Looking for Feedback for Garmin Forerunner 405 (Read 1115 times)

Aarionsol

Howdy all, as title says I am looking to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 405 and was wondering what the feedback on one is from those that use? I am now using the Nike+ Ipod sensor but while enjoy my Nano, never seem to get the sensor to calibrate correctly or log mileage / time / pace correctly (have to use car to retrace run patch to ensure accuracy). I am in training for first full marathon in less than 4 weeks and I have noticed I have changed my run style for longer running (shorten stride). While this has been effective, it again has wreaked havoc on the poor sensor. I try to recalibrate but never seems to get close enough. Also of note I am on my third sensor as the battery does not seem to last long for me (and I only wear the shoes on runs!). The Forerunner 405 seems like a great replacement. Is it accurate on mileage? Thanks for any help.
      I also got tired of my Nike+ constantly giving me wrong mileage. On average it was 10% off, better when I went slower, but even 10% is a lot when you're doing 20 mile runs. I broke down earlier this month and got a Garmin 405 and I love it. I no longer have to remember every road I turn on so that I can map it and get accurate mileage. I generally come within hundredths of a mile to what I get on a map. I also love that I get accurate mile splits as well so that I can analyze it better than I could with the Nike+. It also helps that it integrates so nicely with my RunningAhead log Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

I have the 405 and have a love/hate relationship with it. When it's working it's great but the ANTstick (wireless download) and some of the Garmin software has continual issues, it just "lost" my Half Marathon race data from yesterday. There's a 405 user group here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/forerunner405/Forum also a bunch of threads if you search RA for "garmin 405" you'll get plenty of info. Personally if I had to do it again I'd probably go with the 305, the USB system seems a lot more reliable than bluetooth and it's easier to read and use. If you can get past the size/geek factor. And it's cheaper too. They're both very accurate and the integration with RunningAhead log is fantastic. Accuracy is not quite as good in elevation as a altimeter-based system like on the Polar footpods, though. I wish it had that feature. But of course you don't have to calibrate the GPS.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jwhpa

I've had my 405 since last summer. I found it to be somewhat irratic initially. When it's really hot and you're sweating lots the bezel was easily activated. I have solved this problem by turning the bezel off during runs. I set up the screens for specific needs like overdistance, intervals, or whatever and just maintain that screen during the run. My dog modified my 405's band and I had to send it back for repair. After 3 weeks I'd heard nothing, so I emailed them. The service dept quickly emailed me back and said it must have been a computer error causing the delay. A different watch came back to me, so my guess is that they lost mine. This one works better than my original and is pristine (I had scratched the bezel on a locker door). I think the new one has more recent system software. My current glitch is with the pulse monitor going wild at the beginning of a run. I think it may be a conduction problem. I'm going to substitute electrode gel for spit to see if this problem goes away. My guess is that it will. The Mac software has now come online and I am extremely pleased. The ANT has worked flawlessly. The garminconnect.com site is magnificant! I'm considering getting my wife a green one for Mother's Day so she can track her walks/runs/bike rides. Overall, I highly recommend the 405. It does have some idiosyncracies, but so do I. JH

cat/dog furniture

Overall satisfied. The integration of my running log with the Garmin closes the deal. Smile
            jpdeaux

Read the other 405 vs 305 threads also for good information. I'm assuming you are considering your 405 versus the older Garmin 305. I've used both the 305 and the 405. I wear the 405 most often now, but still prefer some 305 features. In the rain, 305 buttons are more reliable than the 405 touch-sensitive bezel. So you need to disable the bezel, and its features, in the rain and sometimes even when wearing long sleeves. The screen on the 405 is smaller, with only 3 fields max displayed. The 305 displays up to four fields on its bigger screen, and is easier on older eyes, especially with fewer fields displayed on a screen. The 405 is lighter and fits my narrow wrist better than the 305. With respect to possible data loss, if I upload automatically via the ANT stick twice in a row without pulling data into Training Center or RA, then it SEEMS as though I sometimes lose the earlier workout(s). Not so. If I "force an upload" from the 405 it will dump everything and TC will pick up all previous runs. RA may double some runs though, so be careful. You need to conscientiously charge the 405 since its watch feature runs down the batteries in a few days. The 305 doesn't discharge its battery (much) when it's off. I suppose it may trickle the charge down, but I've never noticed. The 405 is faster getting a satellite fix from its last-used location in my experience. All I do is activate the 405 and wait about 30 seconds to get going. With the 305 I need to place it outside for a few minutes to speed up the fix. And for accuracy, I can't judge which one was correct, but the 305 always showed longer distances. My suspicion is the 405 may be slightly more accurate. Also the backlight is brighter with more contrast and a more pleasing whiter color on the 405. This might outweigh the larger screen of the 305. Scrolling through long lists of workouts or options with the 405 bezel, though, is a RPITA. You may not do that often however. At least holding the 305 button down scrolls continuously through lists. No such thing on the 405. You kind of look like you're casting a spell, or massaging your pet turtle, when you spin your finger around the 405 bezel 50 times to find a workout or option. The 405 is much cooler looking. And while it's only about 3/4 oz. lighter it seems much lighter. Note that sometimes the 405 is sold sans HR Monitor for $50 or so less. The 305 HRM works fine with the 405. Note also that I went through four (4) 305's (yes, returned 4 Garmin 305's to the store) in the first year and a half because of various issues. (Yes, one or two of those may have been the lockup that the Lap+Mode key combo would have resolved.) I've used the same 405 since the day they were introduced (at the 2008 Boston Marathon Expo) and never had a blip or a lockup. Hope this helps. Bottom line: Not perfect, but I wouldn't want to be without the 405.
                I've had the Garmin 405 for about a year now. Once you learn to lock the bezel during a run, everything is A-OK. Initially the software was a bit clunky, however after a few firmware upgrade, all is well for me. I definitely recommend upgrading the firmware ASAP if you get one: http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_forerunner405-firmware-upgrades_en.html Other than that, there are many threads on the subject, especially 305 vs 405.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I've had my 405 since last summer. I found it to be somewhat irratic initially. When it's really hot and you're sweating lots the bezel was easily activated. I have solved this problem by turning the bezel off during runs. I set up the screens for specific needs like overdistance, intervals, or whatever and just maintain that screen during the run.
                  I had an issue with the bezel at first because I wanted to be able to switch between screens while I run. So now it's just set up to autoscroll and I lock the bezel. To the OP, I love my 405. I got it in green because it's pretty and I've become pretty attached and dependent on it. Like has been said, it uploads right to here very easily and is pretty accurate. I do find issues with the battery because the watch feature is always on, but as long as I throw it on the charger regularly, then it's not really an issue. I can't really say anything for the HR monitor. I didn't get it for mine because it was cheaper without. Since I don't ever train by HR, though, it's really not a big deal not having it and nice that I could get it cheaper.

www.gypsygentilli.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Garmin 305 vs Garmin 405 thread http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/ff4ded781e4944ea9181228a70d1901e

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.