2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Fishyone

Ha-ha - you yourself called that a "miracle" - means - extremely rare event - so, yes, that was a miracle - I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Then everything got back on track for the next 10 years.

True but Rocky beat that big russian too.....sometimes miracles do happen twice

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CalBears

True but Rocky beat that big russian too.....sometimes miracles do happen twice

Well... He was not Russian, he was from Sweden - and we know sweedes are not the best fighters 

Not to mention, when did you see last a Hollywood movie where Americans lose? You have to watch other countries stuff for that, which I think you prefer not to do 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ha-ha - you yourself called that a "miracle" - means - extremely rare event - so, yes, that was a miracle - I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Then everything got back on track for the next 10 years.

The rare thing was seeing a truly non-professional team in the Olympics.  Not the victory.  Thankfully the Olympics have turned into nothing more than another ‘world championship.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey - have a great race!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Looks like Mikkey ran 3:06:15 at Brighton, pretty close to his goal time of 3:04:45. Nice job!

2:52:16 (2018)

HermosaBoy

Looks like Mikkey ran 3:06:15 at Brighton, pretty close to his goal time of 3:04:45. Nice job!

Bravo!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks for the good luck messages!  

I pretty much got the finish time I deserved after another interrupted and half arsed “marathon” cycle. My training runs since the half 3 weeks ago felt waaay harder than they should’ve done for some reason and this was the first time I’ve ever travelled to a marathon on race morning feeling completely uninterested with zero adrenaline and I ended up running the race on auto pilot….and sadly didn’t give any kid a high five.

On the plus side…I’ve improved my BQ time by 4 min and I’m now within 2min of Cals best shot this year!  I’m registered for 2 marathons in October (Abingdon and Amsterdam) and will decide nearer the time which one to run…hopefully it’ll be sub3 as I want to be in the same corral as the cool kids. 👍

I always love being the spectator after finishing a marathon because the atmosphere in the mile approaching the finish line is electric for the slower runners….spectators aren’t interested in some 100mpw runner who glides effortlessly to the finish line…they want to see an overweight undertrained person stagger/ crawl to the finish line and the cheers will be deafening…and I absolutely love it!

Cal - I would love to see a movie with the Americans being the losers. Give me some recommendations! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey nice job off your training cycle. It was 3 years since I came over Facebook is reminding me.

You are right watching those slower runners come in is very inspiring and emotional.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Fishyone

Nice work Mikkey!! I think running a race that you know you're not 100% trained for or mentally ready for is really tough.  To "cruise" to a 3:06 on a day you're unmotivated is a nice accomplishment indeed.

I agree about getting into wave 1.  I'm not happy to be starting in wave 2 at 10:25 instead of 10.  Hopefully next year I'll be up with the fast old guys.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey nice job off your training cycle. It was 3 years since I came over Facebook is reminding me.

You are right watching those slower runners come in is very inspiring and emotional.

Thanks Piwi and I hope you visit Brighton again!

I also hope that your wife got her job back after the ruling….don’t get me started on your PM!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nice work Mikkey!! I think running a race that you know you're not 100% trained for or mentally ready for is really tough.  To "cruise" to a 3:06 on a day you're unmotivated is a nice accomplishment indeed.

Thanks Fishy!

You’re next and we need to get a sub3 on the list…are you up for it?

CalBears

I pretty much got the finish time I deserved after another interrupted and half arsed “marathon” cycle. My training runs since the half 3 weeks ago felt waaay harder than they should’ve done for some reason and this was the first time I’ve ever travelled to a marathon on race morning feeling completely uninterested with zero adrenaline and I ended up running the race on auto pilot….and sadly didn’t give any kid a high five.

Ha-ha! It was quick change of views - just a month ago after my Napa race you said:

I’m not sure if he’s happy with that....but if I run a 3:05 next month at Brighton I will be inconsolable.

On the plus side…I’ve improved my BQ time by 4 min and I’m now within 2min of Cals best shot this year!  I’m registered for 2 marathons in October (Abingdon and Amsterdam) and will decide nearer the time which one to run…hopefully it’ll be sub3 as I want to be in the same corral as the cool kids. 👍

Well... Just to make you a little bit motivated - I can use my 2:50 marathon time from the November 2021 Revel race as a Boston qualifying time and get into Wave 1 without any problem  But I can use any of my 3:04 or 3:05 times to get into the same corral as you are - if you behave yourself. 

I always love being the spectator after finishing a marathon because the atmosphere in the mile approaching the finish line is electric for the slower runners….spectators aren’t interested in some 100mpw runner who glides effortlessly to the finish line…they want to see an overweight undertrained person stagger/ crawl to the finish line and the cheers will be deafening…and I absolutely love it!

I find it a little bit masochistic, sorry 

I pretty much got the finish time I deserved after another interrupted and half arsed “marathon” cycle. My training runs since the half 3 weeks ago felt waaay harder than they should’ve done for some reason and this was the first time I’ve ever travelled to a marathon on race morning feeling completely uninterested with zero adrenaline and I ended up running the race on auto pilot….

That's why I was kind of skeptical re your intentions to beat sub 2:50 next year. After trying to run a real sub 3 for a few last races, I realized that it became so much more difficult than just 5 years ago. Not only on a physical level, but on an emotional level too. I remember that great race results most of the times connected with elevated emotional state, and emotional state raises as well after your training data gets better and better. It's almost impossible to get better training data 5 years later, and it doesn't help with the emotional side of things. Exactly like you, I came to the few latest races way too calm emotionally - no excitement, no jitters, no expectations. Something changed. And it will be more difficult to change it than you think, I suspect.

And I do not think you can find any american movie where it loses - that would be masochistic too. Just imagine you pay money to watch a movie depicting how bad your nation is 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal Vs Mikkey at Boston 2023.

What is your gut feeling…who will win?

Fishyone

Thanks Fishy!

You’re next and we need to get a sub3 on the list…are you up for it?

I don't know all of this emotional/motivational malaise might be catching!!  Maybe I'll need to try to keep up with RP but he's in wave one so I can't catch him.

My best races have been even splits so if you see me fading It may be trouble.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Busy busy, so just dumping my week and running (except for a congrats to Mikkey on a competent performance).

"Movies about Americans losing" - isn't that every movie about the Vietnam conflict?

46 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 500 meters swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                                T: 10.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400 in 5:13, 5:02, 3:13, 3:12, 92, and 93. Recoveries were 1 lap jogged in between 2:42 and over 4 minutes. Followed with platelet lysate injections in back.
                                W: Off
                                Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                                F: 9 miles, including four 350m hill repeats (5% incline) with full recovery. Followed with injury prevention work.
                                Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:52) and yoga.
                                Su: 12.5 miles progressive, split as the first 4 miles averaging 9:50, next 4 averaging 8:28, and next 4.5 averaging 7:22 (and then 2 miles cooldown at 9:09 pace). Followed with injury prevention work and 500 meters recovery swimming.

Got my back injected again on Tuesday - they did L5 on down through the sacrum, and also threw in some prolotherapy of my SI joint.  I bruised a bit from the prolo, with the cool effect that you can see the top of my SI joint darkly outlined if you look at my back.

Felt tired the rest of the week - this is consistent with PRP/PL, which always seems to drain my energy for about a week after.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.