Did a Fleet Feet feed my brother a line of BS? (Read 1766 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He was in looking at Garmins and they claimed they no longer can order/carry the FR305 and tried to talk him into one of those more "watch-like" units (like the 405).  I talked him out of it, as he wants to use it on the bike, too...so the smaller round screen wouldn't be practical--and he didn't want to drop the $$$ for the 310XT.

So did they lose a sale entirely?  He's ordering a 305 and bike cadence/speed sensor on Amazon.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

I just looked at the Garmin website and they still show the 305 available with no last chance or discontinued qualifiers.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just looked at the Garmin website and they still show the 305 available with no last chance or discontinued qualifiers.

Exactly.  I told him that while on the phone with him while he was at the store.  I pointed out that even Wal-Mart carries it.  He walked out with plans to order online.

Honesty is the best policy.  I'm not sure how retailers think that being deceptive works nowadays.

~ Sarah Kay

"run" "2" "eat"

just because they're available doesn't mean FF carries them. they can't sell what's not in their system.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

just because they're available doesn't mean FF carries them. they can't sell what's not in their system.

+1.  The Fleet Feet I go to doesn't carry every Garmin available.  My wife was looking a few months ago, did research online, and one of the garmins whe wanted to physically see wasn't sold at our Fleet Feet.

Why is it sideways?

I am so disappointed in you, Fleet Feet. I trusted you to bring me Garmins. But you have betrayed me. And so now I will leave you for the Amazon. Farewell my love. It was good while it lasted. I'd give you my heart but you wanted my soul. 

mikeymike

Why would they bullshit him?  What would FF's motivation be to not sell your brother something that they were capable of selling him?

Not everything is a conspiracy.  Sometimes the small, specialty retail store you walk in to just doesn't happen to carry the same broad inventory that Amazon dot com does.

Runners run

Not Your Average Joe

The FF in Nashville steered me away from the 405 due to the small screen and touch bezel that can change settings when sweated on.  They didn't carry the 305.  I got my 305 from Amazon.

Hi!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In case anybody is keeping count, yeah, another Nashvillian Smile

Prince of Fatness

In case anybody is keeping count, yeah, another Nashvillian Smile

I'm not, but thanks for the heads up!

Not at it at all. 

My friend gave me the 405 for Christmas.  FWIW - I prefer the 305.  I've found the 405 to be a PITA.  I hate the whole "bezel" thing, although you can lock it to keep from screwing things up when you're using it.  However, the sound on my 305 is gone, so the 405 it is.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The way the woman worded it to my brother (I was on the phone with him when he was talking to her, so I heard it myself) was that Garmin would no longer LET them order it, not that they don't carry it or wouldn't order it.  Which I doubt is the case.  My nearest running store (a chain significantly smaller than FF) carries the 305, so why would Garmin refuse to stock FF with it, IF FF in the Chicago area wanted to stock it.  So, yes, I'm assuming they were dishonest with my brother.

Not sure why they would bullshit him...I guess to get him out the door with what they do have in stock.  But rather than be honest and tell him that they don't carry the 305, they tell him that Garmin won't let them carry it and try to steer him towards something less appropriate for his needs and more expensive.  Seems a little shady.  If the little guys deceive their customers, then I'm not sure how they can complain when said customer buys online.

~ Sarah Kay

My friend gave me the 405 for Christmas.  FWIW - I prefer the 305.  I've found the 405 to be a PITA.  I hate the whole "bezel" thing, although you can lock it to keep from screwing things up when you're using it.  However, the sound on my 305 is gone, so the 405 it is.

One of my marathon training partners got the 405 toward the end of our training.  Our longest run, 22 miles, was in a serious down pour.  Anyway, the first mile of the run the rain caused the setting to change on her.  She spent the next 1/2 mile trying to fix it, and when she did, it took another mile to find the satellite again.

sounds to me like they were trying to sell him something else, probably because it would profit them individually like commision or a sales compeptition.

The other things I don't like about the 405:

1. It never turns off, so you pretty much have to keep it plugged in to the charger 'cause it will use battery life, which leads me into #2 . . . .

2. It only has 8 hrs of battery life, as opposed to the 305, which has 10.

3. If the 405 goes completely dead, you lose ALL your workout information, so you better make sure you download your workouts each time.

4. When I download my workouts here at RA, the 405 only provides me with my "average" and "max" HR for the entire workout, as opposed to the 305 providing you the information for each mile, as well as your average pace for each mile.

I'm seriously considering seeing if Garmin can revamp my 305 to make the alarms work so I can use it effectively again.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance