Frothy protein shakes! (Read 1224 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, I do like you, if only because you like monkeys. After a hard run, when my stomach is questionable, I usually hit a fruit smoothie (homemade yogurt which, of course, has whey and casein Wink with some fruits and maybe a touch o sugar). I also find that eggs go down very easily, so I'll often scramble some up. That gets me my recovery calories with protein and carbs. You know, real food Wink
    Scout7

Isn't reality shaped by our perceptions? So if they perceive it to be real, then it is. Yeah, run that up your flagpole and see who salutes.

The Greatest of All Time

Hey, I do like you, if only because you like monkeys. After a hard run, when my stomach is questionable, I usually hit a fruit smoothie (homemade yogurt which, of course, has whey and casein Wink with some fruits and maybe a touch o sugar). I also find that eggs go down very easily, so I'll often scramble some up. That gets me my recovery calories with protein and carbs. You know, real food Wink
        My other undergrad degree was in physical anthropology (minor microbiology) so I love primates. I jokingly claim I want a pet monkey but the wife continues to veto as a matter of course. I could watch active monkeys all day (and have for a class), and I find lemurs to be quite fascinating too. And, I hate eggs with a passion but could eat oatmeal everyday for the rest of my life.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oats are a good recovery and a great pre-run food. Do you ever do steel cut oats? They are the best~!

The Greatest of All Time

Do you ever do steel cut oats?
            I don't even know what that is! My oatmeal comes out of a packet. You put some hot water on it and eat it. Ghetto fabulous baby. Here is a nice, good carbohydrate meal I sort of invented....prepare one pack of oatmeal (instant or whatever, pick your flavor), then put some Grape Nuts on top of it, add milk, mix and eat. You can also throw a handful of Total or Wheaties on it just for kicks. The milk gets sort of warm from the hot oatmeal....I love it! It's a fiber bomb too.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, that is a great fiber bomb. The oatmeal packets are instant. That means, they have been cooked completely and then dried out. They lose some of their nutrition, flavor and character that way. This is, in part, why you add the grape nuts, to get some texture back. Slow-cooking oats (i.e., not instant) can be either rolled or steel cut. Most of what we eat and know in this country is/are rolled oats. With rolled oats, the grain is steamed until it is soft (but not cooked) and it is pressed between two rollers and made flat. That makes it cook more quickly and gives it a better mouthfeel than whole grain. Steel cut oats runs the grain through an apparatus that basically cuts each grain into littler bits. These retain more of the oats' original chewiness and texture, but they cook relatively quickly like the rolled oats. I prefer the steel cut oats. They are also fairly popular on the British Isles and can be bought at most health food stores that have bulk grains and beans. To cook either, the easiest way to do it is to have one part grain to 4ish parts water. You can use a crock pot, an oven or a cast iron pot. Heat the water to boiling. Add the oats with perhaps a touch of salt. Heat back to boiling and keep it hot for about 45 minutes. It takes very little work. I usually heat mine in the cast iron pot with a lid and then stick it in the oven set to 300 degrees and then turned off. I do this before my run and come home to fabulous oats. You will never go back to instant again Smile

The Greatest of All Time

You will never go back to instant again Smile
                I go to the health food store every Saturday to buy ostrich meat, so I will check the 'good' oats out and give them a try. I have had oats other than instant ones, but I typically use them because they are quick and I have almost no time to cook during the week. I don't think I have ever tasted oats I didn't like. Grits, now that's a whole different story. When I went to basic training in Georgia I was in the mess hall on the morning of day 1 and I got a bowl of what I thought was cream of wheat. Wrong. Grits. I didn't even know what the hell a grit was. I never learned to like them, but I have seen them eaten a ton of different ways depeding on where the consumer was from geographically. Hot sauce, butter, maple syrup, etc.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You pro'ly ate instant grits. There is no greater sin than instant grits. None. Grits are southern polenta. I love my grits. Love em! BTW, cheese grits almost make up for the existence of instant grits. Almost.

The Greatest of All Time

You pro'ly ate instant grits. There is no greater sin than instant grits. None. Grits are southern polenta. I love my grits. Love me!
                    You can keep your grits, but I will love your monkey.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Try the real thing sometime...you may change your ways Wink MTA: BTW, I was just near your neck of the woods this morning, I ran along the Chicago Lakefront. NICE.

The Greatest of All Time

Try the real thing sometime...you may change your ways Wink MTA: BTW, I was just near your neck of the woods this morning, I ran along the Chicago Lakefront. NICE.
                        It got up to almost 50 here today and was mostly sunny. I can smell spring in the air. I work downtown or about 5 blocks from the lake front and would love to be able to run during lunch but have no shower at work. Enjoy your stay with us yankees?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool. I ran this morning from the Drake hotel where I was staying down to the Observatory and back. 7.5 miles, mid 20s and a light wind with loads of sun. Afterwards I had breakfast at the hotel, loads of fresh fruit, French butter on toast and, of course, an egg over easy. What a recovery meal. Where do you work downtown? I went to Northwestern and I get up to Chicago all the time. My sister lives there and so I visit her often too. This trip was to attend and speak at a conference, but I got to see the fam and eat at a few good places (Joe's, Reza's and Manny's, to name a few).

The Greatest of All Time

Cool. I ran this morning from the Drake hotel where I was staying down to the Observatory and back. 7.5 miles, mid 20s and a light wind with loads of sun. Afterwards I had breakfast at the hotel, loads of fresh fruit, French butter on toast and, of course, an egg over easy. What a recovery meal. Where do you work downtown? I went to Northwestern and I get up to Chicago all the time. My sister lives there and so I visit her often too. This trip was to attend and speak at a conference, but I got to see the fam and eat at a few good places (Joe's, Reza's and Manny's, to name a few).
                            The Drake! Nice digs. I work on Wacker and Randolph. The window in my office looks south towards the Sears Tower and over the Chicago River.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice, you are right ON the river and just a touch west of the park and the bean. I had another meeting back in November and stayed at the Congress Plaza (hard to put in the same thread as the Drake) and had some Giordanos from right near the bean. Great place to visit. My sister lives near Humboldt Park, where I ran in December in the snow.

The Greatest of All Time

Nice, you are right ON the river and just a touch west of the park and the bean. I had another meeting back in November and stayed at the Congress Plaza (hard to put in the same thread as the Drake) and had some Giordanos from right near the bean. Great place to visit. My sister lives near Humboldt Park, where I ran in December in the snow.
                                I like my office view. Whenever I get stressed I just swing my chair around, put my feet up on my credenza, and stare out the window. Two minutes of that reboots my operating system and gets me refocused. What business are you in? Medicine?