Winter shoe suggestions (Read 1238 times)

itsonlyme

Does anyone have any suggestions for cold weather running shoes? I buy neutrals (cushion) I have SEVERAL pairs of running shoes but they all have breathable uppers, need something warmer as I run outside pretty much year around, I need suggestions for road running as I don't  have any problems finding a good trail shoe. I appreciate any help, maybe its too early for the winter running shoes? I ran in Pearl Izumi's last winter and they are fine its just that they can be a tad heavy on longer runs.

Thanks   Blush

Does anyone have any suggestions for cold weather running shoes? I buy neutrals (cushion) I have SEVERAL pairs of running shoes but they all have breathable uppers, need something warmer as I run outside pretty much year around, I need suggestions for road running as I don't  have any problems finding a good trail shoe. I appreciate any help, maybe its too early for the winter running shoes? I ran in Pearl Izumi's last winter and they are fine its just that they can be a tad heavy on longer runs.

Thanks   Blush

I have my favorite shoes (ASICS Tarther) in size 9.5 and 10.0.  The latter for winter (in MN) with thicker socks.  17 years in Minnesota, the worst condition being -60F with windchill, I had never had any problem with shoes.  Your feet take a lot of pounding that produce quite a bit of heat.  Okay, I'll take it back.  I did have (at least) once problem with shoes in winter in MN.  This particular pair had ventilation holes on the bottom of the shoes (like HyperSpeed but this particular one had several holes on the arch area) and, when I stepped on icy water puddle, boy, that was nasty!!  But only for a while though.  Soon poundings took care of it.

I don't know where you're located; I don't know what kind of winter you're facing; but I've seen more runners with exposed ankles (with low-cut socks) or expensive brand gloves that wind goes right through and, to me, these cause heck of a lot more problems than any shoe I've ever worn.  Trust me.

SMART Approach

I run at all temps. Nobby has me - I have only run as low as -35 degree windchills in Green Bay. You don't need special shoes - your feet stay warm with the pounding. Just make sure the socks cover your ankle where you pants may not get down to. Also, you can wear 2 thinner layers of socks with same purpose of extra layers on top.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

itsonlyme

Thanks, I guess I will just use my current ones, I live in Utah where we have been getting some pretty cold winters the last couple of years, I normally go out of my way to get shoes with allot of ventilation because my feet do heat up, but I don't do too well when they get cold either and was just looking for something with no ventilation across the front that may be a little more water proof for running on the streets. I live in a rural area with numerous potholes and such. Just thought maybe some of the big names out there may make a winter version. We don't have -35 but it still gets darn cold.
            I do buy my running shoes bigger to accomodate extra socks.
            Thanks for the reply.

SMART Approach

Also, if any ice/snow, I wear these with great success

http://www.amazon.com/YakTrax-YAKTRAX-Pro-Shoe-Crampon/dp/B002J94QZU

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Also, if any ice/snow, I wear these with great success

http://www.amazon.com/YakTrax-YAKTRAX-Pro-Shoe-Crampon/dp/B002J94QZU

I'm a MN guy and in the same boat as Nobby & Tchuck. I tend to wear the same socks as I do in summer but may rotate in wool a bit more, same shoes, same everything. On the rare icy days where you will slip and fall I put on the yaktrax and they are wonderful.

flatland mountaineer

I will switch to smartwool standard length socks over a synthetic at about 10 or less. I kinda like trail shoes that have a tighter mesh in the winter also, better traction on snow and ice and you don't get that horsehoe buildup of snow in the heel. I have also stuck a piece of duct tape over the toe of my road shoes on wind chill days. It works great, get too hot just rip it off. Wind chill is one thing in town with buildings and trees and houses etc and quite another on the lone treeless pairie where I run.

Katoola microspikes are more durable than standard yak-trax if your route is all snow or ice covered, although they might frown on you if you wore them in the post office or coffee shop........Then there are also screw shoes, or the NB trail shoes with spikes, aluminum crampons or the new Yak - Trax product that is somewhere in between a full on crampon and a traction aid.

I am running in Pearl Izumi XC fuels now and love em, will go road or trail.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I have also stuck a piece of duct tape over the toe of my road shoes on wind chill days. It works great, get too hot just rip it off. 

Sweet! Sounds like a great tip, I'll give that a whirl. 

spinach

I am in Minnesota also and I don't have much problems with the uppers.  The only time I have problems with the uppers is when it is warm enough out for there to be slush on the roads and the open mesh uppers let my feet get wet.  Not much fun.

The bigger problem I have here are the soles.  I do most of my running in shoes with fairly smooth soles (Nike marathoners or frees) I don't get much traction in snow.  So when there is snow on the roads I need to wear a heavier pair of shoes with some traction.  The last two years I had a NB pair that was okay but that has worn out.  I also have a Nike pegasus that i don't really like but it does have some traction so I will probably be wearing that this weekend. 

The other big change I need to do for winter are the socks.  I wear the shoe high socks during most of the year but in winter in change to socks that go well up my leg, wool when it is below zero or the performance material running socks for warmer temperatures.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

says barefoot jehu.

Smile

Barefoot screw shoes might be a good way to build mental toughness.

More mental than toughness, but still...