Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Good Job Michigan, you're close! I'm settingling into training mode now (though I do have an 8K race on June 14). Plan is to nail the sub 20 in Sept or Oct. Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Supa Dupa Fly

Good job mich! almost there! me however, i was 20:43 on saturday...a bit slower than the 20:22 i ran in March. Mile splits were 6:20, 6:40, 7:00 + :43 at the end. I died at about 1.5 miles and my right calf got really tight. meh. I know it's all because I still only get about 13 miles a week in. If i can get more miles in per week it'll be a cake walk...I just don't have the endurance on such low mileage. I'll probably try again in about a month...
        ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
          Hey guys, I'm new here. Found this on the new Coolrunning. My goal is also a Sub 20 5k. I started running when I was in 7th grade. I'm now a Freshman. My best 5K was in a cross country race. 21:15. I feel that I am definetly capable now. In a track meet yesterday I ran my 1600m in 5:45. Then as the anchor for the Distance Medley Relay I ran another mile in 5:54. This was a huge step for me as I only run a sub 6 mile once before this season and that was after a full season of cross country. Can't wait to finish up track and start training for xc. Plan on getting out for 4 or 5 road races this summer.
          I ran 1600 meters in 5:50 in high school and my 5k best was 20:30 at that time. All you need is a little more base miles (mostly easy) and your times will drop near that 20 minute mark. Today I estimate I can do a mile in around 5:45 and my 5k time is 20:03...I would love to try a mile time trial in the next week or two to see if I what I am capable of. The 6 minute mile was the 1st barrier that taunted me for a good year before I broke it. Nice job beating that time again.
            Good job mich! almost there! me however, i was 20:43 on saturday...a bit slower than the 20:22 i ran in March. Mile splits were 6:20, 6:40, 7:00 + :43 at the end. I died at about 1.5 miles and my right calf got really tight. meh. I know it's all because I still only get about 13 miles a week in. If i can get more miles in per week it'll be a cake walk...I just don't have the endurance on such low mileage. I'll probably try again in about a month...
            Man you were ahead of my 2 mile split. I hit 2 miles in 13:06 en route to 20:03. You need the endurance to run the whole race at a hard effort. Not surprising at 13 miles a week you couldn't hold the pace going out at 6:20 you were on pace for 19:38 I would think there is no way can you run that fast yet...if it was hot out it might have hurt your time as well. I know most people go out faster in the 1st mile and hope to hold on to break their goals....but most days you are not going to break a record...so you need to run smartly. Kind of nice to have times in the 20:40 range though and be dissapointed that you had a bad race...that is still within striking distance if you do a little more training.
              Speedwork last night. I ran ladders of 800, 1000, 1200, 1000 and 800 meters respectively. I wanted to run on the track but the jr high had a track meet so I did it on the roads. I was hoping to run the 3 miles total in 19:00. After every interval I took a rest period equal to the amount of time I spent running...if I ran 1/2 mile in 3 minutes I would rest 3 minutes before my next interval. Splits 1/2 mile in 3:05 1 km in 3:56 3/4 mile in 4:45 1 km in 3:47 1/2 mile in 2:52 Total time was 18:24....needless to say I am super geeked by this effort! I started too FAST and finished FASTER. I hope this speedwork is really benefiting me in my quest for sub 20 as I have tons of basework to draw from.
                Just want to make sure this thread is still working...It looks like evtish posted yesterday but the post hasn't shown up yet. Ok it works...I went to therunzone.com website and asked Tinman some questions and he says most runners only have 5-6 hard runs in them before they peak then will start to burn out. Well after hearing that I think I am going to do some more tempo runs the next 8 weeks or so as I have done 3 weeks of hard interval work with 4 races in the past month. I would like to peak from now to late July as I have three races in that time frame in whiich I think I can best 20.
                RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

