Sunblock? (Read 116 times)

Joann Y

I'm generally a minimalist when it comes to running in that if I have to do anything at all extra besides just running there is a good chance that I might not run but it has come to my attention on a daily basis that it "looks like I've been getting some sun" and while I generally wouldn't give a hoot, I am getting close to my old lady-hood and probably should start thinking about preventing sun damage to my face. Any recommendations for something that will work in the sweat and summer humidity and not burn my eyes? Are you all using sunblock?

ain't trying to be smart ass but, would a hat work to shield your face from the sun. I typically do not use sunblock, prolly should though.

Joann Y

ain't trying to be smart ass but, would a hat work to shield your face from the sun. I typically do not use sunblock, prolly should though.

Got it covered, chief. Doesn't seem to be working so great.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

When I make the effort, my solution is sunblock below the eyeline, visor above.  This prevents eye-sting as long as I remember not to rub my hands across the lower face.  Coppertone Sport 30 is my go-to, but i haven't really shopped around.  Bottle says "won't run into your eyes and sting" but that's a lie.  Then again, it only claims water resistance for 80mins, so for a long-run maybe my expectations are too high.

I haven't noticed any weird tan-lines.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bmill11

MIles of Smiles - 2021

When I make the effort, my solution is sunblock below the eyeline, visor above.  This prevents eye-sting as long as I remember not to rub my hands across the lower face.  Coppertone Sport 30 is my go-to, but i haven't really shopped around.  Bottle says "won't run into your eyes and sting" but that's a lie.  Then again, it only claims water resistance for 80mins, so for a long-run maybe my expectations are too high.

I haven't noticed any weird tan-lines.

My preference is Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen SPF 30, and I agree with not putting higher than eye-line and wearing a hat.  Gotta remember to put it on the arms and legs also.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

For most of my training runs, the sun is below or near the horizon (mostly morning, sometimes evening). For my recent marathon I was concerned, so I slathered on No-Ad 50. I actually didn't miss any spots, for probably the first time in my life. Win!

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face and Body Stick Sunscreen.

Like stadjak says, don't apply it to your forehead if you already have a hat/visor on, so it won't run down into your eyes.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

#artbydmcbride

Neutrogena Ultra Dry Touch 50 spf  below the eyes

Runners run

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

Feeling the growl again

Biologically speaking, the best way to protect looking like a weather beaten prune is to protect your face in your teens and twenties, not waiting until you are what, 31?  Wink

But it's never to late to benefit.  After working with melanoma professionally for awhile, I wish I had started wearing sunscreen regularly a lot earlier than I honestly did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Biologically speaking, the best way to protect looking like a weather beaten prune is to protect your face in your teens and twenties, not waiting until you are what, 31?  Wink

28 Years of point-to-point runs from North to South every morning.

Trucker

Or, you know, 28years as a longhaul trucker.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

I don't know, I figure you can't go to your grave perfect so why put in all the effort? But, it would be nice to not look like a weather beaten prune. What the hell, I'm like a baby, it never occurred to me to only put sunblock below the eyes while wearing a hat (I'm not a visor type of person). Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pick some up this week.

tomatolover

Coppertone has a sport sunscreen- oil free for acne prone people- that I like a lot. It doesn't make my face white/blue and I'll wear it even when I'm not running.  There are also large ass visors you can wear to shield your face as much as possible.... google " Korean visor" to get an idea.  I wear a new one that Nike just came out with and it gives me about 70% facial coverage- amazon : "Nike women's big bill visor) ... its dorky as shit, but, I'm vain and would rather not have skin cancer on my face (or premature aging).

SMART Approach

I would also like to point out that the sun is not poison. I think media has made many scared of the sun while vitamin D levels tend to continue to be low in many Americans. Just sayin.......I don't advocate getting burnt but some color is not harmful and research shows higher Vitamin D levels correlate to lower melanoma. Excessive sun exposure does lead to higher incidence of squamous and basil cell. Also, Google some of the potential harmful ingredients in sunscreens. Some feel these ingredients increase our risks of cancers. Can't win......

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com