2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Yes, Slammin and JMac are the only proper runners on this thread. 

I am not a proper runner I look like a TRex and I am more comfortable running shorter races like 800-Mile.

I'm AG 90 at those events while in the 70s at the marathon so i am not a proper distance runner i am a decent  miler or middle distance guy for my age.

Did you know I am diasspoint and they were still fast. I love the guy he always say my speed, I always say his physique he never gets tired, he never gets hurt and in the summer runs a 50 miler in Hot ass Bermuda. He is an amazing runner he just has no speed training he was running fast for a while with Stryd but seems like he stopped that. The guy is a legend did Boston and then ran London on some  blokes bib a few days later.  Weren't both sub 3??

He is still at it look at his runs this weekend??  He is a good candidate for an ultra runner unlike some others who flock to it for all the wrong reasons.

Sunday Morning Run

20.38 mi
    8:02 /mi
    2h 43m

Saturday Morning Run

27.14 mi
    7:44 /mi
    3h 29m

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

JT- I see now. You have TM on Saturday for treadmill? I thought you ran tempo @marathon pace.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cyberic- I understand now, still switching pace to up it at the end of a long run is still really tough. Solid job. My end of my Long run went very strongly in a different direction....

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wow!!! Just noticed and that's hilarious (put sarcasm here). So, Black Canyons 100K is a WS100 qualifier and it has 5200 ft of elevation ascent and to get qualified for WS100, you should finish under 17 hours. OK. What I find puzzling is that the race I am going to run is Quicksilver 100K in May. It's also 100K, but it has 13,500 ft of ascent and you have to run under 16 hours to qualify. What I am missing? Why such a huge discrepancy? Anybody who runs ultra will certainly understand the difference between 13.5K and 5.2K ascents - it's like day and night... Obviously, not throwing any stones at OMR - that has nothing to do with him. But puzzled nevertheless (because I struggle with that 13.5K elevation all the time, BIG time )

Any significant differences in how the vertical ascent is distributed? Also how technical the trails are.  No idea how WS makes its decisions, but lots of smaller ascents and descents are easier for me than a couple big ascents and descents.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DPS - The LR was really good - I'm really liking the route I've been using for LRs. Mostly smaller rollers (with one bigger one) on the part that's on my usual route, but then with some longer/higher hills on the new portion. Plus the new portion of road is really well maintained (but completely deserted from a traffic standpoint) so I can run in the pre-dawn darkness with my headlamp turned off without risking anything.

WS Qualifiers - I thought this was done mostly on how many finishers the qualifying races have, with it essentially going to the largest races. Otherwise, why would Tunnel Hill be a qualifier if a person finishes in 30 hours? Someone finishing anywhere near that cutoff at Tunnel has zero chance of finishing States in 30 hours.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Andres1045

This has really spiraled.

It was more that I am shocked people would run 100-120 MPW unless there was something bigger at stake vs. just improving times.

I didn't really think it had spiraled too far. And it certainly didn't strike a nerve. It was just a difference in opinion. I was also just trying to point out why I thought you got the reaction that you did--we all (or most of us) know you and know that you're not going to come out pat yourself on the back and brag about being better than the rest of us. But I wanted to point out how what you said could easily be interpreted way far from what your message was.

But despite knowing you weren't trying to be a jerk, I disagree with your point. I think you have it a little off. From what I've seen over the years is that people that run that kind of mileage generally do it because they enjoy running that kind of mileage. The gains in marathon (or any distance) time is secondary. They don't need something bigger at stake to want to run that mileage--maintaining that mileage is a big part of the reward (while still enjoying being able to run fast marathons). My guess is that the people that do it solely to try to get a fast marathon time don't last too long running that kind of mileage.

Upcoming races: Boston

JT- I see now. You have TM on Saturday for treadmill? I thought you ran tempo @marathon pace.

Sorry DPS, I should not use that abbreviation (or at least should explain it); yes, TM is treadmill.

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

Any significant differences in how the vertical ascent is distributed? Also how technical the trails are.  No idea how WS makes its decisions, but lots of smaller ascents and descents are easier for me than a couple big ascents and descents.

Quicksilver 100K elevtion profile

Oh boy... Big ascents and big descents. It has it plenty... Quicksilver has a lot of pretty steep ascents and descents - just check miles 17 to 31 - two ascents of 2000+ ft, each with corresponding equal descent. Plus one 1700 ft ascent/descent combination miles 8-17. And then there is this huge descent (~2500 ft) from mile 31-32 to mile 41 that, if not careful, totally destroys your already very tired quads. Most of the times I ran that race I am losing interest in everything by mile 36-38 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

But despite knowing you weren't trying to be a jerk, I disagree with your point. I think you have it a little off. From what I've seen over the years is that people that run that kind of mileage generally do it because they enjoy running that kind of mileage. The gains in marathon (or any distance) time is secondary. They don't need something bigger at stake to want to run that mileage--maintaining that mileage is a big part of the reward (while still enjoying being able to run fast marathons). My guess is that the people that do it solely to try to get a fast marathon time don't last too long running that kind of mileage.

Man... I always envied the way you can express things in words so perfectly. I am signing up under each word you said above. That's exactly how I feel about running - races and mileage - and that's why I also like ultra races (though still didn't run one 100 miler) - because in a span of 12-24 hours you can experience everything from deep despair to highest highs and the overcoming those dark moments is contagious and those memories of a "battle" during that short period of time is why you coming back to it over and over again - despite being basically ruined by the end of each race .

