What's realistic? Sub 4:30 mile. (Read 3485 times)

Just Be

wow, that is fast. I would be happy with getting under 5:30 which is my goal this year.
    Best of luck to you with achieving your goal! Smile Keep us updated!

Just Be

shit me, god I am in awe. I have been running for a year now and I have cut my 10k from 50 minutes to 42. I am desperate to go sub 40, so I am doing base building at the moment. Lots of miles under MAF. Do you guys advocate this approach, and do you think I will get under 40 soon? Any advice welcome.
      How long it takes you to get under 40 depends on a lot of things. Low heart rate training is the right way to go for most of your runs, say 60 to 80% max heart rate, but maybe try mixing slight bursts of speed (38 minute 10k pace or so) into your longer runs followed by your regular long run training pace throughout your entire run, maybe once per week starting out, working up to twice per week. That might give your body the burst of overcompensation it needs (assuming you give yourself ample recovery time) in order for you to break 40 minutes. I think breaking 40 minutes for me is a matter of willpower at this point. I could probably run the 10k in 38 minutes at my physiological V02 LT limit, but would just take *a lot* of mental determination, and I would increase the chances of hurting myself by tons without a proper base, so I'll just wait it out. Smile Good luck to you! Smile

Just Be

Nice. Sounds like you know what's in front of you and you certainly have the talent to draw upon. I'd caution you in saying "probably could have by now" when referencing breaking the 4 minute barrier as that is very hallowed ground. Plus that 1-2 seconds can be difficult even under the best of circumstances. It's odd that you put an exclamation point by your 5:22 mile in your log and even said "currently my best time is 5:22.45 set a couple weeks ago" but I understand long layoffs and the need to begin anew. Where did you run in college?
        I am starting anew. Smile I figure, what's the point in judging myself by my old times. It took me 3 years of discouragement to figure out that I can't expect that of myself right away anymore and that if I am going to recover my times, I have to expect it to take a long while. When I first quit, I stopped for about 4 months and discovered that I had lost over 30 seconds from my mile time, that fast. It would take me a year or more to get it back so I just quit for even longer - it was easier to focus on work and the relationship anyway (prior to that I was training about 2 to 6 hours per day depending on the routine that day) and so the cycle continued... next mile attempt several months later I'd lost another 30+ seconds, etc, etc. Let me tell you from experience: if anyone who reads this ever gets to a physical potential that makes you happy and took a long time to achieve, *do not* take a break from it - the level of conditioning above standard base goes away really fast! Surprised In college I ran around the parts! Big grin Seriously, though: nothing against you or anyone on these forums, but I'd rather not discuss my educational background. Personal prefrerence, thanks for understanding. Smile
          Jim, I guess if you had cleared a 40 minute 10k by the 4th month you trained, we're progressing at a similar rate. For what it's worth, when I first started about 4 months ago I couldn't run a 10k in under 60 minutes. Thanks again for the advice. Smile
          I never had a 4:01 mile on my resume either. I was a guy in my 30's trying to get in shape who had run a handful of cross country races in high school. As I said, I had above average talent, but nothing out of the ordinary. Guy's who have run 4:01 are enormously talented. They would probably be sub-40 at 10k within a couple weeks and down to at least 37's within a couple months. Do I sound like I'm doubting that you've run 4:01? Well, I am. There are a few things that make me suspicious. Here is an examaple: At the start of the thread you said "I'm coming back to running after a 4ish year break. When I first started I was pretty chubby and unfit, though I could still run a mile in under 9 minutes, but just barelyā€¯. In your blog you say that you were "6.6% body fat" on December 14. ??? Also, I remember you saying just a couple days ago that your goal was sub-4 within a year. Today you changed it to 4:30. You sound very enthusiastic and are doing well for someone has been back at it only a short time. I agree with Spaniel when he said "Don't put a time limit on yourself....do smart training that you can handle, and see where it takes you"
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Just Be

Jim, I don't fault you for being suspicious. I would be as well. But you have to understand, I don't necessarily have a preset goal. I'd be satisfied with a 4:45 mile by the end of 2008. That is precisely why I started the thread, to ask for others' opinions. I never said that my goal was a sub 4 within 1 year. I am well aware that that is not possible, even for me. I believe you are thinking about the following post in the 10k goals thread: (http://www.runningahead.com/groups/10K/Forum/ee694a45a07740b493aa7a2d70edb6fd) I'd like to run a sub 35 before July of 2008, and be under 30 minutes by the end of 2009. Right now my PR is 42:16, but that was set on December 8th of this year. I could probably run a sub 40 at this point, but I will not attempt another PR until about the 10th of Jan, '08 Your reply to my post seemed to indicate that you thought I did say sub 4 within 1 year, but I was talking about a sub 35 10k by July '08. I didn't even want to bring up my old personal records but I was asked directly, and have nothing to hide in that sense, so I did. But they're in the past now, I'm 4 years older and a lot less fit. As to the bodyfat being 6.6% - yes - that was my last reading. You can see how my body comp changed dramatically at my vitals page (http://designfate.com/vitals.php). It probably looks pretty crazy, but with the right diet, all the running, and intense weight training, my bodyfat dropped like a rock. My goal was 8% by December 15th, iirc without looking at the logs, and I am very prould to say that I crushed it. I'm scheduled to have my bodyfat taken again tomorrow and hopefully it's a bit lower by now, but I've been eating a bit less healthy given the holidays, so I won't be surprised it it has gone up a bit.
            pandajenn19

If I've done the math right, your stats indicate you gained 14 pounds of muscle mass in 12 weeks. Please, someone tell me I got my math wrong. Smile Was this body fat testing from a reputable source? I cannot even express how difficult it is to gain mass like that, while cutting fat at the same time. Please someone tell me my math is wrong.

