New York Times food article (Read 4530 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's interesting. How much old yogurt do you need? And does it matter what kind it is? Does it have to be old home-made yogurt or could I use the end of a quart of Stonyfield Farms? And are you using whole milk?
    You can use any yogurt with active culture, including the stonyfield farms or the yogurt from the last batch you made. Try to get plain if possible. You can use any kind of milk, although I have found that skim just does not hold up well. I usually use 1%, but used to use whole milk (I had my cholesterol checked, the rest is history). I use the French quart jars with the clamp lids, but any jar will do. For each jar, I add about 2-3 tablespoons full of the old yogurt. Once mixed with the cooled (but still warm) milk, it needs to sit overnight. I usually put it in an oven that I set to warm, then turned off. In the still warm oven, I wrap the jars in a towel. The next morning, the yogurt will be a bit stiff and may have some liquid on top of it. If it is still milk, let it sit another few hours.
    dillydoodles

OK... forget the link. I defer to your expertise.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like Trent said, with a few more details ... http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt :-)
        Some comments on this link - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER try to sterilize the milk. If you boil it, you will ruin it for yogurt making. Period. End of story. Pasteurization is more than adequate. The bacteria you are adding from the old yogurt will suppress any pathogens. You heat the milk to 180 degrees NOT TO STERILIZE IT, but to denature some of the milk proteins that will inhibit the growth of the yogurt bacteria. I never add powdered milk. If I am using milk, why add powdered milk? And in the spirit of Pollak's article, that is fairly engineered and unnatural. Otherwise, this is a good reference Big grin
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cost is the BIG problem, but the problem has more to do with the way in which our economic system functions than with the actual costs of eating vegetables. The costs of eating Ramen and Mac & Cheese are deferred costs--they show up in medical bills down the road. The immediate price of processed food is kept down by deferring environmental and social costs--and shipping these costs to the third world.
          Yep. I learned this quickly during the years that I was strict low-carbing (ie no white flour, white sugar, processed foods, trans-fats, etc.). Our grocery bills went up a good deal while eating fresh veggies, salads, fresh meats, and other whole foods, but we all felt SO much better. I am eating more grains and higher glycemic foods than I did before taking up running, but still avoiding processed grains. There's just no nutritional value in white flour or white sugar. I try to limit my sugar intake to my running days and packets of GU. My recent cholesterol and triglyceride #s show that what I'm doing is right on. Speaking of yogurt, this is my recipe: Heating Pad Yogurt I have made my own yogurt using a gallon of whole milk, it's very simple and so much better than store bought yogurt. I divide the gallon into 4 1qt. containers and nuke the milk until it is at 180-185° (checking every few minutes with a meat thermometer), then cool it (covered) to 110-115° at room temperature (it takes about 90 minutes in a seventyish degree home with few drafts), then add 2TB of Dannon plain full fat (though non fat and fat free work just as well), set containers in a medium-sized cooler under a heating pad set to low, close the lid, and allow to "incubate" UNDISTURBED for 8-24 hours (the longer the incubation, the stronger the yogurt flavor). Variation: for creamier, richer yogurt 3C Whole milk 6oz. Heavy Cream 2oz. plain yogurt starter Draining for yogurt cheese (Yocheese/Greek-style yogurt): Either use a yogurt cheese funnel or line a colander with cheesecloth, large coffee filter or layers of white paper towels. Set the colander over a large bowl. Spoon in the yogurt and put in the fridge. Cover and allow to drain for 2 to 10 hours, depending on the consistency desired. Discard the drained off whey. Store in fridge. Pour off any liquid that drains from the cheese before using. Can be used as a substitute for cream cheese, sour cream, or even mayo. It is also wonderful with DaVinci sugar-free syrup stirred-in. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Our new thing is asparagus - do you KNOW what a big bundle of asparagus costs?
            Not much in Nashville because you can't find them. At least I have never been able to find decent produce here and believe me, I have tried. I feel lucky if I can find a couple apples, bananas, potatoes, and onions that look decent. I confess that I usually shop around 9 or 10 at night and have noticed better luck when shopping before the evening post-work crowd. I can't wait until Whole Foods opens. I thought it was supposed to be here 3 years ago. Confused (note - I have only read enough of this thread to realize that some of you cook really good food really well and to remind myself that I clearly need a husband to cook for me - after he finishes cleaning my bathroom. Wink)
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

