2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

M_M_C

Not trying to be a creep, but I saw that we're practically neighbors. Maybe I'll see you around Lake Q sometime... You can tell its me if there is a guy in his mid 20's with awful facial hair and it looks like he is getting his butt kicked by a girl about the same age

My name is mikeymike although some people just call me Mike for short. I'm an M(50) hobbyjogger from the Boston area.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

mikeymike

Running pun! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I WORE MY RUNNING CLOTHS.

(fml)

Runners run

mikeymike

Not trying to be a creep, but I saw that we're practically neighbors. Maybe I'll see you around Lake Q sometime... You can tell its me if there is a guy in his mid 20's with awful facial hair and it looks like he is getting his butt kicked by a girl about the same age

Yo! Shout out to the town of Wakefield for plowing the sidewalks down to bare pavement almost all the way around prior to my "long" run on Sunday.

Runners run

Joann Y

Joann - You shouldn't take Brew so literally.

Ha. I get it, but you have to admit the post may have went a tiny bit too far. Smile  Whatevs!

Once I get to actually running some mileage I'm hoping to introduce myself here and commit to my fall marathon goal. Upwards of 40 miles a week would make me feel like I'm actually doing something. Until then ONWARD as mikeymike likes to say.

Btw, the swamp is a little like this place but somewhere else and I think one of the rules is that you don't talk about training but I might be wrong about that because there are a ton of gems there.

jayluf

jayluf: Good to see you back here. I saw you're planning on Fargo... that's on my radar as I'm looking for a later spring marathon that still has a good chance of being cool. Plus it is wonderfully flat . Have you run it before? Looks nice; I like that it starts and finishes inside the stadium.

Fargo

I ran Fargo two years ago - it's a fantastic option for a late spring / flat race that has a very high likelihood of having ideal weather conditions (when I ran it was high 30s/low 40s with a slight head wind on a couple segments). Definitely recommend. Fargo has a great downtown with post race burger/beer options. Let me know if you sign up!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And if you've mad it this far, sincerely, good luck in 2020, all. May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be always at your back and all that.

Yep! I finally get to read the mikeymike bio!  Good luck with your comeback. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

JMac - while I haven't tried them on the dreadmill, screw shoes are exceptional on ice here in Iowa. I think this is the classic page that I used to start making mine (seriously is this a geocities site?).

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ha. I get it, but you have to admit the post may have went a tiny bit too far. Smile  Whatevs!

I mean....telling someone they're only concerned with a medal isn't a tiny bit too far. It's crossing the line with a pitchfork. thems fightin words. 

You can hang out as often, or infrequently, as you want. This place operates like every social running group, except we only have weekly meetings when everyone can make it which is rare and I've had to work quite a few years for the annual meeting at the swamp known as Athlete's Village as I've read previously on the internet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - great video, thank you for the write up. It does seem like the ultimate adrenaline rush. I do wonder though if the jig will be up for OSR if some runner gets hit by a car, at which point the NYPD will crack down more.

JMAC & OMR

On Tuesday I did  a run with them and they pretty much stuck to sidewalks and bike paths. The races are a little more supported so they take more risk.  On a daily basis I have always seen people running in the streets around\through traffic due to how crowded NYC is around Times Square. Many people use those electric skateboards sometimes sans helmets and they go faster than yellow cabs weaving in and out of traffic. I'm amazed how they do it anytime Ive gotten my long board above 40 MPH I catch a speed wobble and  run for the grass. There were a few times in the race I checked my speed due to a dip in surface\manhole cover but I never hesitated for a car.

JMAC I really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again. I like the sheer pleasure of lining up racing, no bib, no BS, just pure unfiltered running.

I'll be sure to let you know the next one

(maybe Nimmals could tell the story that inverted his name?)

Rovatti I'm sorry but I have no clue who you are but since you know me, feel free to tell the story. Your name rings a bell but I don't remember you unless you are Thomas from NJ?? Or the guy who's GF was on NYAC elite team???

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

bhearn

I thought if I could go sub-3 at Boston at 50 that would be pretty cool since then I could say I did so in my 30's, 40's and 50's and then I could retire from marathons (again) because they are stupid.

I would also love to go sub-3 over 50... last time I did (or really raced a marathon) I was 49. But I think now I would have a hard time with the speed work required. So, I will stick with my ultra hobby jogging for a while longer. Good luck!

...Rovatti I'm sorry but I have no clue who you are but since you know me, feel free to tell the story. Your name rings a bell but I don't remember you unless you are Thomas from NJ?? Or the guy who's GF was on NYAC elite team???

That's definitelty not me... I avoid NJ and don't have a NYAC runner GF (my wife's from Hicksville and hates running).

I'm 58yo (steve), from NYC, skinny/bald, chronically-dinged-up ER doc at Bellevue.   Met you briefly at 5thAve Mile   I run with CPTC-NB when I'm able.

I recall you wound up in the penaly box on RWOL after a dustup, and had to comeback under an alias, but I don't recall the details.  Why didn't you change your name back, btw?

That's definitelty not me... I avoid NJ and don't have a NYAC runner GF (my wife's from Hicksville and hates running).

I'm 58yo (steve), from NYC, skinny/bald, chronically-dinged-up ER doc at Bellevue.   Met you briefly at 5thAve Mile   I run with CPTC-NB when I'm able.

I recall you wound up in the penaly box on RWOL after a dustup, and had to comeback under an alias, but I don't recall the details.  Why didn't you change your name back, btw?

Random drop in (this thread is finally interesting) - my dad was from Hicksville and my SIL did her res/f’ship at Bellevue ER.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Awesome, so you’re friends with Gerry, Peter and Sherman. I love those guys. Very classy guys, I have nothing but respect for them. Peter, Mark and I have had some fierce races but we always congratulate hang and grab lunch after. Really great guys and Ro is my really good friend. I’m a miler at heart I do marathons to support my GF dreams but I hate the damn distance but I love the training just not the race itself too many things have to go right on a given date and time. The mile you can run recover in a week or two and go again marathon you get one shot and if it’s not perfect you’re left feeling ❔

Thats the point I was trying to make about not letting a single race define you. I remember Boston 2014 I was sick as a dog and on antibiotics. I felt I could run faster had I not been sick the prior week. I ran a 2:39 was thoroughly disappointed. 11 days later I ran Long Island and ran 3 and a half minutes faster. I didn’t let the Boston race define my fitness I knew I was better had I not been sick or if it wasn’t a tad warm.

So while I say off the cuff things to make a point. I speak from experience, risk that I take I would never recommend to an athlete but me I won’t let a race result get me down. I’ll Opt for a do over or run a step down distance then if it aligns with McMillan, I have closure.

case closed🎬🔨

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

I don’t understand how a single race could ever “define you” unless you never raced again.

i f’d up baystate so bad...having mikeymike and Greg(? I think) watch me walking on the last bridge....so embarrassing. But whatever, there’s always another race. I agree marathons are stoopid. But even those you can always do another one. Takes a little longer. But there’s always another one. Until there isn’t.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is a single race that defines me. 

is that bad?

I don’t understand how a single race could ever “define you” unless you never raced again.