Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Ran my longest run ever today. Probably foolish but I was running angry after being so far from 20 Friday. Mile splits 8:55, 8:50, 8:37, 8:40, 8:35 8:48, 8:42, 8:46, 8:42, 8:33 8:38, 8:25, 8:12 13 miles in 1:52:22 half marathon distance in 1:53:12 YAY!
      Way to go Michigan, I'm surprised that this is the farthest you've ever run, especially considering your overall mileage last few months. I think you would do well to include a 12-miler to your program almost every week. It's even ok to do the day after a Saturday 5k, although I would advise against doing it the day before. This could easily be the missing piece in your program. I know it doesn't seem logical, considering that it's 4 times a long as your race distance, but I find that these long ones pay off big time, even in the shorter races. You don't necessarily have to increase total mileage, either. You current mileage can support a 12 (30-33% of weekly total). I've been following your persuit of the sub-20 for some time now and feel that there is also a pyschological barrier for you. Not only will a long run provide some concrete physical benefit, but I find that it also gives us a psychological boost as well. You think so much about your splits when you are racing that I believe that when the first mile sounds a bit fast, you just assume that you are going to slow down....and you do. What happens when your aerobic foundation is solid is that even when the first mile feels a bit hard you can keep it up for miles 2 and 3. In some cases you can even pick up the pace. This was one of the biggest changes I noticed as I got more and more aerobically fit. Where as before I just knew I'd slow down when the first mile felt hard, it stopped happening. After a while your mindset starts to change. Instead of panicking when the early part of a race feels somewhat hard you start thinking "I'll feel better after another mile". Instead of thinking "oh, that was too fast...I'd better slow down" when the first split is quicker than expected, you think "this is my day". Don't expect an instant miracle, but it's possible you could see a noticeable difference after as few as 3 or 4 of these long ones. One last thing too...I'd lay off those frequent time trials and save it for the races. You race often enough that you don't need them. All they do is make withdrawals on your aerobic base. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading about that first sub-20. I know you can do it.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Nice run MichiganFlyer. Was it an organized half marathon? When I added a "long" run (12 to 18 miles) I made a big jump - from mid 21 5K's to lower 20's.
          Nice run MichiganFlyer. Was it an organized half marathon? When I added a "long" run (12 to 18 miles) I made a big jump - from mid 21 5K's to lower 20's.
          No I just ran by myself. I have run a 12 mile training run before but just once. I am already in the mid 20s so I am going the extra mile to get that sub 20. Here is my race report from Friday http://runningahead.com/forums/post/dc4ee1f8dc544a96a9f86f63f0239e53#focus
          JimR

Woot! Big grin Ran a 19:50 in my 5k today. I knew it was going to be my last chance for many months so I just went out and started strong and hoped I didn't blow up. Splits by my watch were 6:23, 6:24, 6:29, 0:32. I got shorted a couple seconds in the official time cause I sprinted over the first timing mat at the finish and was slowing up by the time I hit the second. Biggest difference this race compared to the last one 3 weeks ago (20:42) was new shoes that are 4 ounces lighter. Plus the weather was a little nicer and my training has been picking up with my marathon closing in. After the race I finished my long run by doing another 16 miles and then jumped in an ice bath cause my average pace today was faster then my last marathon pace Shocked Edit: Both this race and the last 5k were certified. I ran a 21:24 on this same course last year.
            Great stuff! Congrats! I've hit most of my PR's during marathon training. It's not just he mileage but the fact I have to push it as well during that training.

