Stories from your childhood Cross-Country or Track Days (Read 654 times)

Bugs

Our family was not very well off and it was really a luxury that I was allowed to be in track. We were having a meet, and I ran the 800m. I was only average, but I was the first to return from the three mile training runs so the coach assumed I was more the longest distance type. (We had a kickin miler.) I was at a meet, and ran up to say hi to Mom. She was frantic about Dad needing the car for a meeting and needing to leave, but the 800m event was always last. I wanted to run, but I knew Dad was hard core and this was in a day you don't talk back to your parents. We had a sub-coach, and went and told him my Mom said I had to leave. He said fine. The next day in practice I got in big trouble from the coach for missing my event. I should have just ran the 5 miles home, although that would have gave my Mother a nervous breakdown. Probably would have made me a better 800m runner though. Smile Sure is nice to be an adult with my own car for my races today. Anybody else have a story to share?

Bugs

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Bugs, that's kind of a sad story Sad. I hope you got other opportunities to compete without events conspiring against you. As for my own stories, I was a non-athlete in school, so strictly nothing to tell! Smile . My brother was the star athlete of the family, I tried to distinguish myself with theatre and music. "The hills are alive with the sound of...... Surprised" (that's an opera singer smiley)

Bugs

Bugs, that's kind of a sad story Sad. I hope you got other opportunities to compete without events conspiring against you.
        It was just a weekday meet, much worse to train for a marathon for six months and have to miss it because of injury. I am actually proud that my first priority was to obey parents. Today it is different families have multiple cars, kids have cell phones, kiddie cab. I often think, "Kids have no idea how just being in sports, no matter what the results are, what a blessing that is." My parents probably thought the same, and my eyes would gloss over. Wink I did a funny the first day of practice. I was shy and only brought jogging pants. When we went to run everybody tore off their warm-up pants and said to me, "aren't you going to run in shorts." I had no shorts on or with so pretended that I preferred to run in jogging pants. Sad That was a hot run.
        As for my own stories, I was a non-athlete in school, so strictly nothing to tell! Smile . My brother was the star athlete of the family, I tried to distinguish myself with theatre and music. "The hills are alive with the sound of...... Surprised" (that's an opera singer smiley)
        Good for you! I sing like a frog. Is your brother still an athlete?

Bugs

I was a sprinter and a triple jumper in school. One day during practice my coach was trying to get me to lean forward more while I ran, so I was running down the track trying to lean forward, and I got to going so fast and leaning too far forward that I ran right into the ground. I have never felt comfortable sprinting since because I've never gotten over that fear of tripping and falling down.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I started CC in 7th grade after a disasterous game on the basketball team (long story). I loved it though I wasn't very good and my asthma was horrible that first day (also known as the day I found out I had asthma!). I had a horrible attack in the middle of our 5 mile training run and the coach had to carry me back through the trail. I came back about a week later and he said I had to use my inhaler if I wanted to run b/c he's too old to carry me back again! LOL By 8th grade I was one of the fastest girls. My favorite event was high jumping. I would love to find an adult track team so I could high jump again. I also did hurdles and long jump for outdoor. Me and my track team ran the boston marathon in 95 (my graduating year). It was an awesome experience with the team. My parents weren't into the whole role models care about what your kids do thing so in 6 years of running my parents had never seen me run a single race, jump a single bar. Not even when my team went to nationals in New Hampshire and I placed 3rd overall. Not even each year when I went to All State and placed within the top 5 each year. when I ran my first 5K last year I made DH promise he would be there for me for every single race b/c he's my team now and I need my team with me. sorry to be a downer.
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
            mikeymike

This one time at track practice the weight men had as their workout to run to a local ice cream stand and back--about a mile each way. They were allowed to get an ice cream if they wanted, as long as they ran back. Their coach waited in his car on the way back to note which ones were walking. When they got back he lined them up and made them run around the track until they puked, shouting and publicly humiliating them the whole way. As a middle distance guy I was sort of happy to see them feeling some semblance of what we felt during our multiple gut-wrenching workouts per week, but I couldn't help but feel like the whole thing was a trap and not really fair. For his part, the weight men's captain took all the blame and he ran longer and harder than anybody...I don't think he ever puked and eventually the coach had to make him stop.

