On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Here in MO, the state has taken it out on future workers.  Current state workers don't contribute to the pension, but all those hired after Jan 1 contribute 4%.  At the University where I work, current workers current pay 1% (used to pay nothing) for a defined benefit plan.  They are talking about having future employees pay for their own plans.  Seems like the decent thing to do to me.  Another benefit of paying for your own plan is that you can take it with you when you change jobs.  Under the current plan, you have to stay  and retire to get your benefit.

That's what Illinois has already done, although current employees put in 8% in to pension - not sure what new employees do. But now they are looking at changing the plan for current employees, which has caused quite a stir and may be unconstitutional. (as an IL state employee, I keep up on this stuff)

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Appears that in Wisconsin, only WI Dental PAC (WIDPAC) understands how the game is played?

That does stick out, doesn't it? Like Kirsten said, what seems scary about this is he absolutely refuses to negotiate. It is all or nothing. There is something deeply troubling about that.

TRUST THE PROCESS

kcam

Appears that in Wisconsin, only WI Dental PAC (WIDPAC) understands how the game is played?

You got that right.  If you dig deeper than the Top 10 contributors you'd find more entities that gave to BOTH candidates.  The smart ones play (pay?) both sides of the fence for influence.

Tramps

Well, I will say that the comparison with Egypt is absolutely inapposite.  Egypt's protesters were not unionized, nor were they organized under leadership with any power comparable to that of American union leadership. 

You're right, of course, that the conditions are very different but the link may not be as far-fetched as it first appears. 

This is a pretty good example of where the efforts of labor unions often get overlooked.  From Solidarity in Poland to the movement in Tunisia, unions were/are key to virtually every "pro-democracy" effort.  (And, of course, unions sometimes frame their efforts as "workplace democracy," helping to see that workers have a voice in the workplace.)

Anyway, the labor movement was (and is) very important in Egypt.  One important spark for the revolution was a labor strike.  The entire April 6thYouth Movement emerged in solidarity with that labor action to support--ironically--public sector workers in state-owned industries.  In turn, labor unions worldwide marched at Egyptian embassies (including here in DC) to show support for the Egyptian pro-democracy effort.  This solidarity was not new.  In the US, the AFL-CIO has long supported Egyptian workers and independent unions in other repressive states.

Now, some Egyptian labor leaders are speaking out in support of Wisconsin workers

It's a small world after all.

BTW, I've appreciated reading this thread. Agree or disagree, it's helpful to see how others think about it.  I've also appreciated the effort to link to sources and information to introduce some facts beyond anecdotal accounts. 

I'm deeply saddened--and rather pessimistic--by this spreading conflict and the larger economic mess.  I worry that it will only exacerbate the increasing inequality that has marked the US in recent decades.

But, who knows, maybe it will also spark fresh thinking about how to revitalize both our political system and economy. Ironically, this song came up on the random shuffle on my run today. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

What strikes me as odd is that one of the root causes of this particular issue is the dramatic rise in healthcare costs.  So there is a battle in the halls of government if not quite literally in the streets over how to pay for it.  Yet we fail to take on the root cause in question.

in my case in the private sector my employer pays up to $300/month for a family plan and up to 50% of premiums but I have to qualify as an individual.   

3 years ago the employer and employee each paid about $250.  Now it's $300 for employer and $440 from me.  Every month.  The size of my family has not changed but I pay 75% more than I paid just 3 years ago.  It's not sustainable.  We all know this.  If I can seriously consider dropping all medical coverage as a professional engineer than what does that say about the rest of the country?  And in all honesty if my wife would not resist I’d probably drop all coverage and let what comes may be. 

I mean if between me and my employer the cost of crappy coverage is $10,000 a year than why have any coverage at all?  Because there is a chance I could be wiped out?  So what?  Life has no guarantee.  Is it better to bleed for 70 years or run the risk that you might be killed swiftly? 

Why is it sideways?

