2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nimmals I was thinking of doing a 3x2T workout before the interview to get the nerves down and leave a lasting impression. It has the added bonus of saying I had a little "Jack Daniels" before the workout. I'm safely NOT wearing any Slim Fit shirts. My mother purchased one of those for me and it was recently donated.

Weather Every time I read about someone going off course I remember the Napa Marathon that took people off course. In two separate years. At the same point. I've thankfully never been fast enough to be up front. Being a mid packer DOES have it's advantages. Less wind resistance....less missed opportunities.....less time standing around after waiting for awards.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

Yeah, I actually have a few friends running Gate Saturday!  I already have a family function planned for Saturday so won't be able to attend, but that race is certainly on my radar though.  It's a very well organized, first tier event and a fast race overall!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

DavePNW

Every time I read about someone going off course I remember the Napa Marathon that took people off course. In two separate years. At the same point. 

Huh. Good to know. I know someone who just ran Napa last weekend, as a replacement for Tokyo. She couldn’t say enough good things about it, and I’ve added it to my list of potential spring races to do at some point. Partially because it’s a destination my wife would likely approve of.

Dave

CalBears

Weather Every time I read about someone going off course I remember the Napa Marathon that took people off course. In two separate years. At the same point. I've thankfully never been fast enough to be up front. Being a mid packer DOES have it's advantages. Less wind resistance....less missed opportunities.....less time standing around after waiting for awards.

Brew - are you sure it was Napa Valley and not Santa Rosa marathon? I ran Napa Valley and cannot imagine where they would redirect wrong on that course. I know for sure that at Santa Ross they had that kind of incident at least once in 2016.

Ok - now I found the article and yes, looks like it was Santa Rosa - twice. Plus once they declared a guy who ran half as a winner of the full race.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DavePNW

Brew - are you sure it was Napa Valley and not Santa Rosa marathon? I ran Napa Valley and cannot imagine where they would redirect wrong on that course. I know for sure that at Santa Ross they had that kind of incident at least once in 2016.

Ok - now I found the article and yes, looks like it was Santa Rosa - twice. Plus once they declared a guy who ran half as a winner of the full race.

Phew! Napa’s back on my list. What was your opinion of the race?

Dave

CalBears

Phew! Napa’s back on my list. What was your opinion of the race?

It was very warm for the last 8-10 miles of the race. Really warm (that's why I like CIM which is in December and even if there is a sun it is still pretty cool). The course is net downhill but it is really rolling - hard to find a rhythm, but in many places it's quite beautiful. I was really under-trained for that race, don't remember why - I think I tweaked something, then I was sick for some time - so, these things leave a mark somehow on the impression of the marathon you run Smile But organization wise it was great, buses take you from start area to finish and then you run back Smile, do not remember any issues that would allow me to become grumpy Smile. Good food at the finish. Good memories. I would recommend to run it at least once.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

pepperjack

pie man

Should have done Napa this year...Emma Coburn was the guest.  Her instagram is full of wine now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Resident Historian

weatherboy -- Seems that misdirecting runners is contagious in your part of Florida
                  Treasure Coast did it in 2018 and now again: https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8091752

My training is stalled. My achilles tendon just won't heal properly. I've rested it for 2-3 weeks, twice; it just comes back when I start up. Right now I can run ~1 mile before it starts to hurt. 
                  Scan shows no major damage (phew!). Orthopedic doc says "Let's try A-stim/ Graston in PT, If that doesn't work we'll look at PRP." I'm sleeping with a night splint to keep it stretched ou, and now have a heel wedge in my shoes. Hate this stuff!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

weatherboy80

Longboat: that’s horrible!  I am pretty upset about what I went through in my half, but it really wasn’t my A goal and I can presumably run another half soon.  Can’t imagine if trying to qualify for Boston and having to run an extra mile or two 😳  Typically marathons like that can’t just be re-run in a week or two!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Longboat: that’s horrible!  I am pretty upset about what I went through in my half, but it really wasn’t my goal and I can presumably run another half soon.  Can’t imagine if trying to qualify for Boston and having to run an extra mile or two 😳  Typically marathons like that can’t just be re-run in a week or two!

Glass City did that a few years back.

A friend of mine was misdirected at mile 24.  By the time he realized the issue, he would have had to run a 27-28 mile race to finish, so he dropped.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

Wanted to take a sec to brag on Nathan (the hydration company). I got home the other afternoon and my dog had torn up the storage part of my handheld because there were some gu wrappers in there. I emailed Nathan’s customer service just to ask about buying a replacement part instead of a whole new bottle. They replied in less than 24 hours and said, just send us your address and we’ll send you a new one. I was surprised and very thankful. I like their products already, but that’s just an easy way to ensure customer loyalty. Pretty cool. 

as you were.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Awesome. Ultimate direction did something similar for me last year after I broke the cap for a bottle. They sent me a cap and two new style soft flasks. Super personal in the email too.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Santa Rosa. Napa. Kinda the same area. California.

VDOT 53.37 

kramrunner

*** Toledo: Week 15 ***
                              M     02/24       01 00 22       7.07 
                              T      02/25       01 00 49       7.60 
                              W    02/26        00 49 22      5.29 
                              Th    02/27       01 07 12      7.83 
                              F      02/28       01 02 50      7.61  
                              S      02/29       02 08 05    16.08 
                              S      03/01      01 02 22      7.16 
                                                                          ====

Solid week. Lots of soreness, but tending in a good direction. More maintaining than gaining any fitness right now. Hope to stick at similar type of mileage next week and perhaps around here for rest of cycle, with only mileage increases restricted to lengthening LR to 22mi, if possible. Dreaming of doing some hill sprints...

Madison: Done a few ~40 days streaks but never too bothered by it, I just simply find running every day when fit helps keep the tightness at bay. I've seen people at races with strides that look effortless and like something that I would perhaps benefit from, but I've got lots of lower hanging fruit to deal with. Two very solid pieces of quality work. Bet your throat felt good after hard breathing at those temps!

Marky: Solid week. Being able to knock out 60mins at MP is promising.

Weather: That's just rotten luck and real shitty course management by the race organizers. Still, it's a great story and you know you have a legit sub 75 in you... right? Can't have this lying there is 10yrs time as your PR!

Dwave: Shit, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, doing the smart if hard thing, will pay off in the not too distant future.

Cal: Serious week of aerobic work there!

DavePNW: Solid week. I wouldn't stress too much about nailing the work outs. Working up to getting is right over a few weeks as your body adapts is the right way to go about it imho.

Nimmals: Balls to the wall, fair play!

Brew: Saying what I'm thinking regarding this virus!

JT: fair enough on skipping spring. I've signed up so I'm just gonna use all this to try get back in some shape so I can attack the autumn.

The Trials: The trials were a bit mad. What do the locals make of a previous Kenyan Olympian Kipyego now having a place in the US team? Rules are rules, but doesn't sit right with me coming from more of a soccer etc., background, which has gone to shit now too. Seems more & more how things goings, with money being all that matters these days. Abdi is a nice story, but running like that at 43yrs after spending training season in East Africa gives off more than a little whiff...

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

OMR

Dave:  I ran Napa in 2014.  In the midst of a long drought, it rained (not pouring, but gentle showers) on the day of the marathon.  Weather that year was ideal for running fast.  Cal is right about the rolling course, and there are a few spots early on with a fair amount of camber to the road, which I wasn't used to.  Not a big deal, but some runners chose to not run the tangents, perhaps due to the camber.  I loved it, and my wife and I had a wonderful time exploring wine country.  Definitely one I would recommend.  And the only reason for getting off course is to stop at a winery!

Brew:  How did the interview go?

Longboat:  Sorry to hear, hope you get some relief soon.