Run 5 or 6 Days Per Week?? (Read 1588 times)

xor

I''m new to RA. What are you doing up so late? .
    Did you see Superman Returns? Mikey's kind of like the updated version of Superman. He hangs out up in the stratosphere semi-lucid while monitoring the airwaves et al for signs of trouble. When he hears something, he responds.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I''m new to RA. What are you doing up so late? I ran Boston and looked at your running log often to see what you were doing. You and I are almost the same (i guess not since you beat me several minutes). (We seem to be in the same place in life with several small kids). If your evr in Spokane, I'd love to toss a few back with ya... Best of luck with your training! mta - I apologize for the spelling errors Bombay Saphire's fault.
      What are YOU doing up so late? See you are from Spokane. My mother was born there and I still have lots of family there.
      March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

SMART Approach

My last marathon was done on training 5 days a week. Will there be a benefit to adding a 6th day of training or should I stick to 5 since that worked pretty well the last time?
        Adding a 6th comfortable day of running is recommended and will have benefits and make you stronger. Also, another important thing to do (other than increasing your total miles) to enhance your marathon time is to focus on incorporating two big work outs a week - these are two semi long runs with quality within them or one session and then adding some moderate quality within your long run. One day could be adding 10 -15K paced reps, another day some sustained faster running like at marathon pace with striders at end of these work outs. This will enhance your results (on the same miles per week) for a marathon. It certainly will enhance half marathon training times also. It has worked for me on my low miles and also on the runners I coach. The results are quite strong. Push the pace two times per week without hammering and all other days are pretty comfortable running. http://www.therunzone.com/ntrz/?page_id=65

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

I''m new to RA. What are you doing up so late? I ran Boston and looked at your running log often to see what you were doing. You and I are almost the same (i guess not since you beat me several minutes). (We seem to be in the same place in life with several small kids). If your evr in Spokane, I'd love to toss a few back with ya... Best of luck with your training!
          Oh I was just getting home from a road race planning meeting that mostly consisted of a few guys drinking much beer, watching the Bruins game and discussing ways to incorporate a beer mile into this year's event without losing our permit for next year. I couldn't just walk by the computer without taking a hit off the old RA crack pipe. Interesting we finished so close to each other at Boston. Were you part of that big crowd of guys who had to wait shivering and cramping so long while the people inside the 1500's baggage bus got their act together? That was fun. I don't get to the Northwest very often these days but if I do I'm always up for a run and a few beers.

Runners run

It all depends of what you do in you 6 days. Personally, I've gone from 5 days to 3 days and since, I am running my the fastest HM and marathon times. I'm following the FIRST plan. That plan focuses on quality over quantity. I try to do an interval run, a tempo run and a long run each week. Also, most importantly, I usually do 3-5 hours of non-impact aerobic cross-training a week. Mainly cycling and swimming. I used to get injured regularly and haven't gotten an injury since I started that that approach about a year and a half ago. What's interesting is that when I was running 5 times a week and increasing my mileage, I would usually be taxing my legs and trying not to get injured because they didn't have time to recover. Now, I feel I work harder on the 3 runs but I can rest my legs a rest day between workouts yet still can go hard on the cardio swimming, cycling or both.The limiting factor for my training now is more often my cardio (I feel drained at the end of a hard week) than my legs being sore. I know this is a sensitive topic because coaches have repeated the sacred rule that the more you run the faster you'll run. This has worked for athletes that are blessed with the biomechanics to withstand 100+ miles a week and can still include some high quality workouts in. But there currently is a quality over quantity trend. And for those that tend to get injured after the hit a certain number of miles per week I find that this approach makes wonders.
            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your goals are. The best people in our sport are running 7 days with 13 or more runs per week. So if you want to get faster there are certainly benefits to running more.
              How do you prevent injuries running 7 days a week? I did not notice any x-training in your log.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

I keep easy days easy.

Runners run

SMART Approach

If one is running with proper shoes and has a reasonable gait and is smart about consistent build up, running 7 days per week will make you stronger and less likely to get injured. IF AND ONLY IF you as Mikey says, you keep your easy days very comfortable. Work it once or twice per week and the rest of days should be miles of comfortable/semi comfortable. Injuries happen but in many cases it is because runners are building miles too fast or adding intensity while adding miles and just plain not being smart about there training. Our mentality is we need to run harder and faster to get faster. It is false logic. A nice analogy is a power lifter or competitive body builder who may work one muscle group hard once or twice per week and the remainder of days these muscle groups are recovering and getting stronger. Anything more than one or two hard work outs per week is counterproductive in my opinion for 98% of the runners out there. The exception to the above analogy is that runners can get stronger and faster without ever doing a "HARD" work out. If you go out there and run comfortable and build on comfortable miles, you get faster, you get stronger. Beautiful isn't it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks. Just needed a reminder. After running for over 20 years the brain sometimes freezes up.Shocked

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

How do you prevent injuries running 7 days a week? I did not notice any x-training in your log.
                      Clay: You're kidding, or being sarcastic, right? It is not the distance (or frequency of the run) that stops you; but the speed. If you run too fast, as Mikey pointed out, or you don't take adequate "recovery"--not so much necessarily "not running"--, then you'll pay for it later. Some elite runners EASILY run 3-times-a-day for a periiod of weeks or months sometimes. But they don't run them all hard. I think people today think too much--they know all the terminology; they know about "Hard-Easy", "LT", "Recovery", "Lactic Acid"...etc. They seem to have become too head-heavy. I started running when I was 13. We didn't have much to know what's going on. By the time I was 15, I was pretty much running 7-days-a-week and didn't have any problem. I may have had some issues but I didn't really get freaked out and ask about it to a bunch of total strangers on-line. I just kept on running. That didn't seem to have hurt me none.
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks. Just needed a reminder. After running for over 20 years the brain sometimes freezes up.Shocked
                        Nobby 415 I guess you missed this post.Smile

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

bap

I seem to perform better on lower mileage with more speed work but after 4 years I still consider myself an inexperienced runner.

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm kind of a low mileage runner... Wink ... but I've found that my body LIKES a short run every day much more than it likes a moderate-length one several times a week. Wish I'd discovered that a few years ago... And almost every run is "easy" for me. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

mikegxf

you would get significant benefits from maintaining your 5 day/week . Home GYM equipment is a great way for you to stay in shape, stay healthy and keep and build muscle tone. There are many home gym equipment reviews online that tout the benefits of the home gym. You can exercise at home in relative ease. The equipment allows you to work muscles productively that you normally would have trouble exercising and the equipment is usually more effective in helping you exercise. It helps you to maintain proper posture and follow through in the correct motions.

Right on Hereford...

But there currently is a quality over quantity trend.
                                Interesting that you should say this. Maybe among a certain portion of recreational runners there is currently a quality over quantity trend. But among elite American runners, they've already been there, done that. And coincidentally, the quality over quantity trend at the elite level seemed to line up surprisingly well with the decline of American runners' competitiveness on the world scene. In the last few years, the top American runners are focusing on quantity again (not to the exclusion of quality, mind you), and guess what? We've got guys placing in the top 10 in major marathons again.