What's realistic? Sub 4:30 mile. (Read 3485 times)

I have just had a look at your log Bonkin, and I was wondering what I would be able to do a mile in now. Not done a time trial in ages. I can currently do a mile in 7:30ish after a warm up whilst under MAF of 157, so anyone any thoughts?
    6:15, based on your most recent 5 mile times. If you have improved since then...faster. You might have to take a couple cracks at it since you don't do much, if any, fast running in traning that I can see, but with a little practice I'm sure you can. Considering that you are big guy, there is a good chance that your mile time woud be relatively faster than your 5 mile. You might even come close to 6 minutes.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Slow-smooth-fast

well my previous mile time is 5:52, and I now I am fitter than that now, so sub 7 is just ludicrous, I know for a fact I can do sub 7 without much effort. My 10K PR is 6:50 miling

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Scout7

5:52 is sub 7. I never said how FAR below 7.

Prophet!

5:52 is sub 7. I never said how FAR below 7.
          nice!
            well my previous mile time is 5:52, and I now I am fitter than that now, so sub 7 is just ludicrous, I know for a fact I can do sub 7 without much effort. My 10K PR is 6:50 miling
            I like the fire and I think the word ludicrous isn't used enough today. Bravo to you. Continuing with the theme of this thread I'll predict you can run a 4:01 mile.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

mikeymike

Continuing with the theme of this thread I'll predict you can run a 4:01 mile.
              Eddy ran a 4:01 mile in college. When he says his previous best is 5:52 he means in the last few weeks.

Runners run

va

Eddy ran a 4:01 mile in college. When he says his previous best is 5:52 he means in the last few weeks.
                I thought runner92 is the one who ran the 4:01. Confused

Slow-smooth-fast

Hey lets not argue, I have never run a 4:01 mile, I wish. I ran a 5:52 mile about 6 months ago. I ran at 3:43 pace the other day for 300m and it killed me - down a very steep downhill. The speed i hard to believe on a flat.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You guys need to adjust your sarcasm meter. While I'm certainly not speaking for mikeymike, I'm sure he knows that and was just continuing the theme.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Just Be

I have a book from 1987 called The Self-Coached Runner II: Cross Country and the Shorter Distances by Alan Lawrence and Mark Scheid. It's currently out of print, but is available used on Amazon and eBay. The book has detailed day-by-day training programs for distances ranging from 800m to 8k. The section on the mile has training schedules for the mile ranging from 4:00 up to 6:30. In the case of the 4:30 mile program, the header beginning of the section says: In other words, you need to have a certain amount of leg speed to even think about chasing a 4:30, as I'm sure you well know. You may want to to keep those numbers in making a decision to really begin serious training.
                      Thanks for that info! I'll look up - and probably buy - the book. Smile Seems like a great read!
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Last night at an indoor track meet, DS 15 (high school sophomore) ran the mile in 4:52. He doesn't like that short a distance, but he's still doing very well at it. He's only 5'-5" tall, 100 pounds, so it will be interesting to see how his time improves as he grows. If heart and dedication mean anything, he will go far. He must have some REALLY recessive genes.

Just Be

Last night at an indoor track meet, DS 15 (high school sophomore) ran the mile in 4:52. He doesn't like that short a distance, but he's still doing very well at it. He's only 5'-5" tall, 100 pounds, so it will be interesting to see how his time improves as he grows. If heart and dedication mean anything, he will go far. He must have some REALLY recessive genes.
                          Nice! I started my final growth spurt when I was 15. Went from about 5' 4" to 5' 11" by the time I was 16 or 17. It really helped lower my times a lot. Smile I don't remember by how much, I just remember thinking "Being taller is great!" Big grin Dedication means a ton at the competitive level. Often, he will be up against several others with the same physical ability as him, but if he has worked harder training for the event than he'll probably come out on top. Is he lifting weights? Weight lifting makes a huge difference for the better.
                          Scout7

Is he lifting weights? Weight lifting makes a huge difference for the better.
                            This can (and is) debated heavily.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Nice! I started my final growth spurt when I was 15. Went from about 5' 4" to 5' 11" by the time I was 16 or 17. It really helped lower my times a lot. Smile I don't remember by how much, I just remember thinking "Being taller is great!" Big grin Dedication means a ton at the competitive level. Often, he will be up against several others with the same physical ability as him, but if he has worked harder training for the event than he'll probably come out on top. Is he lifting weights? Weight lifting makes a huge difference for the better.
                              It's good to hear you got taller! It will be interesting to see what happens with my son. My side of the family is tall, and my husband's is short. DH and I are the same height - 5'-8 1/2". I will encourage him to keep training hard. I think they do a LITTLE weight lifting at school - I trust his coach to do the right thing. He has had a long, successful coaching career and several of his kids have gone on to have college careers (Ben True is doing very well at Dartmouth).

Just Be

This can (and is) debated heavily.
                                True. In my opinion, however, at the elite level for mid-distance events, especially the mile, a solid strength base (not lifting to gain weight but lifting for strength) often makes the difference between a win and a lose.