Anybody use Road ID "dog tags"? (Read 1934 times)

I'm preparing for my first marathon attempt in early November, and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to be wearing ID other than my number. I'm leaning toward the "dog tag" style Road ID, because I figure it would be easy to move it to my toe before putting me in the body bag. ; ) Do you find it irritating to have the ID flopping around as you run, or do you forget you're wearing it? Pros and cons to the other styles? (wristband, ankleband, shoe)

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mbk

I use the shoe version and it works well. It has velcro fasteners so I can move it from shoe to shoe. I can't imagine wearing a dog tag for 26.2 miles!
        I have the dog tag style, but I usually just put in in the pocket of whatever running shorts/skirt I am wearing or in the pocket on my fuel belt. I wore it around my neck for awhile and it does flop around a lot, plus I added a whistle to the chain, which pretty much ruled out wearing it around the neck for running since it was too heavy and bulky. I got the dog tag style so I could wear it around my neck while biking too, and there are no issues with that.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the shoe model. I rotate between 2-3 pair of shoe, so it's perfect. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Burninated Peasant

I've got the shoe version also. It's very lightweight and I've never noticed that it's there while running.
            va

I use Microsoft Word to print out my info on plain paper, including emergency contact, and tape it to the back of my remote entry car key and iPod. This way if I misplace my keys or iPod during a run, it would be possible for them to be returned, as well as the normal purpose of providing contact info if I pass out during a run. Btw, what marathon are you running?
              Scout7

Depending on what you're wearing they won't flop around too much. Having worn them all the time, you just sorta stop noticing them. I don't have the Road ID ones. Do they come with a chain? I always found that the chain will grab the little hairs on the back of my neck, and links would break at inconvenient times, so I ended up making a loop with cord and melting the ends together.
                  I wear the wristband style.

Michelle

Btw, what marathon are you running?
                    I've registered for the inaugural Manchester City Marathon in New Hampshire. My kids live in Manchester with my ex, so it can be an "All In (what's left of) the Family" kinda thing. Sunday November 4th is the big day. I run the Good Times 5K series on Tuesday nights in Lowell MA, and I recently noticed "25 miles" painted on the street. I didn't realize Lowell hosts the Bay State Marathon, if I survive my first maybe I'll do the Bay State next year. Thanks to all for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Do they come with a chain? I always found that the chain will grab the little hairs on the back of my neck, and links would break at inconvenient times, so I ended up making a loop with cord and melting the ends together.
                      It does come with a chain, it's like the pull chains for light fixtures or ceiling fans. This is from roadid.com: The Stainless Steel chain is a 27" ball chain. It can be easily shortened to any length below 27" with a pair of wire snips or a sturdy pair of scissors. To avoid choking hazards, the chain is designed to break under 20 lbs. of pressure.

E.J.

Scout7

It does come with a chain, it's like the pull chains for light fixtures or ceiling fans. This is from roadid.com: The Stainless Steel chain is a 27" ball chain. It can be easily shortened to any length below 27" with a pair of wire snips or a sturdy pair of scissors. To avoid choking hazards, the chain is designed to break under 20 lbs. of pressure.
                        Yeah, exactly what I thought. Trust me, the little balls will snag hairs. And it's annoying.
                          How about getting a tattoo or brand? Wink

Vim

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Trust me, the little balls will snag hairs. And it's annoying.
                            Okay, that is BY FAR one of the funniest things I have ever read! Hilarious! Thanks for the giggle. Jilly
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                              Okay, that is BY FAR one of the funniest things I have ever read! Hilarious! Thanks for the giggle. Jilly
                              I wondered if anyone would comment on that!! Big grin

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*titters* Scout has little balls... *guffaw* k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay