2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

weatherboy80

That sucks!  I heard New Bedford in MA also cancelled which is a big tune-up for Boston!  Wonder how long the Boston mayor will wait to see how things play out?

NYC Half just got cancelled. Figuring out my options here. But add that to the data points.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone know if paul finished the LA Marathon? WAY too many finishers to pick one and say "yes he finished" and I don't think I have him on the running social medias.

cinnamon girl up this weekend for Barcelona 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

I hope you’re right even though I have no idea what it’s based on. Just keeping my fingers crossed for May 3rd.

Ask and ye shall receive. Just got an email from the Vancouver Marathon stating that it’s still on. Of course no one knows what’ll happen in the meantime, but it’s something. They’re prob like, “we’re Canada, you should be more concerned about bear attacks”.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Ask and ye shall receive. Just got an email from the Vancouver Marathon stating that it’s still on. Of course no one knows what’ll happen in the meantime, but it’s something. They’re prob like, “we’re Canada, you should be more concerned about bear attacks”.

Christchurch Marathon (May 31) published yesterday on Facebook that they're not expecting to be impacted but are just following what the NZ Ministry of Health says.  We've only had a handful of cases locally in NZ so far (it's easier to control your border when the only way in is via plane or cruise ship).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah don't exactly believe stuff this far out. We got an email from NYRR 4 days ago saying the race is still on. I imagine Boston will do the same thing. Nobody is going to cancel weeks out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

Christchurch Marathon (May 31) published yesterday on Facebook that they're not expecting to be impacted but are just following what the NZ Ministry of Health says.  We've only had a handful of cases locally in NZ so far (it's easier to control your border when the only way in is via plane or cruise ship).

I’m surprised Vancouver didn’t say “the race is on, but all you infected bastards from Seattle, stay home”.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

I’m surprised Vancouver didn’t say “the race is on, but all you infected bastards from Seattle, stay home”.

I get the sense that would be very un-Canadian.  They'll likely just berate you for your lack of an NHL team.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Anyone know if paul finished the LA Marathon? WAY too many finishers to pick one and say "yes he finished" and I don't think I have him on the running social medias.

Yes, he finished with time between 3:05 and 3:10

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DavePNW

I get the sense that would be very un-Canadian.  They'll likely just berate you for your lack of an NHL team.

First part is true. On the second part - we’ve got one coming next year!

Dave

Cyberic

Marky_Mark_17

First part is true. On the second part - we’ve got one coming next year!

Well, even in their first season they'll probably be better than my Detroit Red Wings, who I can't label as a dumpster fire because that is unfair to the dumpster fire.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

cinnamon girl up this weekend for Barcelona 

That race was postponed last week and iirc she cancelled her trip anyway and targeting another race.

I still think London Marathon is very doubtful. The UK is currently at the same stage as Italy was 2 weeks ago and looks what’s happened to them. Latest advice from our government is to take 7 days off work, even if it’s just a sniffle or cold symptoms....I’m sure the self employed/gig economy will be doing just that!  Anyway, I’m not taking any chances and have already filled my garage with toilet rolls.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yeah don't exactly believe stuff this far out. We got an email from NYRR 4 days ago saying the race is still on. I imagine Boston will do the same thing. Nobody is going to cancel weeks out.

My guess is NYRR did not choose to cancel; the City of NY told them to.   My hunch is that most race organizations are not going to cancel races until told to by local government, both because they don't want to cancel and because they likely have insurance coverage for if they are forced to cancel, but not if they choose to cancel.

Which goes to JMAC's point that a race can give all sorts of reassurances, and it may not mean anything, since in the end it's not their call.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

Well, even in their first season they'll probably be better than my Detroit Red Wings, who I can't label as a dumpster fire because that is unfair to the dumpster fire.

How did a Kiwi become a Red Wings fan? I lived in Detroit for a long time, but during their glory years, so that’s how I will choose to remember them.

Dave

How did a Kiwi become a Red Wings fan? I lived in Detroit for a long time, but during their glory years, so that’s how I will choose to remember them.

I wondered the same thing! I have fond memories of the Pistons, Tigers and the Red Wings from growing up in Michigan. The Detroit Lions on the other hand.... well, let's just not discuss them.

2:52:16 (2018)