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Re: time dedicated to training.  I'm reluctant to judge too much how much or little time someone dedicates to training.  Should someone with a 28 minute 5K PR just quit running?  Does the Olympian think I'm wasting my time?

On the other hand, I know a guy who ran 1:05 for the half and 2:22 for the full a few years ago (on record eligible courses).  He's now running pretty much the same times I am, because he's got other interests in life, and doesn't really feel like training hard right now.  Should I judge his choices?

I'm also reminded of how, more than a decade ago, I was a 22 minute 5K runner.  I trained with pretty much the same dedication I show now, and thrived off the progress I saw.  Hard work, all the little things.  Drills, strides, foam rolling, PT.  The structure of my training has changed; the focus has remained constant.  And I got the same joy from it then that I do now.  I just run faster now, is all.

I actually get bummed when people who are currently at that level (~22 minute 5K) tell me that they aren't good enough to justify doing drills and strides and all the little things.  For one thing, it's not about being good enough, it's about whether you get fulfillment and joy out of it.  If you don't get joy out of doing the work, or all the little things, then that's fine and legit, and I respect that.  But don't avoid them because you think you're not fast enough to be worth them.  If I didn't work as hard as I did back then, I don't think I'd be where I am now.  And I don't think I'm any more or less deserving of investing in myself now than I was back then.

Re:toughness.  I think hammering at toughness is an awful way to develop it.  Toughness is about just showing up and doing what you came to do; no drama.  Hammering and trying to constantly train it are counter productive.  It's always the people who go on and on about how hard they fight their mental battles (and post umpteen motivational phrases) that are the headcases, I find.  The truly tough just do it.

If you do workouts consistently, race regularly, and try not to whine too much, you're getting all the mental toughness training you need.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Cal:  Here's Black Canyon's elevation profile for a comparison.

CalBears

Cal:  Here's Black Canyon's elevation profile for a comparison.

Wow. I would love to run that course - basically 35-40 miles mild downhill with some rollers Smile Awesome! But for the total ascent - 5200 ft - I just ran 21 miles yesterday with 4300 ft of ascent - so, I definitely know what 5200 ft would feel like 

Running Problem

Problem Child

WS Qualifiers - I thought this was done mostly on how many finishers the qualifying races have, with it essentially going to the largest races. Otherwise, why would Tunnel Hill be a qualifier if a person finishes in 30 hours? Someone finishing anywhere near that cutoff at Tunnel has zero chance of finishing States in 30 hours.

Hurt 100 had 63 finishers, 62 not finish, and one not start. Previous years show 75ish finishers out of 125 total runners.

Tahoe Rim trail shows about 65% finisher rate.

Sandy Eggo 100 miler shows about the same 65%. (Karl Meltzer once won this and DNF'd at States.)

Javalina had about 59% of people qualify in 2019's race.

Leadville had 387 finishers. 9 people DNF'd in 2019. In 1999 they had 209 finishers out of 210. Probably because it has less than 3,200 ft of elevation change according to Strava. It isn't even 100 miles.

https://l283s3pxq2ktw6gs37ski16ee-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-LT100-Run-Course-Profile.png

Ian Sharman's result.

Western States 2019 had an 86%+ finisher rate. It's practically gotten easier every year since 1996. 53% finished the year the course received RECORD levels of snow. 836 inches. Because California does snow HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGE.

So all you have to do is get into the race and it's easy to get in. Probably the same as Boston. Once you're in you're practically guarenteed a spot without really having to do much more than running a marathon qualifying time which should be easier for those who have been there. 

Yeah, I said it. Getting into Boston is easy. 

EDIT: Not to be left out.

Tarawara produced 252 qualifiers for Western States in their 2019 event and shows 399 finishers. 63% chance of getting in. AS long as you understand the second day of February this year was the ONLY day we ALL agree on how the date is written.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

OMR: Nice to have someone on here doing a 100K!

Weatherboy:  Missed this earlier...thanks, but I'm not the only one doing a 100K this year.  Rumor has it cal is running one, too...and I think there are a couple of others out there...

Brew:  Well, just to be clear (and I know you know this), qualifying for WS only gets you into the lottery, not into the actual race.  Qualifying (to me) isn't that difficult if you can get into a race.  Being persistent enough (or lucky enough) to actually get selected is a different matter.  Imagine if Boston only accepted 264 runners, chosen by a lottery system with "Golden Tickets."

Doubles:  I'm curious about other high-mileage runners' experiences with doubles.  The highest weekly mileage I've ever run is around 101, and for a while I was averaging 80+ pretty regularly.  I tried doubles once, and doing something like an 8/4 double was a lot harder on me than just doing a 12-miler and resting until the next day.  Maybe I was running the 4 too fast, but it just seemed to interrupt rather than aid my recovery.

Running high mileage:  Interesting to read others' perspectives on this.  I'm still working my way back into shape, but I have to say, I was much happier with my running when I was in the 80+ range.  In the 50s, I just feel like a slug, and if I didn't think it could get any better than this, I would probably turn into a hobby jogger who hobby jogs as a hobby.  Or a potato that sits on couches.

kramrunner

A quick update from me.

A rubbish last couple of weeks with my ankle completely mis-behaving resulting in ~11miles and ~20miles. Hoping to get back to running daily this week with the addition of an ankle brace. Still sore on both sides, with all the lower leg muscles taking it in turn to get tight.

Good to see some weeklies in amongst the angst! I'll try and get back to paying more attention when my ankle enables proper running again, but I'm a bit of a miserable sod right now... though that might fit right in 

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)