I was thinking a bit more about these unions. iIt should be remembered that teaching has generally been a women's profession, and what seem like luxurious "benefits" from the perspective of a more traditional male private worker whose wife is at home taking care of the kids look more necessary from the point of view of a single or married working mother. Benefits like maternity leave, for example. Or a guaranteed pension plan that couldn't be taken away and controlled by the male member of the household.

These were often single working women who came from poorer backgrounds. Their job prospects were not nearly as mobile as men. They couldn't just pick up and find another job because there weren't a lot of other options out there. In that setting pension plans made sense and worked to meet the needs of a population that was and maybe is pretty different from the demographic that is posting on this board.

Teaching was a path for women to middle class independence. Factory work was a path for poor and less formally educated folk to middle class independence. Pension plans and health benefits were a path out of the uncertainty and day-to-day existence of poverty into a clear vision of the future. 

My sense is that this population still exists--pension plans provide security and stability that is necessary for leaving conditions of poverty. From the perspective of folks like us who post on this board, they seem like unnecessary benefits--who needs a pension plan when you have the ability to switch jobs, the skill to do it, the disposable income that it takes to move and relocate? You don't need it. They aren't for you. That's not the purpose. The purpose of these benefits was to do the progressive work of lifting people out of poverty into the middle class by stabilizing their future. This purpose should be remembered when we decide to do away with them.

From the perspective of folks like us who post on this board, they seem like unnecessary benefits--who needs a pension plan when you have the ability to switch jobs, the skill to do it, the disposable income that it takes to move and relocate? You don't need it. They aren't for you. That's not the purpose.

Us aren't all well paid professionals with lots of options.

Why is it sideways?

Us aren't all well paid professionals with lots of options.

I knew someone would post this. It was a rhetorical generalization, not an attempt to make an empirical judgment about the class status of middle to upper middle class white American runners.

mikeymike

I really don't care if public employees get a pension or if they  move to more of a 401k type model.  As long as it's funded up front as part of the employee's comp plan and the taxpayers aren't left trying to fund some big gap that grows exponentially into the future.  I equate pensions with making promises and pushing the liability forward for someone else to deal with (especially when every rational change has to be bargained with union lawyers), but I'm sure it doesn't have to be that way.

As for most teachers coming from poorer backgrounds I don't have any data on that but that has not been my experience at all.

Runners run

As for most teachers coming from poorer backgrounds I don't have any data on that but that has not been my experience at all.

I recon Jeff was speakin' of the 1-room teachers of pert near a century ago. 

mikeymike

I mean if between me and my employer the cost of crappy coverage is $10,000 a year than why have any coverage at all?  Because there is a chance I could be wiped out?  So what?  Life has no guarantee.  Is it better to bleed for 70 years or run the risk that you might be killed swiftly? 

My health insurance for my family of 6 costs $18,485 a year (1/4 of which I pay in payroll deductions) and I still wound up paying $4,300 in out of pocket last year in a year with no major illnesses and 1 minor ER trip for my daughter.  I hear you.  And my company self insures.

Healthcare is such a disaster it's probably not fixable without nukes.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I really don't care if public employees get a pension or if they  move to more of a 401k type model.  As long as it's funded up front as part of the employee's comp plan and the taxpayers aren't left trying to fund some big gap that grows exponentially into the future.  I equate pensions with making promises and pushing the liability forward for someone else to deal with (especially when every rational change has to be bargained with union lawyers), but I'm sure it doesn't have to be that way.

I'm just saying that what looks like stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt to a situation from one perspective is, from another perspective, an attempt to create a stable work environment for upwardly mobile teachers and factory workers. That very lack of flexibility was the point. Of course, from the standpoint of many other values that stability looks like retrograde stupidity. 

But balancing a budget is not just a question of finances. It is also a question of values.

Elementary teaching and high school teaching is a common place for first generation women college graduates to begin. This is changing, somewhat.

I recon Jeff was speakin' of the 1-room teachers of pert near a century ago. 

My 50 year old co-worker in the cube next to me went to a one room country school until 9th grade.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My 50 year old co-worker in the cube next to me went to a one room country school until 9th grade.

My dad went to a one-room country school and he is 58.

TRUST THE PROCESS