And so! What are you hoping to achieve in 2018? (Read 220 times)

kkittenkat

English Villian

Detail your dreams of moving forward faster and more often here.

running metalhead

I have a very clear goal set for 2018 aiming at completing it in the first half. After three years of focusing on trails and ultras and after a horrible 2017 I decided that I have had enough of walking ultra-distances and that I want to feel fast again (well relatively fast, of course, I'm Dutch not Kenyan). I have thus decided to set up a good old fashioned Pfizinger plan and go for the following:

One Marathon close or below 3:15  (I was close to finishing in 3:12 in Eindhoven 2016, but I suffered a self-induced intestinal disfunction ending at 3:27). I will run Rotterdam and Amersfoort and if I can't beat the 3:15 on any I can still try again in Amsterdam or/and Eindhoven.

One Half Marathon beating my 1:30:08 PR I did this in 2013 or 2014 with a broken toe, I still have the same shoes the Adidas Climacool and I have a very painful injury in the flexor hallucis longus that makes me see stars and stripes every time I put on my boots, I assume that this is enough, else I can always take a hammer. I have several trials, starting at the classical Halve van Egmond where I will just try having some fun and do 1:44-ish, I have some 3 more and there are plenty of 13 milers.

So, these are my goals. Now that they are written down I have no choice but to do it Wink

For the second half of 2018 I am not sure, if everything goes well I may want to try a road ultra, 60-100km or just spend the rest of the year doing short but fast trails until I am fast enough not to walk in a 50km (hell, it's only fr*ggin' 8km more than a Marathon, for frucks sake)

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

for frucks sake? Love it!

My optimistic goal is to PR in the half and full this Spring. I’ve registered for the inaugural London half Mary on 4th March (Mo is running it) https://www.thebighalf.co.uk  and the London Mary on 22nd April. I will be dreaming every night of moving forward and faster!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

No running related goals for me I don't think, maybe a .5 marathon. What I'm really hoping for, and has me on pins and needles, is if you'd enlighten all of us to the strangest or funniest thing you've come across whilst running.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

1000 miles.

2017 was my worst  running year in a long time.

I need to drop 20 pounds also

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

bhearn

24-hour team qualifier (probably will take > 153 miles)

sub-27:00 and/or top 10 at Spartathlon

48-hour debut, at least hit 50+ AR (231.44 miles).

And people are trying to talk me into Barkley. Hmmmmm.

Lots of other stuff I would like to do. Spartathlon constrains a lot.

Still kicking

Getting back into triathlons, and just don't want to drown.

I also battled plantar fasciitis most of 2017. It's behind me now, and I want to keep it there.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

I would love for 2018 to be the year I finally break 3:30 in the marathon. Hoping for another year of being healthy all year. I was healthy for all of 2017 after a couple injury-ridden years, so I'm hoping I can finally get back to setting PRs again (at distances I've raced before I mean ).

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

I'd kind of like to not die.

Everything beyond that is a bonus.

Running-wise, I'd like to get in at least 4-5 epic national park runs of ultra length. And a 4:40 mile. I might even do a race or two, on the track.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marky_Mark_17

Have fun

Don't get injured

Beat my half marathon PR

Try some new races

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

oldfartrunner

Yeah, like Surly said, staying above the dirt another year would be nice.  But I got to watch out for spontaneous combustion.  This esp. when eating bean burritos around the gas fireplace.  My easy chair has so much methane embedded in the foam, it just might happen?

Finally get rid of this damn nagging hamstring injury!

Sub 19 5K, sub 40 10k; although I might be over the hill and a dollar short.  

kcam

Some fast old guys here ... Surly Bill looking for a 4:40 mile , OFR a sub 19 .... I'm only hoping to get in another year of 2600+ miles.  I'm hoping my times will come down with consistent, long term mileage.  That word "another" assumes I get to 2600 this year.  Got some more running to do.

kcam, a 4:40 mile would be easier for me than running 2600 miles in a year! Gotta play to our strengths.

Like I've said before, OFR is my spirit animal.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

kkittenkat

English Villian

i'm enjoying these replies Smile

And I shall now answer my own question!

my running has been completely lackluster over the last few years, so I've set myself the task of actually training with a view to getting back to a sub 90 half in the spring.

if I can't get sub 95 at least, I'm pulling out of the race.

Yup, that's my mentality heaved up on a plate for you. 

good luck with all your goals, especially in keeping injury free.

papopp

my goals are pretty simple----run one day,bike the next day---run one day,bike the next...........

that all takes place before sun-up----------my real purpose in life is to add to my granddaughters college fund and to increase the amounts that go into our employees profit sharing accounts-----everything else is just details!