OK... forget the link.
              No, it was a good link, except for a couple of points. But I do feel strongly about them. Anybody who takes a simple food making exercise and turns it into a scary lab experiment will frighten off potential cooks. This happens all the time. Cleanliness and sterility are far overrated. We did very will for many mellinia without antibacterial soaps or pasteurization.
              Not much in Nashville because you can't find them. At least I have never been able to find decent produce here and believe me, I have tried.
              Abs, are you out of your mind?!?!? There is fabulous produce in Nashville. Really great stuff. Especially in the warmer months. Helllloooo. My sister once came to visit from California and commented on how much better our produce was than what she gets out there. Farmer's Market Harris Teeter Publix K&S World Market even WalMart and Costco And Abs, the produce at Whole Foods and Wild Oats is flavorless and overpriced. Pretty to look at perhaps, but it does not belong in your mouth. (for those who don't know, I actually know Abs and am giving her heck with my tongue planted firmly in cheek...but that said, the produce in town really is good)
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Trent - thanks for the article. I had to print it out to read it, but worth the time. Smile I've only had a basic nutrition class, and almost all of our time was indeed spent talking about nutrients... Fascinating read.

Roads were made for journeys...

Why is it sideways?

To quote a smart guy, who was quoting a less smart guy, who accidentally said something smart, and then wasn't smart enough to remember it: "Anyone who brings up politics on this board ... is, by definition and by virtue of my unilateral decree, a wootless asshat." signed the dirty hippie.
                  Black eye BUSTED. Who's smart now? Confused Modified to add: Trent, you forgot The Produce Place!
                    STR or whatever your initials are: Of course I am out of my mind. But you knew that long ago. I admit that part of my produce problem is really that I get my groceries at night. I have been to Wild Oats a couple times and found stuff that looks no better than anything else - and could not bring myself to spend way too much for bad produce. (I dont think I have ever been to a grocery store without buying anything before!) I confess I agree about the farmers market. But they are not open evenings or Sundays. Nor is Produce Place for that matter - and anyway they only have stuff if you get there at the crack of dawn when I am either working or fast asleep. I am not expecting fresh berries in Feb, but potatoes without roots growing from the eyes would be nice. When Whole Foods came to DC, the other stores miraculously "found" better produce. The thing I really like about WF is theire prices are actually comparable to non-fancy grocery stores for produce and stuff like that. (Their fish and cheese and prepared food is another story.) Farmer's Market - got me there. Except for the aforementioned hours. Harris Teeter - Just went there tonight. I was able to find a few apples (in a not so favored variety) which weren't totally smushed and bananas that werent totally brown after picking through a bunch. No pears which I would exect in winter. Publix - Havent been there. It is "far" from me. (translation: more than 2-3 miles Tongue) They seemed OK in Fl. K&S World Market - Huh? Where is this? Got me again. (Nolensville?) WalMart and Costco - Havent tried. I dont shop at walmart on principal and I just dont believe Costco is the place to go.
                    Abs, are you out of your mind?!?!? There is fabulous produce in Nashville. Really great stuff. Especially in the warmer months. Helllloooo. My sister once came to visit from California and commented on how much better our produce was than what she gets out there. Farmer's Market Harris Teeter Publix K&S World Market even WalMart and Costco And Abs, the produce at Whole Foods and Wild Oats is flavorless and overpriced. Pretty to look at perhaps, but it does not belong in your mouth.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For those of you who like asparagus, I live only 10 minutes south of the county that grows more pounds of asparagus than any other in the US. Too bad I think it's nasty. asparagus industry Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Abba: (Yes, I did that to your name because I think calling you Abba is funny. And I'm humming Dancing Queen as I type.) Give Publix a try. We dig that store. Beats the heck out of Krogering. The place is always clean and bright and for some reason the employees seem a lot happier, and their selection (including the produce) is a lot better. Even their generic pasta is cooler looking. I only know this because my better half brought home a box labeled "pasta" the other day, and generic stuff cracks me up. But I draw the line at the generic cans with "beer" on the side. That's just wrong. Also, they're building a new one right down Hwy 100 from us. Why I felt the need to share that, I have no idea. The other great advantage to Publix is that sooner or later, some teenagers will always break the neon letter "L", so that you'll be shopping at Pubix. And c'mon, that's always funny. As funny as calling you Abba. At least.
