Top of foot issue - Tendons or Stress Fracture? (Read 2194 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I've been running with a foot issue on the inside part by the ankle. I've tried to baby (take time off when needed) it as much as possible. However, this issue goes away after I get in a mile or two. However, on my last long run I hit mile 12 of a 20 mile run and the top of my foot started to hurt. I was able to finish the run but it got me really worried. I believe it is the Tendons but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between it being a tendon and a stress fracture. Anyone have a good test for this? My plan is to run easy runs for the next week (except for a 10K on Saturday) as it sounds like it will go away with light running from the stuff I have seen. Well if it is tendon related. It doesn't bother me all that much during the day. I ran an easy four miles last night and I could tell it was there but it was not nearly as bad as during the long run. I worry about my next long run though.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    protoplasm72

Google posterior tibial tendon and see if that is where your problem is. I had pain on the inside of my foot that felt like a stress fracture but was actually this tendon. Had to go to the doctor and get an MRI to find out though. Either way it doesn't get better by running on it. Go see your doctor.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I had what sounds like a very similar pain - turned out to be ankle tendonitis. My friend the PT noticed that I ran way too far forward on my toes, even on longer slow runs, which was tiring out the smaller muscles in my feet I was relying on for stride. After consciously trying to stay back, the problem went away and never has come back. If its a different cause then maybe that won't work. As for determining the difference, stress fractures won't go away. If its tendonitis you may only notice it sometimes and then other times you won't, and it may come and go. If it persists and/or increases go see a PT. Take that with a grain of salt though, I've never had a stress fracture, going off what my friend who has had a couple is telling me.
          Try lacing your shoes looser, specifically this method: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg28.html
          For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Try lacing your shoes looser, specifically this method: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg28.html
            I haven't had the issue long so I think it might be the tendon. Sometimes you just feel like you really don't know though. I am going to try the shoe lace idea though. Does anyone know of putting it in ice or warm water will do much good?
              2011 Goals:
              If it's inflammation ice will help it. Not sure what warmth will do if anything. (not qualified to offer advice but) I think it is inflammation, and I think it's caused by lacing your shoes too damn tight.
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
              runlouierun

Do you use that method and if so do you tie them diagonally across the top? Do you lace the opposite way for the other shoe? I have foot pain that I'm sure is related to laces, I've currently got elastic laces in which helped on my last pair of shoes but not so much this time. May take them out and give this method a go...
                  I do use it and it completely ended my issues with Extensor Tendonitis. I also tie my shoes relatively loose (loose enough so that I can slip them on and off without untying). You don't have to lace them diagonally, that only becomes an issue if your shoes have an odd number of eyelets. In this case, just skip one of the eyelets (probably should skip one of the middle ones). This is probably a better article: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm There are tons of workarounds for having an odd number of eyelets. Also if the pain is in a specific area, you can skip over those eyelets. This product: http://www.yankz.com/ also worked pretty well but lydiard lacing worked just as good and it's free.
                    I had the exact same thing 2 weeks before the Honolulu Marathon trained through it and ran the Marathon only to have to almost walk the last 4. I have been at the PT ever since. Posterior tibial tendon is what I had/have. A bone scan can make sure 100% if it is a stress fracture. I only started getting better when I finally backed of the miles and the pace. I can still feel a slight hint 2 months after but it is much better. Limit the speed workouts and hills and get some Phono it will help. Tendons are hard to heal and need time, I found out the hard way and still not 100% percent.
                    2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

What is Phono? My injury is not too bad and I was able to run 4 and 6 the last couple of days without too much of an issue. I know it is still there though. My plan is to keep the pace down for a few more days and stay away from hills as much as possible. I run with a running group tonight though and don't get to pick out the course. I relaced my shoes to try this method tonight. I don't see how it can hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes.
                        2011 Goals:
                        Phono is ultrasound, it is used to help draw blood into the area to help with the tendon. I to was kept running becuase the pain was not that bad I ran anywhere between 4-22 miles on my bad ankle. Trust me if you are not carefull it will get worse. Even with PT and ultrasound 3 times a week I still feel mine. If you have to take a week off now its better then months down the road. Good Luck and be carefull with it.
                        2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00