2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Doubles I didn't really like them when I did them for Chicago. 70 mile weeks seemed easier when I was doing them. It's just a lot of laundry and the ONLY advantage  FOR ME was everyone was sleeping when I did my first 7 miles in comfortable weather. For CIM I just did my runs while my wife was working so I could be home in time for dinner. I think one advantage of doubles is the mentality it builds of doing something when you really don't want to. Being comfortable being uncomfortable isn't exactly easy to teach/learn.

States It's getting been ridiculous. I think last year or the year before there were 9 people with 8 tickets and 7 got in. A sponsor gave the last remaining individual a sponsored spot. If I wanted to I'd cherry pick a qualifier, and meet the local requirements to get one of their spots through LOTS of volunteering. Better would be to run a FEW qualifiers so I have more tickets in a smaller lottery (one is a group John Trent participates in). If anyone here wants a guide from 64 on I'm down. Limited night running experience, limited trail running experience, not too familiar with the trail other than knowing it is well marked, and I can probably keep you awake talking to you for the night time portion of the event. Oh and I'll totally get photos of you no one else would be willing to take, or want to take. The Mike Tyson punch to the heart was probably as close to a hit of heroin I'd want to come. Plus who doesn't love reading my rambling thoughts when they should be sleeping/working/online shopping?

8 people in the 2020 Entrants have 128 tickets and 2 of them have finished before (Calvin Wong finished in 2011 and 2012). 34 have 1 ticket and 5 have previously finished.

JMac this is going to be so much fun to watch. God I so wish I could be there just to watch it live. I should just take the day off work this time because I'm going to be so pumped watching everyone on the computer screen.

Mikemike I don't shower after runs. I did previously however it just makes the run take longer. I work in a cube farm too so I'm sure the smell goes well with my personality.

Cal I really think the hardest part of the race is starting to qualify and racing it 8 years later. A LOT can change in that much time and it's probably a strong reason why people drop. Qualify at 50 and run it at 58. I think Scotty Mills is the only other person who could POSSIBLY get a 2500 mile buckle and he might not want to.

Maybe States is where Boston finishers go to die. New York just isn't challenging enough and after doing ONE 100 miler they just drop off knowing it took 4 years, 7 marathons, close to 6 minutes faster than your qualifying time, and $25 in snacks for ONE run just to get in to Boston so the scale to get into Western States just isn't worth it. Maybe it's just me and I don't have any "easy" qualifiers nearby that are actually on the course along with a couple of groups of runners familiar with the event and distance to train with.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Ayy what up just popping in to update that I have a heel spur. No clue on recovery time yet - I stopped running 2 weeks ago with the onset of familiar PF symptoms, my hunch was confirmed by my podiatrist yesterday but the spur on X-ray totally blindsided me. Good news I guess is that I'm already ahead of the game on rehab, bad news is that 2 weeks hasn't really touched the pain - it still comes and goes pretty randomly. Anyway. That's probably the end of my spring season already, maybe the end of my year, hopefully not the end of my career.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.  My Dad has the same.  He is doing a bunch of exercises because it is rubbing on his achilles.  after doing them for a few months he is back to running but had to change shoes for something with a little more drop to take pressure of the tendon.

Ayy what up just popping in to update that I have a heel spur. No clue on recovery time yet - I stopped running 2 weeks ago with the onset of familiar PF symptoms, my hunch was confirmed by my podiatrist yesterday but the spur on X-ray totally blindsided me. Good news I guess is that I'm already ahead of the game on rehab, bad news is that 2 weeks hasn't really touched the pain - it still comes and goes pretty randomly. Anyway. That's probably the end of my spring season already, maybe the end of my year, hopefully not the end of my career.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Lauren good on getting to the doctor and cutting back when you did. As someone who has never had reoccurring injuries I seriously can't understand being laid up unable to run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Doubles, I love doubles and triples. I have even done double races lol Boston in the morning Massapequa in the evening etc.

When I worked in Connecticut . I ran  morning lunch and evening about 3 days a week.. I was working on getting my  MM and oftentripple but it was mostly 15 -18 easy miles, often 3/7/7 0r  4/6/6.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Before I continue, I need to mention a band I listen to for the last year (thanks to my teenage daughter ) - My Chemical Romance.

I approve!    They must be getting on a bit now as I remember seeing them play at the Brighton Centre way back in 2007 when they were touring The Black Parade album.

Kram - Sorry to hear the ankle is still playing up and hope the brace helps! 👍

Doubles - Never did them, even when I was averaging 90mpw. The idea of changing into running gear twice in one day never appealed to me.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I approve!    They must be getting on a bit now as I remember seeing them play at the Brighton Centre way back in 2007 when they were touring The Black Parade album.

They broke up in 2013 but miraculously decided get back together (rumors saying it's a pressure from the Studio, Warner?) - and gave first concert in December 2019. They are going on tour in 2020 but I could not get the tickets so far - the prices are just ridiculous...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Andres1045

I'm another one that really doesn't like doubles for most of the reasons stated. The only times I've done them they've felt forced. Like when I'm trying to average 8 to 10 per day, but can only get in 5 one morning for some reason. I'll then go to the gym and force another 4 to 5 on the treadmill.

