Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

I would trust those MotionBased graphs thery are all over the place and really don't measure your true speed.... SportTracks has a better smoothing of speed that gives you a more accurate picture of your speed. I was doing 1k intervals on the track this AM and MotionBased says my max speed was 15.1mph. No way I was ever going that fast on the track. Anyways, since I've started running again in '04 I've never gone below 20 for a 5k, though I've run "equivalents" at longer distances... Hopefully this summer while training for Chicago I'll break 20 minutes. However, since I won't be tapering for any of these races, it might not happen. Maybe later in the summer during a workout...
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I would trust those MotionBased graphs thery are all over the place and really don't measure your true speed.... SportTracks has a better smoothing of speed that gives you a more accurate picture of your speed. I was doing 1k intervals on the track this AM and MotionBased says my max speed was 15.1mph. No way I was ever going that fast on the track. Anyways, since I've started running again in '04 I've never gone below 20 for a 5k, though I've run "equivalents" at longer distances... Hopefully this summer while training for Chicago I'll break 20 minutes. However, since I won't be tapering for any of these races, it might not happen. Maybe later in the summer during a workout...
      Yea the max speeds are not that accurate if the pace smoothing is not set to high. However, I have found the distance measurements to be extremely accurate. You can use the “map player” to determine the time for a distance covered that is extremely accurate as well. The “High” Pace smoothing does help as well. It generally reads just under what the true speed is for high speeds. Also the accuracy of the Garmins varies widely. I tried an older 201 and it was terrible. My 205 works very well though.
      Len

Damn Yankee

I want to break 20 as well, but my immediate goal is to run around 20:30 on July 4th. The Firecracker 5k in Shreveport awards an nice etched glass mug to the first 101 male finishers (1st 60 females). That requires a finishing time of 20:30 to 20:45 most years. It's gonna be close.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Dude, don't waste your time doing another time trial. It's almost impossible to get the same quality solo as you would with competition. You race frequently enough that you don't need to do time trials. If you really feel compelled to go to the track, try 3x1600m in 6:24, with 1 minute rest in between. This is know as the 5k Simulator workout. The fastest pace you can sustain across all three intervals (as opposed to blasting the first one and then croaking) is the pace you should be able to race a 5k in. It's far more realistic to do it as a workout like this, because it is difficult to sustain a true race-type effort solo for 5000m continuously. If you can do these in 6:24, you can break 20. If you get to third one, and you've done the first two right on pace, practice dropping the hammer on the end of it. This will prepare you for kicking at the race. As for going out faster, it's not a bad idea to experiment with it a little. While even/negative splits usually result in the best results, everyone's a little different. Some people have a hard time staying with a consistent pace, despite finishing with some gas still in the tank. Maybe you're one of those people; you might benefit from going out a little faster -- just be sensible about it. A 5k is short enough that going out a little too fast won't kill you. A quick aside -- I see you are from Holt. Are you a native (i.e. did you go to Holt High School)? I have very fond memories of the Holt Track invitational. Also, someone I knew from junior high moved to Holt for high school (Becky Wheeler, she would have been a couple years ahead of you).
          That sounds like a good substitute (3 X 1600 meters) with 1 minute rest. I will have to mull it over some more. I guess my thinking is after I do 55 miles this week that a sub 20 on the track should not be that difficult. I mean its flat so I should be able to run it 20 seconds faster than a road race. I can keep splits even. The 1st mile will be a breeze. If I want to stop there and take the minute rest I can do so. But I have a feeling I will try the 2nd mile and see how that feels. If I can do 3200 meters in 12:48-12:52 I think I can cruise into a sub 20 without working that hard. Of course I am probably wrong! I wouldn't try this but for the fact I have 2 weeks till my next race. SO as protoplasm posted I am running more miles this week....should be my highest mileage week ever...just curious what going faster out of the gate feels like. Probably not a good idea...maybe I should just aim for 96 seconds laps until I feel sick (that sounds like a good idea - right? Smile Oh regarding Holt... I moved there in 2002 so I didn't go to high school there or know many people there. I do see you ran in alot of area races in the past. I live close to the old high school (now the junior high)..a new high school was built about 7 years ago...much bigger than the old one. Are you trying to break 20 minutes again?
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Are you trying to break 20 minutes again?
            I ran 19:42 this past March. I'm not racing at all this summer (summer races and the Deep South do not mix), but I hope to go sub-19 this fall.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

