Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I must keep the sub 20 pace as much of the race as I can. There will be hills where I will fall off the pace. But by throwing in 2-3 minutes surges of what feels like 4k race pace I can get a few seconds back. My half mile splits 3:14 3:16 3:22 (uphill) 3:11 (downhill) 3:14 3:03 0:38 last tenth (hard to believe this was so slow. I thought for sure I could run this in 34 seconds...maybe I used all the energy on the rest of the race)
    What this proves is that you are totally capable of it. Just run within yourself unless it feels easy to go faster. Then just make sure you are not running so fast that it is wearing you out. Great job, I think you will get it in your next race. By the way I ended up breaking 20:00 yesterday in our mildly hilly Race for the cure. I had only broken 20:00 without the kids a few times in my entire life and my PR for the course was 20:50(~8 attempts at this course). I started off fast because the first mile was mostly down a long hill. I hit the first mile in 5:40 and then I got into the hilly section. I backed off on the hills to conserve some energy but I think I backed off too much. I had a 6:31 and a 6:32 second and third mile. However, I was still ahead of some guys that usually beat me so I knew I had a shot at a decent time. I hammered the last .1 miles(18 mph+) and ended up finishing with a 19:21. I still wasn't where I want to be(I think I could do 18:00 on the right course. However, I was pretty happy to win my age group in a race that had 25000 participants(Yea my age group is really weak around here). One of my good friends ended up with a 16:58 and he had to stop for 15 seconds to re-tie his chip back on. He is over 40 and he absolutely crushed the masters division! See you at the races.
      Nice time JDF. That is well under 20. I think it takes awhile to learn what splits work best. I am still learning myself. I think I could go out quite a bit faster and still survive but you must have it mentally or you can not do so. Sub 20 seems doablle because 3 miles in sub 20 seems fairly easy for me. But I just realized I crushed 3 miles in 19:21 last night and that is barely sub 20 pace.....that extra 0.106 mile really adds seconds on the distance. I think thats why it helps to have some practice sprinting when one is tired for that end game.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't think I could do it (break 20) by myself -- at least not now -- I need the adrenaline of a race and people in front me to chase and try to reel in. Doing it alone sounds substantially more difficult, psychologically. My splits were 6:24, 6:23, 6:17. I caught a couple guys in the third mile, but couldn't catch any of the kids ahead of me over the last quarter.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I don't think I could do it (break 20) by myself -- at least not now -- I need the adrenaline of a race and people in front me to chase and try to reel in. Doing it alone sounds substantially more difficult, psychologically. My splits were 6:24, 6:23, 6:17. I caught a couple guys in the third mile, but couldn't catch any of the kids ahead of me over the last quarter.
          Great split times..... regarding the solo 5k effort... Yes I wanted to quit after mile one. I think I just proved it is all mental. I can do it alone or I can do it in a race. But I found out that it is necessary to push yourself beyond your comfort level (running by faith) to attain better times. The key for me was without a doubt mile 2. When I hit mile 3 with a possible sub 20 on the line there was no way I was giving up. Hurting is no fun but when there are only 7 minutes of hurt to achieve a lifelong goal it is easier to find the strength to knock off that last mile. So I must hit 2 miles in 13 minutes plus or minus a few seconds. If I cannot do that then sub 20 is out the window. A 6:30 first mile is not too difficult but finding the will to run what one thinks is above ones ability on mile 2 will be the key for me.
            Think 6:25 and 12:50. It might help psychologically. A 6:30 pace will give you a 20:12 which is not what you want. It takes a 6:25.9 pace to run a 19:59. Those 4 seconds can be huge when you mulitply them by 3 miles. If you are satisfied with a 13-min split at 2 miles you are going to have to run a 6:18 pace for the last 1.1. And then again it depends on what you are more comfortable with. It would be easier for me to run an even pace from the start rather than having to speed up a lot duirng the last third of the race.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Yea running is about 90% mental. My best races ever have come with the stroller probably because I don’t concentrate on the running at all. Instead I am tending to the children, getting sippy cups, opening packs of crackers….etc. You wouldn’t believe how much harder taking the wrapper off of a lollipop is at speed during a race! It is much better than the alternative though(Cranky 2 year old).
              RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I agree with Jim24315... Go for gold, not bronze. That means a sub 6:30 first mile. Also, I've said on a number of occasions that being in the 12 minute range at mile 2, means that a sub 20min effort is doable. Anything slower and a miracle mile is required.
                Yea running is about 90% mental. My best races ever have come with the stroller probably because I don’t concentrate on the running at all. Instead I am tending to the children, getting sippy cups, opening packs of crackers….etc. You wouldn’t believe how much harder taking the wrapper off of a lollipop is at speed during a race! It is much better than the alternative though(Cranky 2 year old).
