2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Well, even in their first season they'll probably be better than my Detroit Red Wings, who I can't label as a dumpster fire because that is unfair to the dumpster fire.

so true!  Tough to be a WIngs' fan these days.  Lets hope Stevie Y brings better days!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

NYRR claims it was there decision to cancel, but who truly knows. I signed up for a half marathon next weekend in Queens. We'll see if that happens or I just threw $60 down the drain, but dammit I want to race!

I'm trying to figure out my backup plan for Boston as well. I think New Jersey is the best option the following weekend. It's all a guessing game at this point though: are all race directors going to panic and cancel, or is it just these large races that will cancel? From a risk perspective, Boston is probably 100x as risky as New Jersey due to larger entrants, huge crowds, big expos, and people spending days in the city. NJ? Nobody is spending a weekend in NJ and sight seeing in April. All of that being said, there's definitely a herd mentality right now where if some races cancel, potentially all races cancel.

I'll still probably throw $130 at this race and view it as insurance. I don't need to book a hotel and it's about 1.5 hours from NYC, so I can easily drive morning of, i.e. no flight to book.

I think this is all God's way of punishing me for saying I wanted to retire after this spring season.

Oh also - if they cancel Boston, I 100% guarantee the weather on April 20 will be 45 degrees, sunny, and a 10mph tailwind.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I wondered the same thing! I have fond memories of the Pistons, Tigers and the Red Wings from growing up in Michigan. The Detroit Lions on the other hand.... well, let's just not discuss them.

When the team sucks hang on to its consistency. Sanders carried that team year in, year out. I would rock his jersey and say even though were not the best team we have the best player. He stuck around didn't bounce for big contracts. Then again, I remember all of Mannings clutch plays when they won superbowls. The fans screamed bench him in his later years; the replacement showed brilliance just one game.

btw - I still wear my Vanbiesbrouck Rangers and Panther Jerseys. He was my favorite player of all time.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well, even in their first season they'll probably be better than my Detroit Red Wings, who I can't label as a dumpster fire because that is unfair to the dumpster fire.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNND I hate you. Really not sure we can even be online acquaintances at this point.

- Sharks Fan

Darkwave You're probably correct about insurance covering a race that was canceled for conditions beyond their control. I don't understand the City of New York canceling the race when they just announced their new line of hand sanitizers.

Cal Thanks. Guess he did better than "just finish" unless he didn't race the month before.

JMac Boston canceled their St. Patrick's Day Parade. Can you imagine how devastating it would be to cancel the Patriot's Day parade?

As for your weather prediction...hopefully you're accurate AND the race goes on. 10 mph tail wind....so much potential for people to go out way too fast.

*sarcastic rant* They might even have to cancel the baseball games. It would be as epic as SXSW canceling and the amount of Go Fun(d) Mes started for people in the service industry would probably shut down the website. Runners should protest the Boston Parade next year by refusing to sign up. I for one will not stand for this kind of protest or lack of participation due to the flu *end sarcastic rant*

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

NYRR claims it was there decision to cancel, but who truly knows. I signed up for a half marathon next weekend in Queens. We'll see if that happens or I just threw $60 down the drain, but dammit I want to race!

I'm trying to figure out my backup plan for Boston as well. I think New Jersey is the best option the following weekend. It's all a guessing game at this point though: are all race directors going to panic and cancel, or is it just these large races that will cancel? From a risk perspective, Boston is probably 100x as risky as New Jersey due to larger entrants, huge crowds, big expos, and people spending days in the city. NJ? Nobody is spending a weekend in NJ and sight seeing in April. All of that being said, there's definitely a herd mentality right now where if some races cancel, potentially all races cancel.

My daughter has a band performance at her school approximately once a month - she said, usually it's so crowded that many people cannot find a place/seat to watch. Yesterday more than half seats were empty - people are scared or just don't wanna play the odds. I am not sure about Boston, but I would expect the same level of worried-ness and would not expect as big crowds as usual. Plus, I would also expect less runners coming to Boston too, maybe not considerably less, but still.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNND I hate you. Really not sure we can even be online acquaintances at this point.

- Sharks Fan

Thought you were going to say "Avalanche fan."   That, was a crazy rivalry at its peak!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thought you were going to say "Avalanche fan."   That, was a crazy rivalry at its peak!

