What constitutes a run during a running streak? (Read 1244 times)

Only if you run in a circle/loop.
    I thought pi are squared and that pie are round? (Nice to have met you at El Scorcho, too).

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

q day

I think the goal of a streak is to challenge yourself with consistency. I'm a member of the USRSA and have a streak of over 2 years. For the last 18 months I've set my minimum at 3 miles a day, so I could always get the benefit of 20-30 minutes of daily exercise with the goal of consistency (a streak). I started the 3 miles a day on 1 Jan 07 and now call that my "sub streak". "The race is not always to the swift, but those who keep running" - USRSA slogan

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Why is it sideways?

Or how's this: I hate Bob Dylan.
        I think the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. The answer is a-blowin' in the wind.
        jpnairn

straw man

I think requiring any specific minimum distance is elitist. There's no way around it. It would be just as elitist to require any minimum pace. Therefore, I began a streak when I took a few steps on my own back in 1959, at nine months old, and to the best of my recollection, I've kept it going since then.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

q day

I think that "Streakers" are getting a bad rap here. Our definition of a streak is at least one mile a day, but we rarely do just one mile. Some of the greatest runners and coaches in the world have been "streakers". I'll mention Frank Shorter and Jack Daniels as two examples. The benefits of running are not merely physical, thus the 20-30 minute example is not the only way to measure the benefits. I think this article explains many aspects of the benefits of "streaking" even if it's only a mile. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/06/07/streak-runner-takes/ Define a streak anyway you wish, but don't knock it till you try it!

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Future running partner.

I sort of have my own version. I actual run 6 days a week. On the 7th day I cross train, so I count that. As long as it is some form of exercise on that day, I count it, whether its a mountain bike ride, or hard yard work, or a long day of walking at a theme park. The biggest benefit to a streak, is that it forces you to be consistent in your training. When I dont keep track of my streak, I am much more prone to miss a day here or there for various reasons.
                I sort of have my own version. I actual run 6 days a week. On the 7th day I cross train, so I count that. As long as it is some form of exercise on that day, I count it, whether its a mountain bike ride, or hard yard work, or a long day of walking at a theme park.
                Sometimes I park my car as far away as possible at the shopping mall, forcing myself to walk further. Does that count? Cool
                  Sometimes I park my car as far away as possible at the shopping mall, forcing myself to walk further. Does that count? Cool
                  no, but scraping ice off the windows does...
                  And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                  HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Idiots, the lot of you. It is an opinion thread. JK stated his. Considering those organizations are not exactly given some sort of certification by the Weights and Measures board, I'd say their definition is based on the creators' opinion of what constitutes a streak. At least JK stated the rationale behind his opinion, and I would consider it valid, or at least as valid as any other rationale that has been thrown out. My opinion: who effing cares? What do YOU call a streak? If you can match your definition, then right on. In the end, that's all that matters. Not the opinions of a bunch of nitwits on the Internet. Christ in a race car, you people can get worked up over some of the most inane things.
                    Dude - you need a hug.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    kcam

I'm gonna start logging the trip from the couch to the fridge and back. Should I record the Garmin distance or tape measure?
                        Tape measure, cause the Garmin won't work indoors

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JakeKnight

Tape measure, cause the Garmin won't work indoors
                          What? The Garmin is flawless. I just read it in another thread. I'm sure its perfectly accurate indoors. That tape measure thing is probably useless.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Sheesh, Don't believe everything you read

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JakeKnight

Sheesh, Don't believe everything you read
                              But I read it on the Internet. So it must be true.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

jpnairn

straw man

I think that "Streakers" are getting a bad rap here.
                                I think the mile per day minimum is giving streakers a bad rap, because most serious streakers do more than that.
                                Define a streak anyway you wish, but don't knock it till you try it!
                                And I have tried it. I ran every day for eight months. I think it was really good for me, and it was interesting how my mileage stayed up seemingly effortlessly. The minimum run I did in that time was 2.5 miles the day after a marathon. I just stopped because it seemed like too often I was doing silly stuff like putting on my running clothes at 10:30 PM to get my daily run in when I should have been in bed. I thought I could be more sensible about it, and just let it go sometimes and try to be consistent. But it turns out for me anyway, the silliness is part of the consistency. I know, 8 months is no big deal. I'm not trying to brag about it, just say that I have tried it. Anyway, the objectionable thing is the idea that covering 1 mile per day is all that's required for a streak. Why a mile? Why not a kilometer? If a kilometer is enough, why not a furlong? A furlong is a nice, round distance, about 200 meters. That should be enough.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry