2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There were two cases in New York state of house cats getting it (without severe consequences), so that's a thing.  From what I've read, the current thinking is it can go human to cat, but not cat to human.

(I have a cat on a long term daily dose of prednisolone, which suppresses the immune system, so that's one more thing to be concerned about, and one more reason to try not to catch it)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm not making this up, some woman at a bus stop last week yelled at me when walking my dog that my dog "should be wearing a mask."

She was not joking.

I will say you cat people should look out, looks like this thing is spreading among all the cats at the Bronx Zoo. Not sure if it's prevalent in house cats though.

Wait until you have a baby. You'll find out there is a whole new list of things you're doing wrong.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

(Warning: survey is pretty lengthy)

RRCA Launches Survey to Understand Runner Attitudes Related to a Return to Group/Event Running in the U.S

04/21/2020

Arlington, VA April 21, 2020 – The Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) has launched a nationwide survey to learn how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected participation in running events as well as locally organized group runs and training programs.  The goal of the survey is to gather data from runners to better understand what changes they expect to see within the running community and event industry, post-pandemic.

“The pandemic has impacted everyone in some way, from individuals and families to organizations, businesses, and events like running races and group runs,” explained Erica Gminski, RRCA Youth and Coaching Program manager.  “Public health officials' guidance on gathering size has led to countless events and group run postponements and cancellations in the coming months.”

Runners and race directors, like the population at large, hope to return to "normal" at some point in the coming months.  Runner feedback will be helpful as the RRCA works with a consortium of race directors, club leaders, health experts, industry leaders, and more in partnership to craft guidelines and recommendations to assist the running community in formulating best practice plans for post-pandemic running in the coming months.

Results will be shared in a few weeks following data review and analysis.

Complete the survey:  http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07eh1isn3jk94ehrqs/start

Dave

Resident Historian

OK, I would see them offering a refund, ideally, but other than that, I don't see why it is "underwhelming". Actually, for me, as a runner, having a free race voucher which I could use within next three (not one!) years is almost equal to a refund.

True, it is a statement of how the entries will be treated if the race happens. It's better than "if we cancel we'll keep your money." That's it.
          Cal, as a local, the three year voucher may be of value to you. 

As a non-local, if I were looking for a reason to register now, I'll certainly wait.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CalBears

As a non-local, if I were looking for a reason to register now, I'll certainly wait.

I agree... That's why, probably, with an exception of Major marathons, I will only be registering for local races in nearest future. Actually, I was mostly doing it anyway. I know many people like travelling and explore different places and races, but not me - that's why, probably, I though the CIM stand on the registration process is great. I also still would add that stating their position that far away from the race day also is very beneficial to everybody - for you, for example, it clears all the guessing and you know now for sure that you will wait (which you probably would do anyway Smile, but still - great to know facts so early.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

True, it is a statement of how the entries will be treated if the race happens. It's better than "if we cancel we'll keep your money." That's it.

Id rather register for a race knowing ill get to run it, than register and be told “ thanks for the donation. Race is canceled. It was in the waiver you signed that we get to keep your money” which is exactly what some fradulent race directors did prior to covid ninteen canceling everything within two weeks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Me - legs were pretty tight for today's recovery run but yesterday was my longest run in almost 3 years so go figure.  Was a great chance to test out a few things including the Maurten Drink Mix 320 which is pretty awesome stuff, it turns out.

I don't normally worry too much about hitting random milestones but I'd confess to having tacked on an extra km this morning so I hit 100km for the week.  Most fun day of the week was probably Thursday's pyramid workout - 12 min @ marathon effort, 9 min @ HM effort, 2 x 6 min @ 10k effort and 2 x 3 min @ 5k effort with 2 minute jog recoveries.  I was really blowing hard on the last 2 efforts even though I was a bit behind goal pace, it was a challenging and fun workout that I'll certainly look to do again.

Weekly for period: From: 20/04/2020 To 26/04/2020

Date Name Distance
                in km
                Duration Avg Pace
                per km
                Elevation Gain
                in m
                20/04/2020 Day 26: Craving a barista coffee 10.05 00:45:31 04:32 125
                21/04/2020 Day 27: Hill repeats in the fog 10.01 00:45:00 04:30 189
                22/04/2020 Day 28: A husky and a pug seems like an odd combination of dogs for someone to own 12.54 00:50:57 04:04 73
                23/04/2020 Day 29: Pyramid workout 16.41 01:05:20 03:59 73
                24/04/2020 Day 30: Easy cruise around the block 6.55 00:31:18 04:47 114
                25/04/2020 Day 31: L is for Lockdown and also for Lap 36.05 02:39:55 04:26 224
                26/04/2020 Day 32: Recovery shuffle and a hot date with the foam roller 8.52 00:41:45 04:54 76

Total distance: 100.13km / 62.2 miles

This week I'll probably look to do a 5K TT on Wed or Thurs as Athletics NZ is running a virtual competition and my club mates have all logged times so I don't want to let the team down.  There's no particularly fast courses around me so I'm not expecting anything amazing but it will be nice to go for a bit of a burn.