Just Be

If I've done the math right, your stats indicate you gained 14 pounds of muscle mass in 12 weeks. Please, someone tell me I got my math wrong. Smile Was this body fat testing from a reputable source? I cannot even express how difficult it is to gain mass like that, while cutting fat at the same time. Please someone tell me my math is wrong.
                I'm not sure how reputable the source is, but someone close to me with a skin fold caliper has been taking the bodyfat measurements via a 3 point test at the shoulder, stomach, and mid thigh. I just weighed myself and I'm down to 155 lbs. I'm not sure what math is involved in calculating how much muscle I've gained, so I can't tell you if you've done the math right. The 19, 16, 11 and 9% values were all rounded up (18.5%, 10.9% and 8.8% is what I can remember without finding the paperwork where it's jotted down), but when the bodyfat went below 9% I decided to just list the values as given. EDIT: For what it's worth, he's AIII/ISMA (<--- i think is the certificating authority), ace and acsm certified and operates as a personal trainer full time. i can get you the model of the skinfold caliper thing he uses if you want. i="" think="" is="" the="" certificating="" authority),="" ace="" and="" acsm="" certified="" and="" operates="" as="" a="" personal="" trainer="" full="" time.="" i="" can="" get="" you="" the="" model="" of="" the="" skinfold="" caliper="" thing="" he="" uses="" if="" you=""></--- i think is the certificating authority), ace and acsm certified and operates as a personal trainer full time. i can get you the model of the skinfold caliper thing he uses if you want.>

Blaine, Have you ever tried it? It's the equivalent of running 10k in mid or low 32's. The farther you go down on the scale, the tougher it becomes to knock off more time.
                  Yep. I was a 5 minute miler as a senior in high school. By the time I got done with my first cross country season in college just a few months later, I was doing 5x1 mile repeats at 4:45 pace. Indoor track my freshman year was around 4:18 or so. Now, he is a bit older, but he is still in his prime speed days. If he is already running 5:22, then he can get down to 4:30. Especially if he ran 4:01 not too many years ago, which only reinforces my opinion. It'll be a lot of smart training and hard work, but it is certainly feasible. I can't say if he will or not, but he's capable. A year is a long time, and the body is capable of some pretty amazing things.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

In college I ran around the parts! Big grin Seriously, though: nothing against you or anyone on these forums, but I'd rather not discuss my educational background. Personal prefrerence, thanks for understanding. Smile
                    No worries at all. I was just wondering because with a time like that you would have certainly qualified for Nationals at the D1 level or would have certainly won the D2 or D3 championship. Last year there were only 15 athletes that ran 4:01 or faster indoors in D1 (you didn't specify but I would guess it came indoors since the 1500m is the more common event in outdoor track for a guy with your time). I'm also aware that your 4:01 didn't take place last year but I'd be fairly confident that you did qualify as the provisional qualification has been consistently around 4:04. I would be curious how you felt the race went and you can keep it in general terms if you'd prefer.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm a little late to this, but it's an interesting discussion. My first answer when I read your post several days ago was that 4:30 was unrealistic, but that 5:00 was possible. Having seen the fact that you've run 4:01 obviously changes all of that. I have a book from 1987 called The Self-Coached Runner II: Cross Country and the Shorter Distances by Alan Lawrence and Mark Scheid. It's currently out of print, but is available used on Amazon and eBay. The book has detailed day-by-day training programs for distances ranging from 800m to 8k. The section on the mile has training schedules for the mile ranging from 4:00 up to 6:30. In the case of the 4:30 mile program, the header beginning of the section says:
                      You are ready to train for a 4:30 mile if you can run 220 yards in 27 seconds and 440 yards in 58.5 seconds.
                      In other words, you need to have a certain amount of leg speed to even think about chasing a 4:30, as I'm sure you well know. You may want to to keep those numbers in making a decision to really begin serious training. I'd recommend the book. I think the training is a little out-of-date, given what's been learned about VO2-max and lactate threshold over the last 20 years, but I also believe that if you followed their schedule to a tee (without getting injured), you'd reach you goal. Back in 1990, I ran a 4:37 training alone using some of their workouts, and I wish I would tried really sticking to their schedule -- I may have gotten that elusive 4:2x.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The section on the mile has training schedules for the mile ranging from 4:00 up to 6:30.
                        Hey, Jeff? Any chance you could let me know the times they say for training for sub 6:00? My current mile is 6:30 - sub 6:00 is a goal of mine for this year.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey, Jeff? Any chance you could let me know the times they say for training for sub 6:00? My current mile is 6:30 - sub 6:00 is a goal of mine for this year.
                          Yeah Bonks, they say 220 in 37 seconds and 440 in 78 seconds. BTW, I plugged 78 seconds for 400m into McMillan and it predicted an equivalent mile of 6:20, and 200m time of 37.3, so their appears to be some legitimacy to the above criteria.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yeah Bonks, they say 220 in 37 seconds and 440 in 78 seconds. BTW, I plugged 78 seconds for 400m into McMillan and it predicted an equivalent mile of 6:20, and 200m time of 37.3, so their appears to be some legitimacy to the above criteria.
                            Thanks, Jeff!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just had a look at your log Bonkin, and I was wondering what I would be able to do a mile in now. Not done a time trial in ages. I can currently do a mile in 7:30ish after a warm up whilst under MAF of 157, so anyone any thoughts?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Scout7

I have just had a look at your log Bonkin, and I was wondering what I would be able to do a mile in now. Not done a time trial in ages. I can currently do a mile in 7:30ish after a warm up whilst under MAF of 157, so anyone any thoughts?
                                Sub 7. How much higher intensity training have you done? That would be a limiting factor.