Suggestions for HM training plan (Read 784 times)

Hello all. I just signed up for my first ever Half Marathon. It is May 3, so I will start a training plan in about a month. I have slowly built up to running 20-25 miles per week, with the hope of that being 25-30 before the start of HM training. Actually, the holiday weeks resulted in a pretty dramatic downturn in mileage, mostly due to ice and weather than holidays. I am just looking for suggested training plans. Many that I have looked at would be a decrease from my current mileage during the early stages of the plan. Is that a normal occurrence? It seems counter-intuitive to me to decrease my miles in preparing for a half. Confused I don't have any idea of a goal pace, yet. I will probably wait to see how the long tempos go during training to figure out what I can maintain over the distance. Any feedback on plans that have worked well for people would be appreciated. My log is public, if it helps. Thanks in advance.

"I aim to misbehave."

patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi, This is what I followed: The novice program was the one I chose to follow and it worked out great. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm My goal this year is to follow the intermediate training plan. Good luck. Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Hi, This is what I followed: The novice program was the one I chose to follow and it worked out great. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm My goal this year is to follow the intermediate training plan. Good luck. Patarch1
        That is one that I have looked at, but the first several weeks of the plan are a significant step back in mileage (like half the miles). Maybe that is normal. I'm hoping for some feedback in that regard.

"I aim to misbehave."

Lane

First and foremost, you shouldn't have to reduce your mileage. For an idea of a plan (although I personally don't like them), you can use the "smartcoach" feature at the Runners' World website. I put in some of your information (based on your best 5k, etc) and this is what I got: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smtcresults/0,7144,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html?hour=0&mins=25&secs=51&rlen=fivk&rdst=half4&mpwe=21&startf=123xyz&diff=hard&lrdy=0&slen=16&trainstart=ds1231184128757&metr=miles Hopefully the link works and you can see. My only beef with this program is that it basically has you running the same distance and same pace 2-3 times a week with several rest days. It's a place to start, in any case.
          lap

I've found the running coach here: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools to be useful. If you plug in a recent race time and your current weekly miles, it will generate a reasonable schedule that is mostly easy, sometimes long, sometimes fast. The mileage on your first week will be similar to your current weekly mileage. And if you compare the paces to those you'd get by plugging the same race time into the McMillan calculator, you'll see that they are very close.
            mikeymike

No you don't need to cut back your mileage to start a HM training plan. That's the last thing you should do. Just scale it to your current mileage, or pick a more advanced training plan. Or you could just run a lot. Have a lot of weeks that include a weekend long run of 90+ minutes, a mid-week medium-long run of 60-80 minutes that is not a jog, and as many short (45 minute) easy runs as you can fit in on the other days

Runners run

I am bad at following any plan, but I normally pick out a plan for guidance on overall mileage for the week. For example http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/pdf/IntermediateHalf2008.pdf, and then continue running my current mileage until the plan catches up both in terms of timing and mileage, and then try to follow the plan. So in this case if you are currently running 30 MPW I'd pick up the plan in week 6, assuming your goal race is in week 15 as well . Hope that made sense
                lap

Great minds, eh. And on Lane's point, you are always free to tweak a plan as you see fit. Try to avoid skipping the long runs, though.

Best Present Ever

I've used the higdon intermediate plan and the FIRST half marathon plan on the Runners World site http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9369-4-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html When a training plan starts with less mileage than I'm currently doing, I just start at the place that matches where I am, then double some of the weeks (more or less) to make the plan work out. I seem to recall cycling through about a month's worth of workouts twice with my running buddy.
                      Thanks, everyone. I think I may kind of work my own. I like the idea of a long easy run on the weekend, and a medium long intermediate run mid-week for stamina. I also really like doing speedwork, (former track guy and soccer player) so I will probably want some intervals, fartleks, or repeats worked in somewhere. Would it make sense to follow a basic plan for mileage totals, particularly long run distances, but make the following modifications: Add a medium-long, moderate pace run or long tempo run mid-week, and alternate that with a speedwork day every other week, with easy miles for warm-up and cool-down to make the miles match up.. Fill in the remaining miles with 40-60 minute easy runs 3-4 other days. I will have more success, probably, if I work with something like this than a strict plan. This is especially true since up until 6 weeks out I will likely have weather interference to deal with. I live in Minneapolis, and my current customer location that I travel to occasionally is in Buffalo. I figure if I prioritize the weekend long, and a weekly medium long run, and then fill in the rest of the miles spaced out as best I can, I should be OK. I'd rather resort to the treadmill only for shorter runs and possibly some speedwork. I can't stomach the idea of 90 minutes or more on those contraptions.

"I aim to misbehave."

"run" "2" "eat"

lots of folks use higdon plans. should be okay going with one of his.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

lots of folks use higdon plans. should be okay going with one of his.
                          Higdon never includes fartleks, though. I prefer to log a few fartleks now and then.

"run" "2" "eat"

Higdon never includes fartleks, though. I prefer to log a few fartleks now and then.
                            heh heh. yeh.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Right on Hereford...

I was really happy with my results following the Ryan Hall Half-Marathon Training Plan that I found here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html It was hard, but it really prepared me to maintain a fast pace all the way to the end. I was basically able to run the half marathon at my 5k PR pace from not so long ago.