Races - we are moving to a lighter level of lockdown (Level 3) on Tuesday - instead of just essential services (Level 4), it's now essential services and takeaway food.  That's for 2 weeks and if that goes well, we might move up to Level 2 after that - at Level 2 outdoor gatherings of up to 500 are permitted so smaller races could be a go.  I'd say we've got at least 4-6 weeks of that until Level 1 and larger races are on the cards again.  So realistically we may have small races by late May / early June, and bigger races by July if the situation continues to improve here.

I'll only look at races within the Auckland region until it's pretty certain that there's no material risk of further cancellations or postponements.  I think at Level 1 that's a fairly safe bet as we've been pretty conservative lifting the lockdown to avoid having to go backwards again.

JMac - the fear is doing weird things to people.  Yesterday I was out running and at one point there was no-one around except for me and one other woman around 50m away.  She looked totally freaked out as I was running towards her and was trying to figure out where I was going despite there being complete open space and heaps of room (and only 3 reported cases in all of New Zealand the previous day!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I still think it’s a fair deal (local or non-local) and I hope other races have the same approach.

Today would be a great day to run the London marathon...1mph wind, 50-60f and sunny for the spectators!

Marky - Great week and hopefully you’ll be able to race again this year!  I’ve always been impressed with your PM...decisive and a good leader. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marky - nice week.  So...you guys were not allowed takeout food before?  We have always been allowed that, as a way to enable restaurants to maintain some business.  I very rarely bought takeout before, but I've been doing it weekly now just to plug a bit of money back into the local economy.

My week:

62 miles, 8 miles of walking
                    M: Upperbody weights, core, and 5 mile walk
                    T: 12.5 miles, including 2x2 miles at tempo effort, with splits of 12:49 (6:29/6:20) and 12:48 (6:27/6:21), and then two short 70 second hill repeats. 4:30 recovery between the tempo intervals; full recovery otherwise. Followed with leg strengthwork.
                    W: 5 miles easy on treadmill (9:06), live streaming yoga, and 7.5 miles easy on treadmill (8:53).
                    Th: Upper body weights/core and 3 mile walk. Live streaming yoga in evening.
                    F: 11 miles on the treadmill, including a "hill workout" of 8 sets of:
                    2:00 strong effort at 3.0 incline/ 1:30 easy effort at 0.5 incline/0:30 fast effort at 0.5/1:00 easy effort at 0.5 incline.Followed with leg strengthwork.
                    Sa: 10.5 miles very easy outside (9:02) plus drills and strides, live streaming yoga, and upper body weights/core.
                    Su: 15.5 miles including 14 progressive, split as the first 4 miles averaging 9:12 pace, the next 4 averaging 7:42, the next 6 averaging 7:02, and then a 1.5 mile cooldown. Followed with live streaming yoga.

Nothing much to note here (except that the treadmill got fixed). My new normal.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mark: Great week; you are abiding by your motto of consistency is king. Getting those big long runs in along with your already amazing speed, you'll be ready to tear it up once you can race again.

DW: Glad your treadmill is fixed. Those 2 mile reps look good; I am thinking of doing some of those soon.

I've been getting into a routine of sorts; doing one MLR with 2 x up a big hill (~1 mile long, 9% average grade) and then a treadmill tempo as two key runs in my weeks. I'd like to keep the hill MLR constant as I think it really builds my aerobic fitness better than anything. But it is tough! I will try to get the tempo run out on the road to see how the pace translates. Ever since getting my treadmill fixed about a year and a half ago, it is totally different pacewise. Used to be if it was set to 10 mph, my watch (via the footpod) would read in the 5:50's/mile. Now at 10 mph it shows ~6:20 pace on my watch. Unfortunately I think my Garmin is closer to correct .

Last 2 weeks here since I missed last week:

M: off

T: 13 @ 8:41

W: 14 @ 8:14 with 1480 feet of gain

T:  off

F: 13 @ 7:47 with 5 mi tempo: first 4 @ 6:22, last 1 @ 6:07

S: off

S: 20 @ 8:07

total: 60.1 mi

M: off

T: 10 @ 8:20

W: 14.1 @ 8:07 with 1498 feet of gain + 1 mi hard @ 6:10

T: 8.1 @ 8:36

F: 14 @ 7:35 with 6 mi tempo @ 6:20

S: 8.2 @ 8:25

S: 8 @ 8:44

total: 62.5 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

My week:

Mon - 7 easy

Tue - 9 easy

Wed - 11 easy

Thu - 7 easy

Fri - 9 easy

Sat - 15 MLR

Sun - 7 easy

Total = 65 miles

Comments:

- Another all-easy week, ramping the miles back up a bit. Next week will be...IDK. Just winging it here. 
                        - Hit 1000 miles for the year today, pretty sure it’s the earliest ever. On track for >3000, which would be a cool milestone I never thought I’d hit. 
                        - I need 38 miles in the next 4 days to hit 300 for April. I’ve done that only a few times. A 100 mile week sure makes a big dent. 
                        - Today is my birthday, entering a new age group at 55. One more disappointment of lack of racing; I was looking forward to some improved placements.