Avalanche? PFFFF....They can keep pretty boy Tay Moo Salami. My step-father-in-law likes to ask how the Sharks are doing and say "lets watch the Avalanche." I tell him we don't get that channel mostly because I hate the man and try to make him as uncomfortable in my house as possible.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

When the team sucks hang on to its consistency. Sanders carried that team year in, year out. I would rock his jersey and say even though were not the best team we have the best player. He stuck around didn't bounce for big contracts. Then again, I remember all of Mannings clutch plays when they won superbowls. The fans screamed bench him in his later years; the replacement showed brilliance just one game.

btw - I still wear my Vanbiesbrouck Rangers and Panther Jerseys. He was my favorite player of all time.

Barry Sanders was a class act. Some of the runs he had were incredible to watch; he'd have 2 or 3 guys hanging on to him and still barrel forward. Very humble guy as well. He definitely made the games worth watching, even if the end result was a loss.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Barry Sanders was a class act.

For some reason I read this as Bernie Sanders, and was thinking wow, JT didn't seem like the type of guy to start politics on this thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Barry Sanders was a class act. Some of the runs he had were incredible to watch; he'd have 2 or 3 guys hanging on to him and still barrel forward. Very humble guy as well. He definitely made the games worth watching, even if the end result was a loss.

he was the only reason to root for the Lions.  Since he retired, there has been no reason...

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JT - Well said he was.

JMAC - Speaking of politics   I signed up today for the QDR half. I have a few friends running it. Downhill guy and the spanish guy you broke in the Suffolk half . I loaned him my shoes last night he threw down a 6:36 2k I've been coaching him now and when he is healthy he will be decent. I sold him a New pairs of 10.5  vaporflys I had hanging around from last year when I was unsure of my size 10.5 vs 11.

I was originally gonna to give them to Mikkey but he told me to sod off.  The poor kids spends 3 days in the hospital every month from GI issues. That's why he faded in Suffolk.  So if you're up for a race join us. I plan to have a blast there and I think that QDR and NYC Runs are the political foes of NYRR. A  lot of them broke out because NYRR races were becoming too costly and were closing out lots of slower runners. Its funny how high these races now cost but they tend to be smaller in a closed setting and have less runners, less overhead. They're awarding $$$ this year so get your refund come join the fun for $60 + ($4.85 processing fees)

Hoping it stays small doesn't get cancelled.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey Nimmals I just signed up for it last night after I got the NYC Half cancellation! So I guess I'll see you there, assuming it still goes on. If all of these folks are showing up, that sounds awesome, seems like there will be a good contingent of guys running in the 1:12-1:17 range, which I'm really looking forward to. They sent out a note on social media saying they were seeing a spike in registration around 5:30 last night, which makes complete sense given I'm sure there were a ton of people like me scrambling to find races in the area to do.

At least with you running, I know there will be someone faster than me that I can chase . I was checking out some other half marathons within a few hour drive and the winners were at like 1:24, there is no way I would perform well in a race like that.

DavePNW

When the team sucks hang on to its consistency. Sanders carried that team year in, year out. I would rock his jersey and say even though were not the best team we have the best player. He stuck around didn't bounce for big contracts.

This was me growing up a Bears fan in the ‘70s-‘80s before the Super Bowl Shuffle days, and Walter Payton. I worshipped him, as did every other Chicago sports fan. The only reason to watch them, and the only reason the national media ever talked about them (in the time before ESPN and fantasy football and everyone talking about everyone 24/7). He finally got to the Super Bowl near the end of his career; and famously was never given the chance to score a TD. Ditka regrets it to this day, he says he just didn’t think about it. I am biased but still consider him the greatest all-around back in history. And talk about a class act - the NFL named the award after him. I remember the day he died, of a rare liver disease at age 45 - I actually cried a little bit, the only celebrity death that ever made me do that. I’m getting misty just thinking about it right now.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

This was me growing up a Bears fan in the ‘70s-‘80s before the Super Bowl Shuffle days, and Walter Payton. I worshipped him, as did every other Chicago sports fan. The only reason to watch them, and the only reason the national media ever talked about them (in the time before ESPN and fantasy football and everyone talking about everyone 24/7). He finally got to the Super Bowl near the end of his career; and famously was never given the chance to score a TD. Ditka regrets it to this day, he says he just didn’t think about it. I am biased but still consider him the greatest all-around back in history. And talk about a class act - the NFL named the award after him. I remember the day he died, of a rare liver disease at age 45 - I actually cried a little bit, the only celebrity death that ever made me do that. I’m getting misty just thinking about it right now.

What do you do when you have the greatest running back in the league and you're on the 1 yard line?

"throw the ball."

- Pete Carrol

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

What do you do when you have the greatest running back in the league and you're on the 1 yard line?

"throw the ball."

- Pete Carrol

LOL people are pretty touchy about that around these parts. Ditka of course opted to hand off to his 300 lb lineman, The Fridge.

Dave