                        Too bad I think it's nasty.
                        Try sauteeing (can you put an -ing on that word?) in a frying pan with some butter, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar. It may fry out a lot of the nutrients, but it's damn good. Trust me - I never thought I'd be eating asparagus, but cooking it that way (or something similar) makes it yummy. I'm still drawing the line at broccoli though. Or is it brocolli? Anything that smells like stale farts and looks like tiny shrunken trees is obviously not edible.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have had asparagus cooked every possible way under the sun and it still is gross. Now, broccoli...I used to LOVE it, but I ate it way too much for a couple of years and got burned-out on it. Now my green veggie of choice is green beans. k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I'm not a huge fan of asparagus, but I've found that if steamed to the point where it bends then breaks, and then tossed with some salt and a nice pesto....mmmmmm.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I confess I agree about the farmers market. But they are not open evenings or Sundays. Nor is Produce Place for that matter - and anyway they only have stuff if you get there at the crack of dawn when I am either working or fast asleep. I am not expecting fresh berries in Feb, but potatoes without roots growing from the eyes would be nice. ... Farmer's Market - got me there. Except for the aforementioned hours. Harris Teeter - Just went there tonight. I was able to find a few apples (in a not so favored variety) which weren't totally smushed and bananas that werent totally brown after picking through a bunch. No pears which I would exect in winter. Publix - Havent been there. It is "far" from me. (translation: more than 2-3 miles Tongue) They seemed OK in Fl. K&S World Market - Huh? Where is this? Got me again. (Nolensville?) WalMart and Costco - Havent tried. I dont shop at walmart on principal and I just dont believe Costco is the place to go.
                              Ummm. Farmer's Market is open dusk til dawn 7 days a week. That includes Sundays. Yes. Even in Nashville. And they tend to have som many baskets of in-season produce that it is even good at dusk. Harris Teeter had bad produce yesterday. Weird. First time I have ever seen that. Really weird. Normally they have at least 10 different apples and they are good. And pears are best in the Winter. While most fruits are best when picked ripe, pears are an exception. Pears almost never ripen on the tree and so they usually are best in the winter after ripening 2-4 months slowly. HT had bad pears last night too, but usually has 4-5 different pears. They also have great fish. Publix is far for you if you live near your day job. K&S is on Nolensville Road and there is another on Charlotte near White Bridge. Check it. WalMart caters to an immigrant population in Nashville. That means, believe it or not, that they have some fruits and veggies that nobody else carries (except maybe K&S) and the food is always ripe. Most grocery stores sell food for you to keep in your kitchen all week, as Americans do. K&S and WalMart tend to sell ripe fruit to immigrant populations that cook the same day they buy the food. So it is riper and better and cheaper (since regular grocery stores won't carry produce that ripe). Yes, Jeff, My bad. Produce Place is good. Unlike Wild Oats and Whole Foods, their organics are good. But they can get expensive. While I am at it, Plumgood foods is also a pretty good choice. They are online and they deliver. Their prices are a bit high and the selection is smallish, but if you spend more than $100, they have free delivery. Lots of deals all the time though. I finally tried some of their produce and it is good. They have a fantastic olive oil soap that I use too. Wild Oats and Whole Foods fish is like their produce. Overpriced and underflavored. Pretty to look at, but tastes like a plastic food display.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most grocery stores sell food for you to keep in your kitchen all week, as Americans do. K&S and WalMart tend to sell ripe fruit to immigrant populations that cook the same day they buy the food. So it is riper and better and cheaper (since regular grocery stores won't carry produce that ripe).
                                NPR recently had a story about ripe foods being cheaper - click