Supa Dupa Fly

No I just ran by myself. I have run a 12 mile training run before but just once. I am already in the mid 20s so I am going the extra mile to get that sub 20. Here is my race report from Friday http://runningahead.com/forums/post/dc4ee1f8dc544a96a9f86f63f0239e53#focus
              Ever considered running one of the races without your watch? Perhaps you're overthinking the splits and pacing and just need to go out and run and see what happens?
              ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                Ever considered running one of the races without your watch? Perhaps you're overthinking the splits and pacing and just need to go out and run and see what happens?
                The races I run have large clocks at every mile mark so they are hard to avoid. Protoplasm nice run. You just ran hard from beginning to end without too much fanfare in between. I wish I could learn to stop thinking so much. I ran 17.5 miles in all yesterday including the long run of 13,1 miles. Tomorrow I am planning on joining the track club for the weekly speed session...3 X 1 mile maybe I should try to hammer that one to get my confidence up? A couple weeks ago I did the mile splits in 6:36, 6:46 and 6:22....I am thinking about going harder in the 1st mile this time around to work on getting off to faster starts...
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Mich, Sorry to hear that the sub twenty has escaped you this long. You will get it man. Just be patient with it and wait for the perfect race. From the sounds of it, I think you have a little more speed than you realize. A 1:10 quarter is nothing to sneeze at. Have you tried different race strategies? I know I will get flamed for this but I will say it anyway. Try to push it hard on a long downhill. With your speed you might find that you really don’t expend that much energy when speeding up downhill. I know an even pace is ideal for 99.9 percent of the world but sometimes we need to just shock our bodies by something that we are not used to. To me it sounds like you have become accustomed to the mid 20’s pace and so you are starting to forget how to really push it to your limits. I am no expert on this but here is what I tried when I had trouble breaking the 20 minute mark. Try running mile sprints. Give it everything you have for 1 mile at a time. Get it to where you can run a 5:40-5:50(I know you have the speed to do it) with at least a little hill in there. Then go out and run a 5K with a downhill last mile. Run at your normal pace to start. When you hit the 2 mile mark give it everything you have and hold that through the finish(You can do this. Just believe). If you want it bad enough you will be amazed at what you can do for that last mile. I was a low 21’s guy 2 years ago and I was able to go sub 19 last week by doing what I just described. I know it is not an accepted way to run but the traditional style is just not working for you. Anyway, good luck with it. You will get it this year. I have no doubt. And if none of that works then maybe we should just get you pushing a jogging stroller. That definitely worked for me!
                    Hi Michigan, You've got a real following out here you know! I've been reading this thread and previously the coolrunning one and I think alot of people are rooting for you to crack the 20.... I personally think you have a big gap between your speed and your stamina. I see you can pop out a 200m in 31s and a 400m in 70s, which is good basic speed, but your mile I think I've seen is around 6:00 or not much quicker. You should be significantly quicker than that. So if you are struggling to translate your speed for the mile you're really going to struggle at 5k. Resist the temptation to do fast intervals before you've improved your stamina. You will be better off with 10k pace intervals & a 5m Tempo run every week. I reckon you would do really well to do a 10k race too, it'd show you the way to your 5k goal I'm sure. All the best and keep your foot on the gas. You're close and once you crack it you'll never look back! Looking forward to your sub 19 5k thread already! Wink
                      Thanks for all the support and comments. I am trying to take it all in but I realize I cannot try it all as I think too much already. I am amping up my efforts to beat this sub 20. Tonight track club....hilly cemetery. 3 X 1 mile relay with 1/2 mile jog between each run...then wait for partner to finish his mile so about 6:30 between each mile repeat (4:00 jog and 2:30 wait) My goal was to get out faster in mile one as that is my trouble spot in races...also wanted a good 2 mile time. Decided to aim for 6:30 miles though the course had some nice hills...up and down. Mile splits 6:27 6:35 6:33 Not bad....I was really running hard so I got a good workout. 30 miles for the week in 3 days. I will take that. Oh when I run I try to run with an upright posture....and try to bend forward just slightly but at the ankle not the waist...any of you have running styles/form you try to think about while running? On this run I really hammered the downhills...on the uphills I was trying to hold my own against others running near me but on the downhills I put people away as my legs just turned over very very well.
                      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Ahhh... lean forward at the ankle... that's ChiRunning. I stand up straight myself. I worked on my core and stability as I used to loose form when tired. Well I still do but it takes longer Smile Along with all the base miles, tempo runs, intervals and long runs; working to strengthen my core and lower legs help me a lot. Try doing some squats (no weights) on an inverted Bosu ball (dome down). If you can do them (first time) without shaking like a drunk I'll buy you a pint. Given the workouts you put in I don't get my you fall short on race day. I still think you are over analyzing it all. Running Mile 1 too slow should not be your problem with your sprint speed. I focus on how my legs feel - you can generally tell when you are hammering it way too fast. I then focus on a higher effort in mile 2 so that I get an even or negative split then try to maintain that in Mile 3. Unless you went completely into oxygen debt in Mile 1, you should be able to maintain your pace through mile 3. Doing that, my last 5k (on Sunday) had the following splits: 6:00, 5:51, 5:58. The prior week I went 5:54, 5:57, 5:53 (was a much larger and more competitive race). It becomes a mental game. You know you can do it you just have to let it flow on race day. Note that I'm putting in 35+ per week. If you seem to be going for over mileage now. I'd cut some miles and add a tempo run in addition to your intervals. You should be able to work to a peak in about 4 week, may be less. Also; how's your cadence. Mine is way up there. 190+ in a race. My stride length is around 4'8" to 4'10". I probably need to work on lengthing that out (darn tight hamstrings).

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Well Tom, the OP as Evtish, achieved his goal last night running around a 19:43 or so. Good job Tom!
                          evtish

Well Tom, the OP as Evtish, achieved his goal last night running around a 19:43 or so. Good job Tom!
                            Thanks Jay! Just back from business trip. After running 20:05 three wks in a row, broke through with a 19:42 on Tues night race. Smile I'll have to say, having you and Ed to chase every week in the AG has helped alot! Oh, thanks for mentioning how you run the race with the feeling like your going to hurl, that really helped my time. Smile Good luck all in the quest!
                              I'll have to say, having you and Ed to chase every week in the AG has helped alot! Good luck all in the quest!
                              Soon the tables will turn, and I'll be all the more appreciative of your selective and thoughtful snot-rocketing when I'm chasing you. Well done Tom!

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats on the sub 20 evtish! I just ran another 5k last night and lowered my PR to 20:30 (according to garmin, waiting on the official time. Splits: 6:36, 6:48, 6:32 (and 31 sec on the last .1 Cool track finish, yee ha!). Pretty happy as this was a high school cross country course - not easy. Varius terrain (pavement, sidewalks, softball fields, lose stone and gravel paths) and LOTS of turns and small up-n-downs. Also was 80 degrees. Really got beat up and couldn't keep the hammer down on Mile 2. Plan to continue to get those long intervals (800m or more) workouts done over the summer and hit a flat fast course in fall and get this thing done! Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!