As if 95 degrees and 100% humidity was not bad enough, we now have a think haze of smoke hanging over Raleigh. Apparently there are some near by forest fires that are causing havoc on the city. The race for the cure is going to be impossible in those conditions on Saturday! I know how to calculate a heat index but how do you calculate the affects of heavy smoke on a hot humid day? It is down right unbearable to be outside in Raleigh today. My run tonight is going to hurt. I might just skip it and go drink some beer instead!
                Well I decided to do a quicker mile on the treadmill today during my easy run to see how it felt. I put on my flats and turned out a 6:13 mile. Could I keep running a 5k doing that in an opening mile? Yes but I think it would be really close to the edge for me. Now I am doubtful I want to try a 5k trial with a fast opening mile. If anything I would try a 6:40 first mile and get faster from there.

Prince of Fatness

Now I am doubtful I want to try a 5k trial with a fast opening mile. If anything I would try a 6:40 first mile and get faster from there.
                  Why not try going out fast during an actual race? What have you got to lose? Even if you blow up, at least then you learn about what your limitations are. I just recently had a breakthrough 5 mile race. For years I couldn't break 35 minutes, and the course is set up for it, fast and flat. I was always fine the first 2 miles, but I would tend to back off for miles 3 and 4. I never could make the time up in the last mile. This time after two miles I thought to myself, "It's today or never", and picked up the pace at mile 3. I ended up running all 5 miles sub 7 minutes and finished in 34:14. This race is probably as close as I have come to racing to my ability. Just some food for thought. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Right on Hereford...

Now I am doubtful I want to try a 5k trial with a fast opening mile. If anything I would try a 6:40 first mile and get faster from there.
                    I don't think that would be the best strategy. If you run a 6:40 first mile, you would need to run 6:19 pace for the remaining 2.1 miles. A 6:34 first mile sets you up for 6:22 pace for the remainder. Or, you could do like I did last year, when I broke 20 for the first time... Mile 1 - 6:08 Mile 2 - 6:23 Mile 3 - 6:34 Last bit - 0:40.2 (6:16 pace) Finish - 19:45 I went out too fast, for sure, but I was able to hold on, and still had a bit of a kick at the end. But it would be even better to start at 6:34, I think...
                    mikeymike

You're best bet is to hit the mile right on 6:25-6:27. The only way you'll break 20 by going out in either 6:13 or 6:40 is if you're actually in 19:35 shape. If 19:55 is the hairy edge of what you're capable of you'll need to run extremely even or slightly negative pacing to hit it. When I ran 17 flat my splits were 5:31, 5:32, 5:29, :29.

Runners run

Why not try going out fast during an actual race? What have you got to lose? Even if you blow up, at least then you learn about what your limitations are. I just recently had a breakthrough 5 mile race. For years I couldn't break 35 minutes, and the course is set up for it, fast and flat. I was always fine the first 2 miles, but I would tend to back off for miles 3 and 4. I never could make the time up in the last mile. This time after two miles I thought to myself, "It's today or never", and picked up the pace at mile 3. Just some food for thought. Good luck.
                        I think it would be better to follow your strategy where you push hard in the middle of the race. I tend to back off in mile 2....I think this is where I need to "go for it" I am thinking now that 6:30, 6:30 for the 1st 2 miles would set me up nicely for a sub 20. That is easy for a 2 mile run but in a 5k run I must run mile 2 quite hard to get the 6:30 split. However with only a mile left and a sub 20 on the line I think I could pull a 6:24 last mile followed by a 35 second last tenth (that last tenth is a given to be 35 seconds or less). Breaking it down more I would want to run 6:30 pace for 2.5 miles which would lend a 2.5 mile time in 16:15.

Prince of Fatness

I think it would be better to follow your strategy where you push hard in the middle of the race. I tend to back off in mile 2....I think this is where I need to "go for it"
                          Yeah, I really didn't state my point clearly. I think what I was trying to say was to run a race more aggressively. By going out fast I meant going out at a pace that would give you say, a 19:30 5K, and try to run an even split at that pace. If you fade a little or just have no kick you could probably sneak in with a sub 20. I wasn't trying to imply that you should go out at a 6:00 pace, just that you should step a little out of your comfort zone.

Not at it at all. 