But I think the big reason is that I feel like I get more recovery from having more time off between runs. Which is a bit odd, I guess. Because in general I feel like I recover way better from a super easy 4 mile day than I do from a day totally off. But the few times I've done a Tuesday night track workout, and then tried to run 11 hours later in the morning, I feel like I'm barely able to move. I certainly don't feel better off having forced myself to run that morning. Maybe it's just a matter of getting accustomed to it though.

----

To those of you that are still interested in the vaporfly controversy, I found this article to be the most interesting one that I read: https://www.outsideonline.com/2408971/nike-vaporfly-controversy

My general hope is that the new rules, plus other brands catching up, kill all the controversy. It's really been a rather annoying topic in a sport that really doesn't need additional reasons to lose fans.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

----

To those of you that are still interested in the vaporfly controversy, I found this article to be the most interesting one that I read: https://www.outsideonline.com/2408971/nike-vaporfly-controversy

My general hope is that the new rules, plus other brands catching up, kill all the controversy. It's really been a rather annoying topic in a sport that really doesn't need additional reasons to lose fans.

That was a very good article.  Very fair and reasoned (I think we haven't seen much of that in the VF discussions - it's mostly been click-baiting and confirmation bias).

I think there needed to be regulation, just for clarity, and so I'm really glad we now have it.  I think one gap that remains open, and needs to be addressed: whom do these rules apply to?  Is it just the Keitanys and Kipchoges?  Just the Jared Wards and Kellyn Taylors?  What about those going for an OTQ?  What about those who get comped entry as masters elite, and occasionally win prize money?  What about age group award contenders?  What about people who just want to BQ?

We have a recurring issue that our sport has rules about drugs, outside assistance, headphones, and now shoes.  Our sport is one where everyone is theoretically competing in the same race, from Galen Rupp at the very front to the person hobbling in over 8 hours later.  And yet, there's this understanding that all of these rules apply to the very front, and not at all to the very back, and there's kittle or no clarity on where the cut-off between the two falls.  That's a big gaping hole that needs to be addressed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

All those who ran PRs in VFs can breathe a sigh of relief 

Though my PR was run in Asics DS racers (unfortunately discontinued), my next marathon will probably be in either VFs or Adidas Adios 4s. I've been using the latter in recent weeks and they are so comfortable. It will be a tough choice...

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Though my PR was run in Asics DS racers (unfortunately discontinued), my next marathon will probably be in either VFs or Adidas Adios 4s. I've been using the latter in recent weeks and they are so comfortable. It will be a tough choice...

I love the Adios 4, and have been doing all of my long runs and workouts in that shoe (I've been stocking up, since it's on sale everywhere).  I actually prefer the VF slightly for racing - that extra cushioning without any additional weight is very nice.  But I think it's a close call - if I was doing a race with a lot of tight turns, steep downhills, or on slick surfaces, I'd go with the Adios instead.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great article, and I found this to be the most convincing part of the whole thing regarding why the current rules make sense and why this idea that the VF was the sole reason for records being broken is wrong:

Here’s the catch, though. When swimming’s new rules came into effect, there was a widespread sense that the age of world records was over for a long, long time. After all, the suits used to set every one of those records were now banned. But if you look at the 40 major men’s and women’s swimming records now, all but 12 of them have been set since 2010. Somehow, swimmers—or perhaps suits and pools—keep getting faster.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

My understanding is that the regs only apply to world events. USA will likely apply them to national championships (10 mile national championship, usa Olympic trials, etc). For anything smaller than that anything goes. OTQ road races likely not included because it would be too burdensome to have someone at every marathoning America checking. My guess is the reg will apply to anyone who is eligible for drug testing. Everyone else can wear whatever they want. Unless you are racing and placing with paid pros, it will not effect you.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Also I think it will be unlikely that "illegal" shoes will ever hit the market. Now that there is a group to review the shoes and 4 month pre event period where they must be out, if they don't get the OK they won't hit the market.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. My guess is the reg will apply to anyone who is eligible for drug testing. Everyone else can wear whatever they want. Unless you are racing and placing with paid pros, it will not effect you.

But, see...it's not always so clear on who is eligible for drug testing.  For example, I don't think anyone on here is a pro, and yet all of us are theoretically subject to drug testing (you can read the USADA rules on testing pool versus non-national athlete versus recreational athlete).  USADA has tested and busted non-elite athletes.  NYRR theoretically tests in its races.    I'm far from a pro, but when I accept a comped entry, I often have to sign an additional form when picking up my bid, certifying that I understand and comply with the drug rules.

Again, it's just not clear where the line is.  I really  think that races should have checkboxes with entries - "competitor" or "recreational" - if you check competitor, then you're eligible for age group or overall awards, but have to comply with all the rules, drugs, shoes, outside assistance, etc.   If you're recreational, then go have fun.