Run 5 or 6 Days Per Week?? (Read 1588 times)

SR1947

My last marathon was done on training 5 days a week. Will there be a benefit to adding a 6th day of training or should I stick to 5 since that worked pretty well the last time?
    mikeymike

I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your goals are. The best people in our sport are running 7 days with 13 or more runs per week. So if you want to get faster there are certainly benefits to running more.

Runners run

SR1947

I would like to drop about 5-8 minutes off my time....I live in the mountains so my routes are already rolling...The marathon is going to be flat so I will do long runs of 12+ on the greenway where it is flat....I thought of incorporating some speedwork (1-2 mile intervals) and fartlek runs, along with the progressive runs I already do...
        Slo

I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your goals are. .
          Ditto on the goals. Adding more days / runs is going to be beneficial providing it doesn't cost you your job, your marriage, your 6:30 am Tee time...... Wink Seriously, more runs is good.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Like others said - depends on your goals. A friend of mine who coaches told me that making the jump from 5 to 6x per week is one of the bigger payoffs that you can make. Seven is better, but the returns are somewhat diminished. Personally, experiment of one, I just made the transition to 6 (7 when I can) and the payoff has been amazing.
            bap

5 And x-train on one of the others.

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Right now I run 6 and bike the other day. Sometimes I bike on other days too. I seem to be progressing nicely.

A Saucy Wench

What I found when I went from 5 - 6 is that you have to be more disciplined in making at least one of them a TRUE recovery run and slow way down. But yeah, I like 6 and am moving to 7. That way even when my family attacks I should get at least 5.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

bap

Why don't you post something about your experience as a runner and the type of training you did for your previous marathon? If you ran 5:30 it would be easier to improve by 5-8 minutes than it would be if you ran 2:30. If you have been running for 20 years, 6 days a week shouldn't be a problem. If you've been running for 9 months, it may be too much. If you didn't do any speed work last time, that alone will help.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

SR1947

First marathon was 3:53 using a plan from the old Cool Running site. Peaked around 40-some mpw with six days a week running and with a little interval training....Lat marathon was 3:49 on no speedwork just upped mileage to a peak of 50-55 mpw running 5 days per week....
                        I speculate you would get significant benefits from maintaining your 5 day/week 50+ mile schedule to include the addition of a 4-7 mile tempo/lactate threshhold run per week with a warm-up and cool-down. If you add a 6th day, I'd make it a slow recovery type run. I'd also suggest going to http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm and plugging in your latest race time to give yourself a better idea about your training paces. Just one man's humble opinion.

RobW

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by ever greater things." ~ R. Rilke

Man in Tights

Right now I run 6 and bike the other day. Sometimes I bike on other days too. I seem to be progressing nicely.
                          I bought a bike last saturdya and have started cycling between runs. After two days of running and a long ride yesterday I found running this morning a grind. My legs were like lead. Old age I guess. But unless you aiming fro a sub 3 hr maratyhon 5 days a week should be enough if you getting some good mileage in.
                          T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your goals are. The best people in our sport are running 7 days with 13 or more runs per week. So if you want to get faster there are certainly benefits to running more.
                            Hey Mikey - I'm sort of new to this and I don't want to hijack this thread - but....

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

mikeymike

But what?

Runners run

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I''m new to RA. What are you doing up so late? I ran Boston and looked at your running log often to see what you were doing. You and I are almost the same (i guess not since you beat me several minutes). (We seem to be in the same place in life with several small kids). If your evr in Spokane, I'd love to toss a few back with ya... Best of luck with your training! mta - I apologize for the spelling errors Bombay Saphire's fault.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'