3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

This is Baltimore.  You get handed under armor when you exit the highway into town.

Getting handed Under Armor is better than getting underhanded armor.  I guess.

As CK alluded to, the SU got an elk.  Tomorrow is cutting day hell, but the freezer will be full once more.

Still not running, still barely walking.  Thinking about calling the ortho office again.

Congratulations to all the racers who done good recently.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

my child is doomed to know the principal on a first name basis. I'm doomed to walk into the principal's office with a "my kid is innocent until proven guilty" approach because I've been in a few principal offices. Fully engaging #dadmode when I'm "defending my client" and the (legal jargon about evidence that won't hold up outside the principal's office) "proof my child didn't do such things" and "hence forth rejecting the null so my case rests" (looking like a proud moron who saw it once on a TV show or a movie) because you can't prove it.

Hahahahaha

Smax, whereforartthou Smax?

CDAF - nice mileage.

CK - yay for the good interview.

Ilana - MMMM....Elk.  I buy ground elk at the local grocery store - somehow I'm guessing not the same quality as what you're getting.

Ran 4.5 very easy (9:30 ish) in the armpit of Northern Virginia in the dark, plus some quick weights/core work, then went in to get prolotherapy on my SI joint.  I have loose ligaments in my SI joints and ankles, and when they get too slack, injuries start happening.  The prolotherapy tightens stuff back up.  For the last 2 months, I've been getting referred pain down my left side and needing to pop my left SI joint back into place at least daily, so I was due.   So now my back is sore, but already feels more stable.

As for why I was in the armpit of NoVa (aka Merrifield)?  Because doctor's appt was at 6:30 am, and so it made the most sense to drive out there early, and then get my run in right before the appt.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

For the record, I'll note that darkwave's trip into the "armpit of Northern Virginia" brought her closer to where I live!

CDR K ~ Unofficial congrats.

pepperjack

pie man

Checked out the filming, nothing too exciting.  I think they're models and not actual runners.  I.e. I didn't see Rachel Schneider.  Interesting spot, right by the panadería y pastelería.  Barry levinson does like my neighborhood, though, I see the next block over in Diner and Avalon, at least.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I am still here, mostly reading.

Carry on.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Checked out the filming, nothing too exciting.  I think they're models and not actual runners.  I.e. I didn't see Rachel Schneider.  

That’s because Rachel needs to be here iin Flagstaff on Tuesday nights to help coach us hobby joggers on the NAU track.  Sorry!

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

pepperjack

pie man

Actually she was here, just not with the folks i saw at first.  Her Instagram has a picture from right nearby (like 1/4 of a mile).  Aisha Praught Leer was there too, cause she was in the Instagram shot.  Probably better this way.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Yep.......we were light on coaches tonight.  These Elites have messed up priorities!!

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

"I have done a tempo or a speed workout every day for the past 2 months"

came across this statement from someone in my running club... I am too tired to argue.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

came across this statement from someone in my running club... I am too tired to argue.

You might as well give it a shot. There's no way someone who has done that would have the energy to argue either!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Good thing there's no scientific and/or anecdotal evidence of stress + rest = adaptation formula actually working.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dad - regarding the armpit - I'm pretty sure you don't live in an office park.  I was doing loops of the sidewalks of US 50, some-street-I-don't-know, US 29, and Gallows Road.  The Target was the most scenic part of that loop.

Sam - anyone who trains like that either has read enough to know that everything opposed training that way (and has ignored that info) or hasn't bothered to research training at all.  Either way, my sense is that this person is not open to advice.

Walking and yoga today.  In the past, I've been allowed to run the day after prolotherapy, but the doctor said no this time - something about doing enough injections that the tissue would be soft for a little bit.  I'm not allowed to hit the pool for 48 hours post-injections, so that reduced my options to walking and yoga.  So I walked to yoga.

Anyone else find that 40 minutes of walking is far more draining than 40 minutes of running?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Dwave - I totally find walking 40 min is more draining than running 40 min.

Ace - sounds like a really frustrating day re: losing running gear and getting monsooned on. 

E11 - my hands get pretty hot in gloves after a while, but it's better than losing feeling in them. I have circulation issues, so you'd think I'd know better, but I still screw this up. But still, if it's sunny outside it can be anything over 35 and I generally am ok without gloves. I did get some super heavy duty mittens after a scary experience this winter where I had to run my hands under water for quite a bit to have feeling in them again.

CK - hope the job stuff goes well! And hobby jogging is totally my thing these days!

Ilana - sounds super frustrating. Maybe the ortho can help.

Brew - my kids is already totally mischievous and has already laughed at me getting angry. Parenting is definitely karma in a lot of ways!

Rlk - yeah, air quality is a problem a lot in SLC and it's pretty terrible. There was a winter before DH and I got married that I think we had like a month of "red" air days and it was so so gross. I had to run inside the whole time.

Still hobby jogging over here and going to yoga occaisionally, but i did wear gloves today so that was a better choice. Ran almost 6 miles this morning, and 5.5 over the weekend We're actually having a fall, which is nice.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Potentially amusing anecdote: DD1, who knows how many miles/day I was running before the hip thing (12), saw me come in the house Tuesday after my run. She jumped up into my arms and asked how far I ran. "About 7 miles" I told her. She gave me a funny look and said "That's not very far". Geez, thanks for pointing it out, Punkin'!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Jim E

Dwave - Dr's appt at 6:30? In an armpit? Yikes! I,m pretty good with 40 minutes of walking.

Hi Sam, Yeah, daily speed workouts FTW. Maybe "I know a book you might find interesting" would be an OK approach.

PJ - I can drop names too, see below.

Keen - So DD1 is your coach now?

Ilana - Happy cutting. Sorry about the not running.

My rib is a whole lot better. I managed some tempo intervals on Tuesday without any trouble. I'm pretty sure I can race this weekend. Also the smoke around here is pretty much gone, other than some suspiciously gaudy sunsets.              

I heard from a vision impaired traithlete wondering if I could get my CIM '15 race report back online somehow. Apparently it's a thing in the VI community even though it was nearly two years ago. I sent him the super bonus PDF edition, which has Amelia's account and some other stuff. Maybe I'll slap it up on this site somewhere. On a related note, Abbey D'Agostino won this year's USOC Jack Kelly award for that thing she did at the Olympics. That's two in a row for distance runners. We're so sporting.