Dave

CalBears

Marky - as usual, consistent running, good mileage. The only problem I had with your week is when you said "shuffle" for your Sunday run. I checked the numbers, seems like your MP HR is around 160-165, you ran on Sunday at @130 bpm, after hard Saturday's long run workout. 130 bpm is exactly what you need at your recovery day, so, I am not getting this "shuffle" thing, it's not a shuffle, it's exactly what you supposed to do on your recovery day.

Darkwave - you mentioned some time ago that you love routine. Sorry, but your weeks are anything but routine - you read your week as an adventure book - you never know what you will see next Smile If you need routine, check my week 

PNW - mileage is very important, looks like. I also have 55 birthday coming in 2.5 months, also was hoping for AG placements improvements - especially in Boston Smile

JTR - I knew Hadd will have to wait for you, maybe when you get older Smile

My weeks was as usual. I started to have doubts about if I ever get anything that pays all the effort. 6 weeks in a row with 100+ miles and this week was tough - not a one day felt really easy. But I continue to encourage myself that the payback is there, just need to do it for a longer time, Hadd says - 20 weeks, so, have no choice but to continue believing.

Mon - off

Tue -  17.17 @8:46

Wed - 17.17 @8:57

Thu -  17.17 @8:41

Fri -    17.17 @9:04

Sat -   17.17 @9:08

Sun -  17.17 @8:50

===

Total: 103 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal: Yes, maybe Hadd sometime down the road for me. I just feel I need some kind of LT or slightly harder running, otherwise someone like me just stays slow. I also feel like the "Joe" guy Hadd trained is naturally extremely talented; not many people can run sub 2:25 marathons at age 35, especially going from no running for an extended period (years I think in Joe's case) to 2:25 marathon. Thus I wonder how much natural talent enabled that guy's amazing results from the Hadd training, versus deriving purely from the training method itself. I personally feel like a not-so-naturally talented person (like me for example) needs more in the way of hard running to get the best result. Of course that is just my own speculation and feeling. I will be interested to see how it works for you, and also what (if any) harder/faster running you do after the base period. Based on your results I may reconsider!

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Calbears - when I mentioned 'recovery shuffle' it was more because my legs were so stiff the day after that long run, I felt like I was doing a bit of a zombie shuffle.  The heart rate was fine, legs felt a bit like an ancient machine creaking back into life.  Also, that week of yours is the most consistent I have ever seen!

Darkwave - nope, no takeaways.  Only 'essential services' - basically supermarkets, gas stations and health services.  There was a queue of 15 cars at McDonalds at 6am this morning when I drove past on the way to the track!  I'm looking forward to a decent espresso coffee (takeaway, obviously) at some point this week.  Nice week also - I assume the pool running is off the menu for you at the moment?

JTReevesa couple of really solid weeks there.  I have an almost identical hill to yours that I have to climb at the end of most of my long runs - I swear hitting that hill with 15-18 miles in the legs already was one of the best strength builders around.

Dave - (belated) happy birthday!!  I'll hit a new AG next year too.

Mikkey - haha don't get me started on our PM!  She has handled some things very well, like the Christchurch terror attack last year, and overall the Covid-19 crisis (NZ does have a few natural advantages that helped too, though).  She's doing the best she probably can with a relatively incompetent group of senior ministers but she's a lot less decisive and effective when it comes to the day-in-day-out political stuff - there is a minority partner in the coalition government that basically pulls most of the major policy strings.

As an example of the quality of her ministerial team, the Minister of Health - in the middle of an unprecedented health crisis - has only made the news for two things:

• Firstly, the weekend after we went into lockdown (with reasonably strict 'stay at home' protocols) he took his signwritten car out to a mountain bike trail to go mountain biking - and of course got spotted
                              • Secondly, he drove 20km to the beach with his family to go for a walk (after the Police Commissioner had said it was only OK to go to the beach if it was in your local area, no long drives!)

Luckily for him, the top civil servant in the Ministry on this - the Director General of Public Health - is doing an excellent job.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I just picked up the kids some Maccas. About 30 cars in queue but moved quickly.

Enjoyable Zoom meeting yesterday nice to meet Cal and Darkwave and my mates from sub 1.30. Cal slightly better looking than Mikkey but looked very tired falling asleep while we talked 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "