2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I don't want to distract all of you from thoughts related to running, but I am interested in your response to this article...because this is where I teach...

I read the article and what is important to understand is the feelings of collective students. Its not really about who is teaching is that the words made the students uncomfortable regardless of race. It could have been read and discussed without incident if he had paid attention to the collective response of the class. He forced his idea on them in the pursuit of dialogue but you have to understand that some topics make people uncomfortable. maybe he could have used smaller groups say to the ones who had no issue  huddle discuss the ones who had issues huddle discuss as well but in a manner that was respectful to what the groups dictated was their comfort.

Harassment| like racial insensitivity is in the perception of the individual who feels it it is not the aggressor or commenters to decide what constitute harassment or racially insensitive epithets. If i say week in week out attacking me passive aggressive names is uncomfortable and one does not stop dont get surprised when verbally slapped across the face. Then says youre stressed out i did nothing to deserve that. It is not to up you to say what you deserved if you constantly verbally attack  or harass people with words.

It might be funny entertaining or not a big deal to you. But to the person being made uncomfortable it is a big deal.

Cosby, Weinstein, Matt Lauer still think they were the real victim and that they were attack for doing absolutely nothing just like poor King Bear. they think so much of them selves they didn't see their predatory behavior as being out of the ordinary. They think they are the true victims, those good old boys everyone loves....

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

But I do get turned off by the spirit of the race - it's just too "self-celebratory" for me.  Have you ever been stuck in a line or on an airplane with "that guy"?  Yknow, the one wearing a jacket from one marathon, carrying a bag from another, and talking to everyone in a very loud voice about all the marathons he's run?

LOL, that’s interesting as I always saw you as a dedicated runner and would like all that stuff.    I always dress as a rocker rather than a racer to destination marathons to avoid any unwanted running bores! (I’m a bit stand offish with people that I don’t know).  Boston never appealed to me....until the Cal challenge! I’ll be running it in 2021 and it will be good to see my buddy Andres again and a few other posters that I’ve respected over the years on the RW forum. 👍

Seriously Slammin, just let it go as it’s getting REALLY boring with all this to and fro.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

But I do get turned off by the spirit of the race - it's just too "self-celebratory" for me.  Have you ever been stuck in a line or on an airplane with "that guy"?  Yknow, the one wearing a jacket from one marathon, carrying a bag from another, and talking to everyone in a very loud voice about all the marathons he's run?

On marathon weekend, Boston gets overrun by people like that.  (In contrast to CIM, where Sacramento gets overrun by people who want to modestly run fast).  Boston would be a fantastic race if it wasn't for the people.

What about the ones who send their kids to school with bags from their marathon and then they wear shirts from ANOTHER marathon, and then claim it's a good thing their hobby is running or else they couldn't keep up with the kid?

*hids CIM bag and doesn't currently have a jacket from a different marathon*

I think the Boston Jacket just feeds itself. I want one because others have them and I want to be "that guy" who has run it and won't shut up about it. Even my non-running friends know about Boston. They probably think New York is not as big of a deal. I told one friend "It's just as far as the other ones." when he said "Isn't Boston like the Super Bowl of marathons?" Although, the girl I occasionally run with who has been there 5 times gets a "oh look at who brought out the fancy shcmancy shirt and wants to show off today?" when she shows up with anything from there. She laughs especially when I say "not all of us can go there five times likes it's no big deal. Some of us have to try for four years after saying we'd never run a marathon and then have to fail like three times trying to ACTUALLY get there just so we can buy an overpriced wind breaker other people get at Burlington a week later for like $20."

It became very interesting when I was waiting for Max and heard a kid with a silver belt buckle (sub 24) say "this is the only place I can wear it. I don't go to the dinner anymore" and I realized it was about the same thing as wearing a boston jacket in boston. I told him I'd wear the buckle EVERYWHERE. To work, to a funeral. Anywhere I wore a belt because that thing took some WORK to put in and I'd want to show it off ALL the time instead of treating it like some fragile antique I only bring out for special occasions.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

That was the point Cinnamon was trying to make about how pretentious the jacket was.

I read a really great article on Des Linden, I can now understand why she has so many fans on here and why DP considers her a true grinder. The couple times saw her in person she was awkward and stressed out. Had an I'd rather be anywhere but here vibe.  Where as Meb was natural and easy going.

I had Amy Cragg as a DNF on my list so I'm 1 of 12 in my predictions.

Samantha Roecker seems to been injured, she is nowhere near her CIM 2018 form.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Seriously Slammin, just let it go as it’s getting REALLY boring with all this to and fro.

Nah... Let him continue - it’s interesting to see how some people getting so upset when they know some strangers do not like them... They go long winded to say how those strangers full of themselves... Very amusing.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cyberic

Boston - I think this race means different things to different people.  For me, the primary appeal is that it's only an hour flight away and a chance to return to an area I lived in for several years, and I think the course can be a fast one if you get the right year (BIG IF).

On marathon weekend, Boston gets overrun by people like that.  (In contrast to CIM, where Sacramento gets overrun by people who want to modestly run fast).  Boston would be a fantastic race if it wasn't for the people.

Funny how it is different for different people. Contrary to you I enjoyed the whole running/runners celebration vibe behind everything in Boston that weekend.

In Montreal all you hear about the (Montreal) marathon in the media and on the news is how people are pissed that the roads are blocked, and how many people left by ambulance, and all problems associated with the race and how it affected the normal flow of operations of the city.

For my one and only (to date) destination marathon I was blown away by the atmosphere in Boston, how waiters in restaurants would ask me "are you here for the marathon?" and would wish me good luck. How people were partying, having BBQs and beer (2016 was a warm and sunny day) all along the marathon course. You would have told me this and I would not have believed you, as it is light years away from how the marathon is perceived here by the population.

I did not buy a celebration jacket myself, but seeing so many jackets of all years and colors all over town during the whole weekend was pretty cool, too!

I didn't like the race itself so much. The late start, the long wait in athlete's village. It's a well oiled machine, and everything went as smoothly as they could have gone, but I still woke up early and started racing late. By that time the temperature had risen, the sun was right above our heads... I prefer early morning races.

So I did not like the race, but liked the people!

Boston apparel - I guess it's slightly braggy (like wearing a Harvard T-shirt), but it doesn't bother me.   BQ was never special to me personally, because I got it without much work.   OTOH, I never got close to a moose mug...  but if I had, I'd have strapped it to the top of my head and paraded through midtown.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

LOL, that’s interesting as I always saw you as a dedicated runner and would like all that stuff.    

I think it's the difference between a) discussing running with other people who are really into running and like discussing it (i.e. this board) and b) expecting attention and adulation for one's running, especially from non-runners.

As for the jackets, I don't buy them myself, but I also know that they are meaningful to other people, and I hate to shi!t on that.  For myself, if you're wearing the jacket because it's special and meaningful to you, then go for it.  If you're wearing the jacket because it's important to you that other people know and recognize you as a Boston Marathon qualifier, then that's more distasteful to me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I'll be back in a few weeks. Life is going to get busy and I can't take the griping on this thread. I have a emotionally draining job and about to up mileage which is physically draining. I have my first race in 2 weeks. I'll likely come back after that with an update to how it went. 8k, mostly flat with a overpass bridge being the one hill. Going for sub 29:00 cause I'll be keeping my milage in the 85-95 range.

Running is my decompression and the back and forth in this thread is making it less so. So I'm keeping the fun part amd stepping away from the not fun part.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running is my decompression and the back and forth in this thread is making it less so. So I'm keeping the fun part amd stepping away from the not fun part.

Good luck on your race, and I hope to see you back.  I've enjoyed your posts.

Hopefully this slobberknocker will not last much longer...  I guessing there will be appreciation for whichever of these knuckleheads does not get the last word in...  

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good luck on your race, and I hope to see you back.  I've enjoyed your posts.

Hopefully this slobberknocker will not last much longer...  I guessing there will be appreciation for whichever of these knuckleheads does not get the last word in...  

It's a marathon (training thread) and they just got started. I think one might have hit the wall a little early, BUT I see a comeback and a second wind coming. I think we're around the 10k mark.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

It's a marathon (training thread) and they just got started. I think one might have hit the wall a little early, BUT I see a comeback and a second wind coming. I think we're around the 10k mark.

Brew, you usually right (right, am I right or am I right?) but you are wrong this time - the course had too much downhill, my training was too idiotic, my quads gave up early and I had to DNF after 10K mark. But I did it for a good reason 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, you usually right (right, am I right or am I right?) but you are wrong this time - the course had too much downhill, my training was too idiotic, my quads gave up early and I had to DNF after 10K mark. But I did it for a good reason 

Downhill marathons suck. It’s really hard to blow up and make it look like it was the course unless you’re REALLY good at sandbagging. Yuo only sandbag a few minutes Mr.Im not in sub-3 shape.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Downhill marathons suck. It’s really hard to blow up and make it look like it was the course unless you’re REALLY good at sandbagging. Yuo only sandbag a few minutes Mr.Im not in sub-3 shape.

Actually, everything was coming along nicely in my training that was targeting to beat your Race Of the Century PR - until I got sick and had to cancel all my workouts for two weeks by now Sad So, you have to wait Smile

Btw, there is a forumite here, name Steve from NY - he doesn't like me either - I think he thinks I am the biggest sandbagger in the universe, which probably means "a coward" in human terms - but I am not a sandbagger, I just like enjoying beating my lowered expectations Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'll be back in a few weeks. Life is going to get busy and I can't take the griping on this thread. I have a emotionally draining job and about to up mileage which is physically draining. I have my first race in 2 weeks. I'll likely come back after that with an update to how it went. 8k, mostly flat with a overpass bridge being the one hill. Going for sub 29:00 cause I'll be keeping my milage in the 85-95 range.

Bless you buddy, I understand. Good luck with your race in 2 weeks time.

Good luck darkwave and Keen this Sunday. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)