Runners run

I was the #3 runner on my high school cross-country team - The #1 and #2 guys both qualified for States, so they were definitely a notch above me. There were a few times I beat all of the guys from the other schools, but still always came in third. At one meet, the other schools were so bad that the three of us were able to ease up and tie for first. If you've run cross-country, you know they often pass out Popsicle sticks with your place on them. Since we all tied for first, we had to decide what order to put it in the local paper. Someone held the sticks number-side down and they let me choose first. I picked #3.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Mishka-old log

My best memories are of my brother's antics in cross country. He was a natural 200/400 meter runner. When it came to cross country, he just played the clown. The highlights: He always sported a mullet during cross country season. That, combined with his 6', 180 lb. frame, made him the sore thumb in 200 person fields of skinny twiggy dudes. His trademark style of racing was jog 3 miles then pull the grunt-and-kick over the last 0.1. There's plenty of flim evidence of him scaring the bejezzus out of any runner within earshot. There was one meet where he dug a broken pair of football shoulder pads out of the dumpster before boarded the bus to head to the meet. He did his warmup wearing the shoulder pads. That same meet, there was a circle of girls from another school dancing in the parking lot to their favorite R&B tunes. He couldn't resist that and joined in with the goofiest white-boy boogie imaginable. The girls loved it and it's still one of the strangest and funniest memories from back then. The one that takes the cake was from a dual meet against the best team in the league. The eventual top 3 finishers in the league that year were in the field. My bro goes out like a banshee and leads the field by 20-30 meters by the 200 meter mark. He screams through a downhill and makes a sharp right, out of sight. I didn't see him until a quarter mile in, and he's laying on the ground, groaning and clutching his head. I see him again, around the mile mark with another teammate kneeling over him, holding what appears to be a pair of vice grips over his forehead. It wasn't until after the race that I found out what happened. After his idiot start, he was looking behind him to see how far back the field was. When he turned around, he had veered slightly off the trail and ran into some brush. He ran a little ways before realizing one of the smaller twigs had become lodged in his forehead. It was at that point, he fell to the ground, exhausted and tried unsuccessfully to dig the stick out. The vice grips later didn't do the job either and took a trip to the emergency room to get it dug out, and have his head sewn up with one stich.
                    I ran 1/4 mile and did triple jump on my high school track team. I was not serious about track --- I was not good, and I did it mostly to stay in shape for swimming, which I was better at. One day I overheard a friend of mine --- kind of a heavy kid who was even worse than me at running and unlike me didn't have another sport that he did well at --- talking to the one really talented guy on our team about how he wished he has faster. The star athelete of our team, a kid with every reason in that situation to be arrogant and rude (this was high school, after all), told him that he could be faster, and that if he really wanted it he should just keep running. When my friend objected that the other guy's body was "made for running," the faster guy just responded "so is yours." Don't know why, but that really struck me at the time as really pretty decent.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Good idea for a Thread Bugs. When my 800 m running partner suggested that my nickname should not be Amos but rather Anus I objected and said that I would rather be called Penis. And so, no pun intended, the name Penis stuck. "Go, Penis" "Faster, Penis" "Looking Good, Penis" Blush
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                        In HS, I decided to turn out for track as a thrower (Shot and discus). Our coach set up a race at the end of each track meet called the "fat mans relay". This was basically a 4x100 relay pitting a team of our throwers against a team of throwers from the other school. We were undefeated for three years. The only close race was when the other team tried to sand bag us by sneaking in a couple of pole vaulters. Didn't do them any good, we one anyway! ETA: oh yeah, I forgot that I broke the head track coach wife's (GF at the time) ankle with an errant discus throw.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

1) Track season in Mississippi is also when it begins to really warm up. Most memories revolve around laying down on a blanket spread across the grass pretending to work on my tan b/w races...when I was really just watching all the track girls working on their tans. 2) Breaking 5:00/mile in 10th grade 3) Running anything and everything just to get points for the team cause "I could handle it"...I even pole vaulted one meet and high-jump once b/c the elite jumpers didn't show and I was the only one to clear the opening height. 4) Running the 2 mile and then turning right around and running the anchor on the mile relay every Saturday ...Gutcheck it was. 5) Being invited to MS Indoor meet in the winter and getting the opportunity to race George Kersh (He barely missed the Olympics twice in the 800)...actually thinking I would be able to run with him for a bit. He was incredible...The closest I got to him was the starting line. 6) Cross-Country - I got to miss football practice one day week and not get in trouble for it.
                          2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Bugs

Here is a story from my DH. They never ran. They ran down to the Dairy Queen got ice cream and came back. They were not very good. So now that he is all grown up what does he do? He runs in his slippers and pajama pants and drinks beer as a recovery drink. This is not a training approach I recommend.

Bugs

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I've blocked most of high school out, so about my only memory of track (besides hating it) is this: After my event (the mile), a herd of girls from my class came up to me and told me that "Kim" needed to see me in the locker room. I went in, and Kim and about five or six of her friends were standing around. She turned bright red, and told me she had peed in her shorts, and asked to borrow mine. I lent her the shorts, and told no one about this story, until now.
                              Mishka-old log

He runs in his slippers and pajama pants and drinks beer as a recovery drink.
                                Seriously? He is awesome!