Racing all 50 states! (Read 812 times)

A thought poped in my head the other day. how cool would it be to run a race in all 50 states! i love traveling and it would be a perfect exuse to go places i otherwise havent. Plus it would be a cool acheivment. Has anyone here actualy done this? Or planning on doing this? I have two states down, Connecticut and Texas.. 48 to go!
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
      Cool idea. I would be easier than marathons in all 50 states, because you can easily fit in a 5k and still have a normal sort of vacation (and a happy spouse), and you can always find a race close. 2 states for me as well, Oklahoma and Nebraska.
      Jill_B

I fly.

Great goal! Good luck with it! (I've run at least one in New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Mass., Tennessee, Florida and Alabama - I'm on my way!)

Bring it on.

I have, since last October, ran a marathon or ultra in the following states and DC: Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Louisianna, Texas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, California, and Vermont. I suppose I could register for the 50 states and DC club but will wait for a few more states. I will knock out Ohio, and Illinois by years end and maybe New Mexico. I have ran races in Arizona, New Mexico, North Carolina, and South Carolina as well. Those races were just not marathons. It is an awesome way to see places and travel. I usually plan vacations around my races. The trade off I have with my wife is that I don't run so hard and fast that I am useless to her and the kids. Boomer

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Found a neat little map-making tool on the 2nd website above. It allows you to create a .GIF file with a map of the US, and each state shaded in one of up to six colors. You can use this to show which states you've run, which you haven't, which ones you've scheduled, etc. Decide the color meanings for yourself. Once you have the .GIF, post it on your blog, on facebook, your bulletin board at work - wherever you want. Here's the link... http://monarch.tamu.edu/~maps2/us.htm MTA: Get the link working

Imminent Catastrophe

As an aside, what is the difference between the 50 states/50+DC clubs? I know some people are in both. Is one better? I'm at 19 and hope to be at 22 by October. I'll probably join one of them when I hit the halfway point.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

As an aside, what is the difference between the 50 states/50+DC clubs? I know some people are in both. Is one better? I'm at 19 and hope to be at 22 by October. I'll probably join one of them when I hit the halfway point.
                One requires a minimum of 10 states to get into, the other requires a minimum of 20 states (or DC) to get into. One requires that you run a marathon in all 50 states, but races that both start and finish in DC don't count. The other requires that you run a marathon in all 50 states plus one in DC. Both require that you use the start or finish line as the location, and don't count middle miles. Both offer travel discounts and deals and make it easy to plan multi-state weekends or trips, as well as finding folks to room with for races. In fact, that's the whole (well, the main) reason they exist. I just haven't gotten around to joining yet. Sooner or later.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Found a neat little map-making tool on the 2nd website above. It allows you to create a .GIF file with a map of the US, and each state shaded in one of up to six colors. You can use this to show which states you've run, which you haven't, which ones you've scheduled, etc. Decide the color meanings for yourself. Once you have the .GIF, post it on your blog, on facebook, your bulletin board at work - wherever you want. Here's the link... http://monarch.tamu.edu/~maps2/us.htm MTA: Get the link working
                  Great tool! http://monarch.tamu.edu/~smrs/13463536.gif

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

xor

Many of us 50 staters are in both; the clubs are very different. Well, actually, the naming is important to some... see, there's the "group" and then there's the "club". The Group: this is the 50+DC one. This is the original. You pay once, then never again. The group is very low key. I get a birthday card from them every year. To finish, you have to run all 50 states AND DC (Marine Corps or the National Marathon count... though Marine Corps technically should not because it begins/ends in Virigina). The Club: this is the one that is adamant that "DC is not a state". You pay annual dues of 10 bucks. They are VERY active... quarterly reunions, everybody knows everybody, more traffic on the website. The rules regarding "what counts" are subtly different between the two orgs, but not that much. Behind the scenes, the Group was the original. The Club was formed when a few members of the Group revolted (or got kicked, depending on what version of the story you hear Smile ). ANYWAY, the vibes of the two orgs are very different. I totally prefer The Club. Incidentally, there's a sub-group of The Group: the half-in-half club. Run a half in 25 states.

JakeKnight

Found a neat little map-making tool on the 2nd website above.
                      Oooh. Cool!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Many of us 50 staters are in both; the clubs are very different. Well, actually, the naming is important to some... see, there's the "group" and then there's the "club". The Group: this is the 50+DC one. This is the original. You pay once, then never again. The group is very low key. I get a birthday card from them every year. To finish, you have to run all 50 states AND DC (Marine Corps or the National Marathon count... though Marine Corps technically should not because it begins/ends in Virigina). The Club: this is the one that is adamant that "DC is not a state". You pay annual dues of 10 bucks. They are VERY active... quarterly reunions, everybody knows everybody, more traffic on the website. The rules regarding "what counts" are subtly different between the two orgs, but not that much. Behind the scenes, the Group was the original. The Club was formed when a few members of the Group revolted (or got kicked, depending on what version of the story you hear Smile ). ANYWAY, the vibes of the two orgs are very different. I totally prefer The Club. Incidentally, there's a sub-group of The Group: the half-in-half club. Run a half in 25 states.
                        wow - this is confusing stuff - will there be a test on this later?
                        MM# 1477
                        xor

If you think that's confusing, ask someone in one of these clubs what does/doesn't count as an official race. Sigh. As for tests, yes. It will be in different parts like the CPA exam.

#artbydmcbride

Arc in the house!!! Big grin /counting...........hey I've got 7! Calif., Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Tennessee, Mass., and New York!

Runners run

If you think that's confusing, ask someone in one of these clubs what does/doesn't count as an official race. Sigh. As for tests, yes. It will be in different parts like the CPA exam.
                              perfect - after a 3 month intensive review course I should have a shot at passing...
                              MM# 1477