Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Good job gcklo & MrPHinNJ on the PRs.  Looking forward to seeing what "The Bolt from Holt" does on the 26th.

+1

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Hi Michigan, very good solo run!

After running 9.5 miles yesterday and en route to an upper 50s week mileagewise I decided to try a time trial 5k all alone this morning since I haven't run a race since early June.

Started out nice and easy for the 1st half mile and was pleased to hit it in 3:13.

I thought I ran a similar 2nd half mile but it was getting harder and I hit a mile in 6:35.

I thought okay what is my pain level on a scale of 1 to 10.... it was about a 2.

My next half mile was run in 3:19.

The 4th half mile in 3:20 so my 2 mile split was 13:14.

Once I hit the 2 mile mark a switch went on and told me that this really sucks.

In mile 3 I have a long uphill rise on my local 5k course. 

At least I made this half mile in 3:24

The final half mile has a short but steep downhill at the end which I earned a 3:11 last half mile split.

So I hit 3 miles in 19:49

and the final tenth was 34 seconds downhill.

Finishing time was 20:23

I was hoping to run sub 20 on my huge mileage increase but I still am a little gunshy on getting out TOO fast.

It looks like my splits were pretty good so I cannot complain. Maybe I need a little more speed but I don't think I have run this course this fast ever before so I am close to my top shape. Hope that running in a race with other runners will give me a sub 20 by a nice cushion.

Half mile splits

3:13

3:22

3:19

3:20

3:24

3:11

Average half mile split 3:18.

I need 3:13 to go sub 20.

Hi Michigan, very good solo run!

Thanks I have averaged 53 miles the last 2 weeks while my yearly average is probably around 33 mpw.

My weight has dropped from around 150 to 143 from all the miles so that should help as well.

I found a website that showed age group best times on local race courses and my next 5k course produced 30 best times by runners last year. It is far and away the fastest course in the Lansing area. The next fastest course only had like 12 best times.

So after my 20:23 solo run on a course with a long hill and no taper I think I have this in the bag. I just have to try and hit mid 40s this week for mileage and then race week maybe 35 miles give or take. 2 weeks to goal race.

That's good mileage.  I think if you keep it up, you will have a good chance to try low 19 min 5k in a few months.

Thanks I have averaged 53 miles the last 2 weeks while my yearly average is probably around 33 mpw.

My weight has dropped from around 150 to 143 from all the miles so that should help as well.

I found a website that showed age group best times on local race courses and my next 5k course produced 30 best times by runners last year. It is far and away the fastest course in the Lansing area. The next fastest course only had like 12 best times.

So after my 20:23 solo run on a course with a long hill and no taper I think I have this in the bag. I just have to try and hit mid 40s this week for mileage and then race week maybe 35 miles give or take. 2 weeks to goal race.

Run happy

Longest month 170 miles:  june 

longest week 46 miles: last week

2 weeks weight lost: 5 lb  (currently 158, and 5 more to go for 153)

going up for september marathon, I ll see how does it help to my 5k.

Prince of Fatness

2 weeks weight lost: 5 lb  (currently 158, and 5 more to go for 153)

Great job with that and I am very jealous.  I'm holding steady but can't lose.  I'm finding that with the increased mileage comes an extremely ravenous appetite.

Not at it at all. 

Run happy

Great job with that and I am very jealous.  I'm holding steady but can't lose.  I'm finding that with the increased mileage comes an extremely ravenous appetite.

I just managed to hold that appetite back

What helps me a lot:

Eating 6-7 times a day in small portions, and

some carbonhydrates right after trainings 

Eating is a matter of habitude, and it is hard to change it (at least for me)

Good work, all of you guys!

I am not really in your league for speed, but hope to break 22:30 tomorrow night, and perhaps a little better in a 5k I am registered for in August.

I am concentrating on a half marathon in October, but need the confidence of running a decent 5k before then, as my goal pace for the half is close to 23 minutes for the 5k. At least the half is on a net downhill course, I ran the thgird 5k split in 23:16 last year.

Anyway, I have enjoyed keeping up with your progress, hope you don't mind!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Did a 5 mile tempo out of a total of 12.19 miles

I was aiming at 6:55/mile.  When I broke 20 with a 19:53 last Oct, I wouldn't be able to run at this pace for my tempo.  Earlier this year when I prepared for Boston, I ran this pace for my tempos but it was tough.  I think I have better endurance now so I think I should be ok.

However, strangely, I felt very ok even with a faster pace.  Splits were:

6:55, 6:51, 6:46, 6:49, 6:42

Total: 34:05

It is just weird that last Sat's 5k was only 2 sec faster than last Oct's 5k but I felt my tempo was so much easier today than any time in the past.  Well, may be I really had a bad day last Sat.  I hope to run a good one in 1.5 weeks.

I was really dreading my interval workout today.  4x1600m with 800m jogging recoveries.  But I did OK!  The times were 6:42, 6:40, 6:37, and 6:32.  I was shooting for 6:33-6:47, so those were right where I wanted to be.

I'm not convinced I can run sub-20 yet.  But I may give it a shot either next week or the following week if I can find a good race.

mikeymike

But I may give it a shot either next week or the following week if I can find a good race.

This race has a pretty fast course.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This race has a pretty fast course.

Yeah, but I hear that the race director is a bit of a Masshole.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I took a needed day off yesterday as I went to the zoo after work with my family.

I am trying to get into more structured training now.

On Monday I ran up a long hill 6 times (about 75 seconds up the hill) as I found in a Pete Magill column. I was unsure how hard to run up the hill...I took it easy on the 1st three and harder on the last 3.

Today I want to try 3 X 1600 but am unsure of what times I should aim for and how much rest. I was thinking of aiming for 6:27 to 6:30 per mile pace and maybe take 2 minutes rest between each. I see another poster on here did the 1600 repeats with 800 meter jogs in between each.

Maybe I should do 4 repeats? I have to decide by late this afternoon. Any advise would be appreciated.

xor

3 75-sec hill repeats isn't an asskicker workout (but it is good).  6 of them would be.

I have no real advice, except to say that if you are gonna get in the habit of running hill repeats followed by mile intervals the next day, you probably want a really easy day 3.

mikeymike

I probably wouldn't do mile repeats 2 days after hills, unless I'd taken the hills pretty easy, but...

A really good way to get a lot of bang for your workout buck is to do the mile repeats and then after a very short recovery (like 2 minutes or less if there's a hill that close by) do 4 x 30 second hill charges all out.  Then do at least a mile easy for cooldown, more than that preferably.

For the mile reps I'd do 4 of them at about 10k race pace with a 400 jog. 

Runners run