You're best bet is to hit the mile right on 6:25-6:27. The only way you'll break 20 by going out in either 6:13 or 6:40 is if you're actually in 19:35 shape. If 19:55 is the hairy edge of what you're capable of you'll need to run extremely even or slightly negative pacing to hit it. When I ran 17 flat my splits were 5:31, 5:32, 5:29, :29.
                            I agree. Last year I think I was in 19:55 to 20:05 shape. In the last 5K of that year (August), I ran the first mile in 6:09. I finished in 20:15. ______________ I have been trying to break 20 minutes for quite a few years also - since 2003. I have decided to take this year as a "recovery" year. I have been running slightly above my total average weekly mileage, but have been taking it easy on the quality. ______________ edit: But I think it is a better idea to get into 19:30 shape. It seems "easier" to run 6:09; 6:35; 6:40; and then :30 to :35 instead of 6:26; 6:26; 6:26; and then :38. I have been in good enough shape to run sub 20 minutes in the past. I just haven't had the skill.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just broke 20min this morning, in a race in a park. My splits were slightly negative. I watched my Garmin for pacing all the way through, as I usually do. I don't know what my final time was, as I forgot to stop my watch in time (which I also usually do - usually forget I mean Smile), but I know the clock hadn't quite hit 20 yet. Wheee! I usually am afraid to go out fast -- b/c I'm afraid of how much it will hurt later on -- so I usually run negative splits.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I just broke 20min this morning, in a race in a park. My splits were slightly negative. I watched my Garmin for pacing all the way through, as I usually do. I don't know what my final time was, as I forgot to stop my watch in time (which I also usually do - usually forget I mean Smile), but I know the clock hadn't quite hit 20 yet. Wheee! I usually am afraid to go out fast -- b/c I'm afraid of how much it will hurt later on -- so I usually run negative splits.
                                Nice job... what were your splits? Did you go out faster than usual? Despite all the warnings I went out last night and ran a 5k time tria all alone on my made up loop in my neighborhood. It was about 74 degrees but the sun was setting and I was in the midst of my highest mileage week ever so I felt pretty strong. I ran my road loop which is not certified to be certain but its pretty close and i can compare with previous times. It does have one long hill to ascend. It ends near the start but the end is probably about 10 feet higher in elevation than the start. I started comfortably hard and hit half mile in 3:14. I thought wow only 6 of these piece of cake. I got to the mile mark in 6:30 and seriously mulled over giving up. This is the diff between time trials and races. I would never have that thought in a race. But I kept going and went up the steep hill to hit 1.5 miles in 9:52. So the hill had put me behind sub 20 pace...but now I would hit the turnaround and descend that same hill. I thought I better put on a surge to get my time back. I lengthened the stride and barreled down the hill. When I hit the flat and the bottom I continued to run hard in an attempt to get to 2 miles in 13 minutes. I did well as I reached the 2 mile mark in 13:03. I was surprised that I wasn't dead tired at this point for I had put in a hard effort for the last half mile. But I thought only a mile to go...I wanted to hit 2.5 miles in 16:15 or so to keep a 6:30 per mile pace. It is very hard to run what you think is above your ability. But I had no choice. To break 20 and see if I could do it I wanted to attempt it in practice. I ran hard and hit 2.5 miles in 16:17. Wow this is going to be close but now I knew I had a chance to break 20. I ran the next quarter mile in about 96 seconds so my time was around 17:43...then it was uphill to the 3 mile mark. I just wanted to get to the mailbox marking 3 miles in 19:24 or less so I put in a 60 second surge as I knew I would have something left for the final tenth if I had a chance to beat 20. I hit the 3 mile mark in 19:21 and knew I had broken 20. I hadn't really measured the .106 miles past this mailbox exactly so I just ran hard until my watch read 20 minutes then marked the spot where I was. I thought for sure I was well past 3.106 miles but when I paced from the 3 mile mark it measured 3 miles and 586 feet....which is 3.11 miles. Ok so my time for last nights 5k was about 19:59 but who knows if it was 5k or not ?.. I am not counting it as a record or anything...but it does beat my old time trial loop record by 28 seconds I do know I am capable of this now and what it will take. I must keep the sub 20 pace as much of the race as I can. There will be hills where I will fall off the pace. But by throwing in 2-3 minutes surges of what feels like 4k race pace I can get a few seconds back. My half mile splits 3:14 3:16 3:22 (uphill) 3:11 (downhill) 3:14 3:03 0:38 last tenth (hard to believe this was so slow. I thought for sure I could run this in 34 seconds...maybe I used all the energy on the rest of the race)