                Opening crackers? Too funny. I hope you don't get crumbs all over the course. Smile The mental aspect is where it comes together. I unexpectedly ran a 5k PR on Saturday. I registered that morning knowing that I was training through the race and had tired legs from crappy 11 and 9 miler the prior two days. A hill, after the mile 2 marker, toasted my legs so I had to grit it out. But I knew that I just had to concentrate on the runner ahead rather than how bad I felt. There is no way that I can duplicate/sustain that level of effort, both mental and physical, on a solo run.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I started comfortably hard and hit half mile in 3:14. I thought wow only 6 of these piece of cake. I got to the mile mark in 6:30 and seriously mulled over giving up. This is the diff between time trials and races. I would never have that thought in a race.
                  I'm impressed that you stayed with it. The only time I've ever had a truly successful solo time trial was running my 1-mile (actually 1600m) PR, and even then, it wasn't truly solo as I had a buddy rabbit me through laps 2 and 3. Mikey and Jim24315 make a good point about pacing. It does appear that 20:00 appears to be right on the "hairy edge" of your current capabilities, so in order to break 20:00 in a race, you'll need to run as close to even splits as possible -- you don't have very many seconds to give. It was very similar for me when I ran my 5k PR as well -- I was running with a guy who was better than a Garmin, and he got me though mile one in 5:16 and 2-miles in 10:32. That guy was spot on, and there's no way I would have done it without him (because every other 5k in that era of my life involved a way too fast first mile followed by a crash and burn). Do you know anyone who's faster than you and is an excellent pacer? You might be able to get him to drag you through to a PR.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

It was very similar for me when I ran my 5k PR as well -- I was running with a guy who was better than a Garmin, and he got me though mile one in 5:16 and 2-miles in 10:32. (because every other 5k in that era of my life involved a way too fast first mile followed by a crash and burn).
                    WOW, if 5:16 is holding back I wonder what "Your B@lls to the wall is"?
                    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Opening crackers? Too funny. I hope you don't get crumbs all over the course. Smile
                      No, I never leave crumbs. However, my son did chuck his sippy cup out of the stroller once. We were on a downhill with no one around us so I didn't stop to pick it up until after the race. Oh yea, once in an 8K race my son insisted on me stopping and taking his bowl of cereal because he "was done with it". I stopped about .5 miles from the finish line. I could see the finish line at that point and I was already beginning my kick. I ended up getting the leash caught in the wheel and I took about 20 seconds just to start again. In that time at least 4 people passed me. I caught all but one of them before the line though.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WOW, if 5:16 is holding back I wonder what "Your B@lls to the wall is was"?
                        Fixed the above to past tense. Often ran 5:00~5:05 first mile, and then slowed down a ton. It never ended well that way.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Fixed the above to past tense. Often ran 5:00~5:05 first mile, and then slowed down a ton. It never ended well that way.
                          My moto is it’s not “slowing down a ton” unless your first mile is TWICE as fast as your second mile and you run the entire race at your maximum potential effort. I would choose the downhill mile any day over the uphill mile. Running hard uphill hurts a lot more than running hard downhill!
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My moto is it’s not “slowing down a ton” unless your first mile is TWICE as fast as your second mile and you run the entire race at your maximum potential effort.
                            Well, 20 years ago, sub-17 was the big barrier for me, and the only time I broke it in cross country was running even splits. And when I ran the PR the subsequent spring, it was also with even splits. So I'm a big believer. Almost of all of my PR's, from 800m up to 15k at least, came in races where I ran even or negative splits. I also discovered that it felt a lot better to have a little energy for a strong finish, as opposed to having people stream by you late in the race. That being said, everyone's a little different, and sometimes a fast first mile is a gamble that will pay off. Because sometimes, it's an effort barrier you need to be able to break through -- a discovery of how much discomfort you can tolerate but still hold on to the pace.

Think 6:25 and 12:50. It might help psychologically. A 6:30 pace will give you a 20:12 which is not what you want. It takes a 6:25.9 pace to run a 19:59. Those 4 seconds can be huge when you mulitply them by 3 miles. If you are satisfied with a 13-min split at 2 miles you are going to have to run a 6:18 pace for the last 1.1. And then again it depends on what you are more comfortable with. It would be easier for me to run an even pace from the start rather than having to speed up a lot duirng the last third of the race.
                              Yeah I know but to make things sound more manageable I use 6:28 pace for 3 miles. That leaves 35 seconds for the last tenth and change. I tend to run better when I see the finish and know the pain is about to end. I don't think about running the last mile in 6:18. I would run the first 3/4 of the last mile at 6:30 pace (4:52) and then run the last quarter in 86 seconds. You are saying why try to get back 10 seconds in a quarter mile I know. It is something I have to work on. My starting miles are getting faster slowly but surely. In high school a long time ago I was in the 6:20s for the opening mile and my last 2 miles were 7:00 range. But a 6:30 opener in my time trial is my fastest opener of the year in a 5k so its getting better.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm always impressed by people that run pushing a stroller (and the first stroller in, during my PR'd race last weekend, was a double!)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.