This isn't going to be resolved with a few days off. We'll have to see if it's something I can try to resolve while running through or if I need real time off. I'll do a test run tomorrow. Will shut down immediately if it still hurts more than a 1.

If I need serious time off (more than 5 days), it's off to go get some golf lessons for the first time in 10 years as I need something else to do with my time!

Flavio - I'm going to pick up some weights, you've convinced me. Continuing to do the same routine I've done is not working, mainly because a) I don't do it enough b) I don't vary it enough and c) I haven't increase resistance enough.

Steve - as a Yankees fan, that was probably one of the lowest sports moments of my life. I don't follow baseball anymore though: the games are just way too long, the season is too long, and it's just not as exciting. I don't know if that's what happens with most people as they get older with baseball or the game is changing (or both).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is the runner's equivalent to someone "new to finance" asking "Is $1.6 million in my discretionary fund pretty good?" 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

*dusts off dictionary sitting on the shelf*

So firmly in the ‘casual hobby jogger’ level of running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I forgot in my posts to wish Mikkey good luck this weekend!

I forgot in my posts to wish Mikkey good luck this weekend!

Yes, good luck Mikkey!

I just looked at the weather for the Athens OH marathon Sunday, and naturally it's perfect since I won't be running. 33 at the start, 44 by the finish, clear and calm. 

2:52:16 (2018)

HermosaBoy

Good luck Mikkey!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yes, good luck Mikkey!

I just looked at the weather for the Athens OH marathon Sunday, and naturally it's perfect since I won't be running. 33 at the start, 44 by the finish, clear and calm. 

This is basically what the Boston 2020 forecast was. Always works out that way.

I tested the knee today for a mile. The first quarter mile felt much better than when I ran 3 days ago, but then it started getting more and more sore. I decided to shut it down at the mile mark. The pain had probably progressed to a 2 out of 10, but I knew it would probably get worse. I'm going to take off the next few days, but I'm definitely going to start up again on Monday for a total of 6 days off. I'm definitely not running the 10K next weekend, as I'd rather spend next week building up my training again and not tapering/recovering for a 10K since I didn't run at all this week.

I have a feeling this is going to be an injury I need to "work through" as it's a bit too late at this point to just take 3-4 weeks off. We'll see how it goes. I've been very aggressive with my rehab and plan on continuing to do so.

CalBears

How about this one? I was only 10 but I remember it.

Miracle on ice- February 1980 USA defeats Russia in, perhaps, the greatest underdog story ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88

PS- Maybe this will entice CAL to comment....

They would not call it a "miracle" for nothing. That's what happens once in 257 years. It was a disappointment, of course, but Russia was still THE BEST hockey Team in the World. Especially in 80s. 30 years later I still would love to see something even remotely close to the beauty of a game the Russian Team demonstrated those years. Maybe Russian Five in Detroit - those fives were a gift to the NHL. Sadly, after Soviet Union collapsed, not only our society tried to follow West way of life, but our sport moved to that direction too - as a result Russian hockey (and not only hockey - football, basketball, etc) pretty much sucks at the moment.

Cal: can you chime in on what you thought of doing regular Hadd tests and give your thoughts on the Maffetone test and method? You're the person I most wanted to hear from on that topic!

Hadd's tests were pretty good. The problem with any kinds of tests, imho, that you have to do them when you in a similar physical shape - I mean, you cannot have a rest for two days before one test and do 15 miles before another. So, you have to plan. I think, after you went through many training cycles, I would say, any tests do not add too much to what you already know. Like, in any Pfitz plan you do similar workouts every week, so, if your 13 miles MLR one week was at 7:50 pace and avg HR 149 and then four weeks later you ran a 15 miles MLR at 7:30 pace with 145 avg HR, you can say without doing any specific tests that your fitness improved dramatically. I don't do any MAFs tests because any of my recovery runs is a MAF run, at approximately 130-133 HR - so, I could see from those runs if I am better or worse.

I kind of backed up on running a little bit - you know what is happening in some part of the World close to my heart and that kills me every day. It's a very heavy feeling and priorities are definitely shifted. I hope things come back to normal with time. Didn't help that I had 21 miles trail run two weeks ago that not only destroyed me for days but I also got a severe case of poison ivy - stupid plant!

JMac - sorry to hear about knee problem, but it's hard to fight the aging... Btw, I do not do strengthening either, I know it helps me when I do at least something but I am not disciplined enough to make it a regular thing. Even planks.

Good luck to Mikkey! Show us how it should be done old man!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Best PROFESSIONAL hockey team. They were NOT amateurs which is why the Disney Princess ending was so great.

damn. Mikkey’s race isn’t on the RTRT.ME app. Can’t track him.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Best PROFESSIONAL hockey team. They were NOT amateurs which is why the Disney Princess ending was so great.

Ha-ha - you yourself called that a "miracle" - means - extremely rare event - so, yes, that was a miracle - I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Then everything got back on track for the next 10 years.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile