Fisrt 5K -- Couch to 5K or Not? (Read 1159 times)

Hey everyone. I can't thank you guys enough for how helpful you have been to me over the past few weeks.

I've been running off and on for the past year -- sort of just running, slowly adding mileage but having no idea about what I'm doing in terms of when to run faster, harder .. when to increase mileage, etc. With this unsureness I have also suffered a little knee injury, which is healing very well, and I will be back up and running by next week.

This empty training has led me to deciding I want to run a 5K. I never thought I would have such a desire, but I do!

My question is this, do you suggest I start my training with a couch to 5k plan, or would using a more intermediate plan be better for me? I'd also love to see any other beginner plans you guys might have to offer me, or any advice what so ever in general. Thanks a bunch.

"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

I would say you are beyond the C25K based on your recent running.  C25k is usually to get a non runner to 2.5 - 3.0 miles in 8 weeks.

I would recommend a Hal higdon beginner 5k plan or really you are probably between that and his intermediate plan.

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm

take a look and see where you think you are and use templates as a base to develop your own plan to fit your needs/goals.

Good Luck

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

loplop bird superior

Hi,

I'm a beginner with no previous running experience. I also never played sports growing up and lived a very sedentary lifestyle. I found a book by Runner's World editor(?) Amby Burfoot. It is a beginner's book and in the back has two running plans, one for people getting back into running and one for newbies. I think you can find both plans on the Runners World website. It has really helped me make baby steps, pushing me but not to the point I want to stop.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html

this one if for the 8 weeks, probably what you would do since you have experience.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Looking at what you've been doing, I agree with Buckeye that the C25K program is probably not what you need right now.  It looks like what you need most is to find some consistency in your training.  Find that and you'll have no trouble completing a 5K race.

I like that last week in March - you ran Mon, Wed, and Fri, twice on your Clifton route and once on your Garrett Mountain loop.  I think if you try to have a month of weeks like that week, where you're out there running a short distance 3x/wk, you could gradually work up to having your longer run be 3 miles.  That'd do it for you for a first race. 

Don't go all crazy on the training stuff.  Don't try to do intervals or track workouts.  Just run gently and consistently and you'll be fine. 

You can always beat your race time the next time you race... Tongue  The first one is special and should be fun, without the worry about the clock.

Roads were made for journeys...

I would say you are beyond the C25K based on your recent running.  C25k is usually to get a non runner to 2.5 - 3.0 miles in 8 weeks.

I would recommend a Hal higdon beginner 5k plan or really you are probably between that and his intermediate plan.

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm

take a look and see where you think you are and use templates as a base to develop your own plan to fit your needs/goals.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot for this. I have printed out both plans and will look over them tonight.

"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
              Looking at what you've been doing, I agree with Buckeye that the C25K program is probably not what you need right now.  It looks like what you need most is to find some consistency in your training.  Find that and you'll have no trouble completing a 5K race.

I like that last week in March - you ran Mon, Wed, and Fri, twice on your Clifton route and once on your Garrett Mountain loop.  I think if you try to have a month of weeks like that week, where you're out there running a short distance 3x/wk, you could gradually work up to having your longer run be 3 miles.  That'd do it for you for a first race. 

Don't go all crazy on the training stuff.  Don't try to do intervals or track workouts.  Just run gently and consistently and you'll be fine. 

You can always beat your race time the next time you race... Tongue  The first one is special and should be fun, without the worry about the clock.

I think you hit it on the head perfectly. I just need to enjoy this and take it slowly.

You are also right about the track. I am convinced that it was the track that ultimately killed me. I never had any pain until I started on there!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Unlike many of the more experienced runners, I'm not a big fan of the track.  My position is that as long as you're continuing to see improvements with just adding consistent, easy mileage then there's no reason to add speed-work.  When you've maxed out how much easy mileage you can train with (uninjured) and are no longer seeing improvements, THEN it's time to re-evaluate and perhaps start looking into speed-work.

YMMV, of course.  Wink

Roads were made for journeys...