2016 Chicago Marathon (Read 263 times)

Who's running?! I ran the 2007 Chicago Marathon right after graduating high school and training all summer long. I ran xc and track for 4 years in high school and so I thought I would be in the best shape of my life. However, first semester of college and adjustment period really derailed everything and I ended up running a 4:16 marathon. Now many years later, I am finally back at it and ready to PR by over an hour and 11 minutes and qualify for Boston! Albeit, I was a little bummed to find out Boston changed when you can register so when I do qualify, I wouldn't be able to run until 2018 

I just ran the Chicagoland spring half marathon in Schaumburg, IL on May 15 in 1:28 which was very encouraging. I've also signed up for this year's marathon as a St. Jude Hero which makes it even more encouraging to get me through some of those long runs! Now a little bit old a little bit wiser, I'm ready to get my revenge on the Chicago Marathon!!

What's your story?

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Joann Y

I don't know if I have much of a story but I am in this year through the lottery. I ran it as my first marathon in 2013 in 4:51. I think it was a good goal but I was woefully undertrained and had averaged 25 miles a week (ha!) for that training cycle. Kind of dumb but hey, a lesson. I ran my second marathon (Last Chance BQ.2 in Geneva, IL) in 2015 in 3:56 on a little more training, 35-40 miles a week. This year my goal marathon is actually not Chicago but the Last Chance BQ.2 again. It's in September and I'm looking to BQ so I can run Boston in 2017. I need 3:45 (or close to 3:40-3:42 if I want to actually get into Boston). I'm following the Pfitz 18/55 plan and so far so good. I'm in week 2. It's weird to only run 5 days a week to train for a marathon but my biggest goal is to FOLLOW THE PLAN and not get sidetracked. If all goes as planned, I will BQ in September and then run Chicago for fun! Hey, I'm a dreamer! Or maybe I'll run them both hard. Or maybe September will end up too hot and I will only run Chicago hard. Who knows. I'm focusing on September for now.

Enjoy it timbo.

MTA: Hey, I just looked at your profile. I work in Hinsdale!

All business

I don't have much of a story either, but I did run Chicago in '07. That was hot one, when folks were dropping like flies, so finishing is a fine accomplishment. I'm a wuss when it comes to the heat, but was pretty happy to make my goal that year. I've no race plans this year. I'd love to run Chicago again, that's a great race.

You're still young, I'll sure you'll rock it this year.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

I'll be there.  It'll be my first Chicago so I'm looking forward to a familiar flat course and being able to sleep in my own bed the night before.   I ran Boston this year and like most others blew up with a 3:16 (after qualifying at 2:59) so I'm looking for some redemption at Chicago.  My racing team will have a pile of people there so I'm also looking forward to having some other runners that can lock onto a pace.   Hopefully we get a cooperative weather day since Chicago can go either way that time of year.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This will be my second year as a qualified runner.  Last year didn't go so well.  Way too hot.  Not scorching, but still 25degreess hotter than what I'd prefer.  Training didn't go so well either.  Then I got sent to the wrong part of the corals, so I was stuck behind the selfie crowd.

Other than all that, it was a nice race.  Too flat to be my favorite, but such a nice town to run in.

I'm back this year.  Modest goal -- I'd like to re-qualify.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

This will be my second year as a qualified runner.  Last year didn't go so well.  Way too hot.  Not scorching, but still 25degreess hotter than what I'd prefer.  Training didn't go so well either.  Then I got sent to the wrong part of the corals, so I was stuck behind the selfie crowd.

Other than all that, it was a nice race.  Too flat to be my favorite, but such a nice town to run in.

I'm back this year.  Modest goal -- I'd like to re-qualify.

Here's a pro tip. Don't eat gobs of sushi and sashimi the night before. Makes running the next day a lot easier.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Here's a pro tip. Don't eat gobs of sushi and sashimi the night before. Makes running the next day a lot easier.

Yeah, I don't know about that.  Maybe not "gobs" but I definitely carbo-loaded on Sushi the night before the NYCM, and it was by far my best race [not fastest, just best].

Besides, if that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Joann Y

Yeah, I don't know about that.  Maybe not "gobs" but I definitely carbo-loaded on Sushi the night before the NYCM, and it was by far my best race [not fastest, just best].

Besides, if that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Okay, maybe hold the sashimi. I tried that the night before a long run recently and I can tell you it didn't feel good at all. Or maybe it was the old-fashioneds, beer and other cocktails?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm pretty sure it was the decorations in the bathroom that threw off your focus for the run.

But yeah, we did stuff ourselves.  Only one way to find out if it was the real cause -- need to do it again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

They could package it as race nutrition:  Gushi and Gushimi.

Joann Y

I think I'm going to go vomit now. BRB.

Joann Y

I still think this is brilliantly disgusting LL.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I still think this is brilliantly disgusting LL.

Ah, you're back.  Ready to go into business with me?

Joann Y

Ah, you're back.  Ready to go into business with me?

I was sick for two days thinking about it. The answer is yes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I was sick for two days thinking about it. The answer is yes.

Perfect!