2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mr MattM

Hey MattyM!

I once ran a good 5K listening to Kashmir on a loop...

I'm too decrepit to race anymore, but I can still jog a bit.  Also, I could learn to play cowbells if needed.

cheers!

- rovatti

Hey there, rovatti!  Good to hear you can still put in some miles.  I am truly grateful that I can still pop in here once in a while and see the familiar hardcore folks from many years ago.  It's a good feeling.

And we can always use more cowbell!

be curious; not judgmental

Mr MattM

You're in!!

If Cal wasn't already voted lead singer and front-man you'd be it.

PS I like how the thread has matched my training so nicely.......Taper madness everywhere

PPS- DW is absolutely on the tambourines!!

I couldn't be happier!  I am content to play and do backing vocals.

I have a vague recollection of this thing called taper madness...

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Do we need to audition?  I had a tough time figuring out what to submit, so I'll just post this one.  Not too many play this one on solo acoustic.... Hope I make the cut!

Going To California

Edit:  If this doesn't get me in the band, can I try again?

This was such a good cover! Thank you for sharing. The SAHB should be proud to have you as their lead man!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

You're in!!

If Cal wasn't already voted lead singer and front-man you'd be it.

PS I like how the thread has matched my training so nicely.......Taper madness everywhere

PPS- DW is absolutely on the tambourines!!

Believe it or not, I actually can sing, but, I think Matt does it better (not to mention he has no accent Smile ) - so, definitely Matt is a lead man, I can probably help with back vocals. Never played drums though (or any other instruments  - except some native one.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Believe it or not, I actually can sing, but, I think Matt does it better (not to mention he has no accent Smile ) - so, definitely Matt is a lead man, I can probably help with back vocals. Never played drums though (or any other instruments  - except some native one.

This reminded me of when my wife and I dropped into an Irish bar years ago after a meal as there was this great sounding band playing. One of the band members had an accordion and I said to my wife that it’s such a beautiful instrument to listen to. Anyway, what did she get me for Christmas that year?…a Chanson 72 bass, 34 treble key accordion.   It is sooo hard to master even with a musical background (especially the buttons) and sadly it’s now gathering dust in the garage. 

Fishy - Good luck at Boston!  What’s your number?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Prediction: Mikkey edges out Cal.

I like that prediction. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

This reminded me of when my wife and I dropped into an Irish bar years ago after a meal as there was this great sounding band playing. One of the band members had an accordion and I said to my wife that it’s such a beautiful instrument to listen to. Anyway, what did she get me for Christmas that year?…a Chanson 72 bass, 34 treble key accordion.   It is sooo hard to master even with a musical background (especially the buttons) and sadly it’s now gathering dust in the garage. 

Fishy - Good luck at Boston!  What’s your number?

Thanks Mikkey! I'm bib # 12902.  wave 2 coral 5.   This is the furthest back I've ever started.  Hopefully I'll be passing a LOT of people.

Last JD workout today 2E with 3x 1T with 2 minutes rest it was 70 degrees and I hope the temps stay where they are forecasted and don't creep up.  Felt a little strange to be doing any quality this close to the race but JMac assures me I need to follow JD's last two weeks.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Excited to track! And yeah the quality is needed that close or you'll be stiff day of. His 2 minute rest is by design: it's double the normal rest so you're just running LT pace to keep the muscles fresh without tiring them out with short rest. In fact I bomb that workout every single race and feel terrible (sometimes it's slower than my 4x2T pre-taper), but for me that's how I know I'm ready!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mr MattM

Last JD workout today 2E with 3x 1T with 2 minutes rest it was 70 degrees and I hope the temps stay where they are forecasted and don't creep up.  Felt a little strange to be doing any quality this close to the race but JMac assures me I need to follow JD's last two weeks.

I don't see any issue with a little limited quality running leading up to race day.  If you rest too much you can start the race feeling sluggish/stale.  A little bit of sharpening can help keep everything ready to fire on race morning.  I would even do some fartlek type runs as close as 3 days before a race.  I almost always rested entirely 2 days before (which was also usually a travel day). Then I'd do a very easy run/jog the day before to get the muscles warmed up and loose.

Coming back here is making me miss the old days.  I went out and ran 5 at lunch at a 10:31 average pace.  The good news is, my toe is holding up better than it has previously.  I'd really like to get back up into the 10+ mile range, but I'm going to just take it slow and see how things go.

My Boston experience was not great (for many reasons).  I wish you all the best out there!  Get after it!

Fishyone

I don't see any issue with a little limited quality running leading up to race day.  If you rest too much you can start the race feeling sluggish/stale.  A little bit of sharpening can help keep everything ready to fire on race morning.  I would even do some fartlek type runs as close as 3 days before a race.  I almost always rested entirely 2 days before (which was also usually a travel day). Then I'd do a very easy run/jog the day before to get the muscles warmed up and loose.

Coming back here is making me miss the old days.  I went out and ran 5 at lunch at a 10:31 average pace.  The good news is, my toe is holding up better than it has previously.  I'd really like to get back up into the 10+ mile range, but I'm going to just take it slow and see how things go.

My Boston experience was not great (for many reasons).  I wish you all the best out there!  Get after it!

Thanks MrMatt! great to hear you were able to get out there today.  Sorry Boston was not good.  It is such a crap shoot weather wise I feel lucky with the forecast so far.  5 easy tomorrow maybe I'll throw in some strides.  I work about 2 miles from the finish line so the plan is to run down and take a look. I will NOT cross tomorrow for obvious superstitious reasons

Running Problem

Problem Child

MrMattM with how hard I had to work to get into Boston I’m sure it will fail to meet my expectations which is sad to think about.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mr MattM

MrMattM with how hard I had to work to get into Boston I’m sure it will fail to meet my expectations which is sad to think about.

I find it best to avoid expectations entirely.  That's how I live a life filled with pleasant surprises!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Boston has always been really easy to qualify for me because I’m old…but I’m pretty certain it won’t meet my expectations either.

I'm picturing loads of folk wearing Boston jackets high 5ing each other before and after the race. I’ll be wearing a motorcycle jacket and will be in and out of expo asap and won’t be discussing running with anyone.

On the plus side, it’ll be cool to meet up with a few runners that I’ve respected over the years. 👍

Fishyone

RP- If you can ignore the pain in the ass parts of it and accept the fact that you will be waiting for a longer amount of time than you will be running you'll be fine!  Athletes village is a TRIP.....I was a deadhead in the 80s and it reminded me of a dead show without all of the weed and acid!!  Just an amazing amount of runnergeeks.

I'm starting in wave 2 so you'll be leaving earlier than me. Message me if you want to meet up with one of your imaginary friends before you head down to the start.

Fishyone

Boston has always been really easy to qualify for me because I’m old…but I’m pretty certain it won’t meet my expectations either.

I'm picturing loads of folk wearing Boston jackets high 5ing each other before and after the race. I’ll be wearing a motorcycle jacket and will be in and out of expo asap and won’t be discussing running with anyone.

On the plus side, it’ll be cool to meet up with a few runners that I’ve respected over the years. 👍

MIKKEY- I have a Boston Jacket story. My first Boston was the year after the bombing and it was the first year that they didn't have a bag drop at the start in Hopkinton.  I was in the village talking to this other runner who was decked out in all brand new gear from the expo.  It was only right before the race that he found out he couldn't drop it.....he was devastated I felt so bad.