Bonk City (Read 1030 times)

I suspect NaderAlfie has been telling quite a few jokes in his many recent posts.
    Jake, I really haven't told a single joke in my posts. I am really that unintentionally ridiculous (at this point ) in my approach to running. I can tell from some of your replies that you were able to appreciate this fact quickly, which makes me all the more appreciative that of your taking the time to answer my serious questions seriously, anyway. Same to all. And for the record, my wife really set the no-running-under-50F rule, but might have been persuaded when it got to around 40-45F.
    what did you eat on the run besides some grapefruit juice? over 3 hrs running/walking without food will cause a bonk
    That was all I had.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The voice of mile 18

you burn too many calories running for over 3 hrs you have to take calories in while running some reading for you: http://www.marathonbible.com/marathon-glycogen-levels.html http://www.marathonbible.com/marathontrainingnutrition.html http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-269-12420-0,00.html

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

No running under 50F... Ugh... I prefer not to run when it's over 15C (which is 59), and I'll go down to -40 (the common point between C and F) It was warm this morning, between 0 and 5C, and I had long pants, two thin long sleeve tech shirts (realy, the air goes right through them... I've got one a little heavier I wear by itself, but it's in the wash) and a vest on. I started with cotton gloves and a toque, and they both came off around the halfway point. Seriously, you have my utmost respect. I don't think I've ever managed more than 8km on a treadmill. I've done 19km on a 200m indoor track, but treadmills make me crazy. And sweaty.
          And for the record, my wife really set the no-running-under-50F rule
          This is the part I don't understand. But I guess everyone lives differently. Does she read the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/health/nutrition/17BEST.html?_r=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition&oref=slogin
          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
            Thanks, Chris. I'll forward this to her.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

A Saucy Wench

Ugh...I am with Viich. 50 degrees is near the top of the comfort zone for temp. 50 is shorts and tshirt weather for sure. If it is race day you will hear some whining out of me if it goes above ~60. It is hard to START when its cold but it is good to run in it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ugh...I am with Viich. 50 degrees is near the top of the comfort zone for temp. 50 is shorts and tshirt weather for sure. If it is race day you will hear some whining out of me if it goes above ~60.
                I'm glad to hear some people agree with me on this. I hate it when someone says, "wow, it must have been a beautiful day for your run," because I wanna say, "No, it's 75°F out. It sucked." I hate running in anything above 60°F, esp if the brutal, oppressive sun is out.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                  The general rule of thumb is that it's never too cold to run outside as long as you are properly dressed for it. I've run year round for the last seven years here in Michigan with runs at temps down to -10F. Fifty degrees is literally shorts and a singlet weather. You are missing out on a lot by waiting for 50+ degrees before running outside. Tom

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Thanks guys. I probably could have done better in the refueling/hydrating on the run dept. I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                    My general rule of thumb is to never listen to my wife when it comes to running.

Why is it sideways?

My general rule of thumb is to never listen to my wife when it comes to running.
                      Ha!

Sandi Sue

Thanks guys. I probably could have done better in the refueling/hydrating on the run dept. Jilly, I didn't run outside because my wife won't let me run outside until it's 50 degrees F. Is there a general rule of thumb on that?
                        For Christ's sake man, get a backbone, run when and where you want to run, and go out and get a book how to train.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Hoodoo Guru

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The tangents are moot.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Make that "spouse," please! Wink

A Saucy Wench

I'm glad to hear some people agree with me on this. I hate it when someone says, "wow, it must have been a beautiful day for your run," because I wanna say, "No, it's 75°F out. It sucked." I hate running in anything above 60°F, esp if the brutal, oppressive sun is out.
                              Yeah...last year for my favorite HM (first sub2) it was 52 and drizzly..just a very light spritz. Perfect. People acted like to do a good race in THAT HORRID WEATHER was an added challenge. uhhh nuh

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best post ever. If my wife tells me I need a rest day, I make it a point to run that day. Wink