evtish probably modified a prior post rather than posted a new one. Looking at my race performances, I peaked in late March through April. I'm trying to hold on to that form... Check my log for activity up to that point. Based on your speedwork you should easily meet your goal. Since you seem to be a speed rather than endurance guy, perhaps adopting a 10k or 10 miler training plan in your 8 week window may help get a 5k break through?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Just want to make sure this thread is still working...It looks like evtish posted yesterday but the post hasn't shown up yet. Ok it works...I went to therunzone.com website and asked Tinman some questions and he says most runners only have 5-6 hard runs in them before they peak then will start to burn out. Well after hearing that I think I am going to do some more tempo runs the next 8 weeks or so as I have done 3 weeks of hard interval work with 4 races in the past month. I would like to peak from now to late July as I have three races in that time frame in whiich I think I can best 20.
                    I still think you would do well to fit in a 12-miler on all non-race weeks. You don't seem to be making the connection between your increased mileage, including that 13 you did earlier this month, and your improved time. Tinman has told me that the weekly long run should be the highest priority of all workouts I do. I know it might not seem logical that a long run could help that much for a short race such as the 5k, but it does both directly and indirectly. We often think that running workouts harder than race pace will make that pace feel easier during the race, and it might. However, the key is to be able to keep it up for the entire distance. It is of little value to go out it at a good pace and think "wow, this feels pretty easy" only to be sucking air a mile later. Mileage and LT workouts give you that ability to keep going, even when the pace feels somewhat hard relatively early in the race. Another thing (I saw your post on r zone, btw) is that I see that you do your tempo runs on the road, and that the pace is uneven. I think it's a good idea to do them on the track at an even pace. From what I understand that's what "tempo" means--running at a certain tempo rather than as a progression run or fartlek. It's much easy to monitor on a track than on the road. Also, I find that doing longer intevals between 1k and 1600 with short recoveries at 10k-HM pace have made a huge difference. These would also be very even rather than making each rep faster than the one before. It's amazing how much these workouts translate to a strong even pace during the races. Do you catch this one during that discussion on r zone? "An aside, it's a total fallacy that you have to run faster than race-pace to make race-pace feel comfortable. Nonsense! I've seen runners do big mileage bases at no faster than 7 minutes a mile and then jump in a 5k, 8k, or 10k race and set a personal best time at close to 5 minutes a mile." He told me very much the same thing almost 2 years ago. I wrote it down in my log and have never forgotten it. It is so true.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Jim, Thanks for the advise. I have a 12 mile training run on the calendar for tomorrow. I have had 4 races since April 20 and 3 of them were on Sunday so I was unable to fit long runs into my schedule. Today I ran 6 miles easy with about 4 striders thrown in....also ran hills for the 1st time in awhile. I am trying to get the whole package of workouts. The past 7 days I ran a low total of 36 miles but that is because I took Thursday off...thought I needed a day off as I had run about 30 days straight. I hear you on the No Need to run faster that race pace...aside from the striders or fartleks so I don't forget how to run fast there is no need to go faster than race pace for very long. During my tempo yesterday which I started out at 7:05 opening mile I remember thinking wow this is not that fast at all....yet it was probably within 25 seconds of my 5 mile race pace....my easy runs are getting easier and my tempo runs are getting easier....after all these years it feels good to feel the progress as I am running.
                        Jim, Thanks for that post. I think that is good advice for me too. I have set PRs on my last couple of 5ks, but my pace chart looks like a "camel hump". Good start and a good finish, but always a rough patch in the middle. Same with the 5 mile I ran on 4/26. Some of this may be mental (confidence), but I've made it a priority to hit those 90 minute (or close) long runs all summer before I run another 5k. I think it is going to pay dividends this fall. Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Fwiw, when I started training again 3 years ago I ran almost nothing but 5k's the first year. I faded in about 15 consecutive races before it finally stopped happening. This is no exaggeration. I found that it took steady mileage for more than 2 years before things started getting really good although there was definite improvement after a year. It was the same way 20 years ago. It took 2-3 years of solid training after coming back from an extened lull to get in top shape. That's where I think a lot of runners go wrong. They run really low miles for months at a time, then pick it up for a few to get ready for a marathon. After it's over they drop back down. The truth is that it takes steady miles for months and months to really hit your stride, even in short races. Michigan, I remember reading were you said that you had a really big base to draw on. While it's true that you have improved a lot in that regard, you really are just getting started. You can be running SO much faster if you could work up to some 200-mile months and string them together for a while. You'll wonder what the big deal about breaking 20 was. I'm not kidding. It was less than 2 years ago that I ran 20:34, 20:28, 20:07, 20:18 over a string of 4 consecutive races, and I was doing decent training too. Now I'm on verge of breaking into 18's. It takes time. And I thought I was too old to see that kind of improvement. If it can happen for an old man like me, just think what you guys can do!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Prince of Fatness

I still think you would do well to fit in a 12-miler on all non-race weeks.
                            Jim, you are so dead on with this. I just PR'd a 5 miler by over a minute. I attribute all of it to getting out for that 12 miler every weekend. It's amazing how you can keep going when you're used to that LR. I ran a 34:14, and I hadn't run a sub 7 mile in probably over 2 years. Best part was that the pacing was superb, all miles wer under 7 minutes. You're right, make the long run the priority. Skip anything but he long run. Now I am wondering how low I can go with the 5K.

Not at it at all. 

evtish

evtish probably modified a prior post rather than posted a new one.
                              That's what I did. I confused negative and positve mile splits. However, today I ran the Baldi 5 mile race in 33:23 and saw jaybar there. I told him I was planning on running 6:45 pace, so we ran together. This was my first race doing positive splits. Happy with results considering this was my longest race to date and I came in under my goal time. I finished 25th, thought I could sneak in for third in the AG...ended up 9th in the AG...40-49 AG is competitive! Cry Post race BBQ was top notch, free beer and burgers...life is good. Big grin Michigan, nice race report. I enjoyed reading it. Amazing detail. I took Jim's advice and started the 10-13 mile long run about 6 wks ago. I think it definately helps the endurance. I haven't done any speedwork for the last month, but I've broke 20 three wks in a row now. Hoping the continue the streak this Tues. Got to pick up my training to get down to 6:00 pace...my daughter keeps asking "Daddy, where's my medal?" Smile That's my motivation, don't want to disappoint her. Wink Tom
                                I wanted to get some fast running in today since I have 9 days till my next 5k and possible sub 20 attempt. I went to the local track and banged out 4 X 1200 meters with 2 minutes rest. Splits 4:46 4:46 4:47 4:37 One has to love the splits the track offers. Every 200 meters I can see how I am faring splitwise. But I don't like running in circles that much so glad to get this run out of the way. After 2 runs I was feeling quite hot...temps only around 62 but the sun was hot okay? So I started nice and easy on the 3rd interval and still knocked out a relaxed 96 second lap....which for those who don't know is 20 minute 5k pace. I was aiming for 4:48 per 1200 meters as that is 20 minute pace so I succeeded nicely. I kept on target with splits...last lap was 84 seconds thats why the last 1200 meters was faster. Another nice goal I reached 174 miles a new monthly record ... have to toot my horn on that one.