Got Milk? (Read 1083 times)

Doug Little

This month's issue of Runners World discusses drinking chocolate milk instead of Gatorade type stuff, as a post run rehydrate. Has anyone tried it? Milk is 90% water, so kinda makes sense. I have a race coming up and may try it. Doug

I use the Carnation Instant Breakfast envelopes after almost every run. I actually brought the Hershey's brick packs to my last marathon, and they'll be in my bag for my next too. Chocolate milk after a run rocks.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I have it each morning I run, for breakfast - goes great with a whole grain bagel with crunchy peanut butter!
            My concoction after my morning run: 1 scoop whey protein: 24gr protein, 120 calories 4 tbsp ovaltine powder: 19 carbs (18gr sugar) 80 calories 12 oz skim milk: 12 gr protein, 19.5 gr carbs (18gr sugar) 135 calories Grand total: 36 gr Protein, 40 grams carbs 335 calories Then when I get to work an hour or so later, a bowl of old fashioned oats with a chopped up banana and a scoop of natural peanut butter and a splash of whole milk. And coffee of course Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Drink milk. With chocolatey goodness. Avoid supplements.
                Milk with a generous helping of Nestle's Quik is fine post-run beverage. A Wachusetts India Pale Ale is very fine too.
                  Yep. I've used it for recovery after runs for years and during longer races (slimfast, which is based on milk, but there's also some chocolate milks that don't require refrigeration, but can't find them locally anymore). I've heard of a number of ultra runners using slimfat in races. (Ensure and Boost are also used, but not sure if they have milk content or not.) For recovery, I use chocolate milk at home, slimfast on the road, hot cocoa in cold weather.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Drink milk. With chocolatey goodness. Avoid supplements.
                    FINE!!! I'll take my ONE scoop of post-workout whey protein over to Marcus in the beautiful person forum Tongue. My looks may get me tossed out but at least I won't be stigmatized for my protein! So there. Yes

Queen of 3rd Place

Chocolate ovaltine! Yummy! Arla

Ex runner

Best Present Ever

I love chocolate milk, esp the Horizon Chocolate Milk, and use long runs as an excuse to have some. I often drink a latte or have yogurt and fruit (either in a smothie or not) after runs, which is the same idea, in a slighly more adult form.

Double IPA Please!

I always drink chocolate milk after my runs. Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

De-slacking in progress

found this on the internet- so you know it's gotta be true I always have a protein shake with milk after each run because I don't eat enough protein Milk helps the body recover after exercise Gulping down a glass of milk rebuilds muscles after they are damaged during physical activity according to findings published in Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. The study carried out at Northumbria University in Newcastle showed that semi-skimmed milk and milk-based supplements helped preserve more muscle than sports drinks or water when consumed immediately after muscle-damaging exercise. According to the researchers, milk limits the effects of exercise induced muscle damage by providing protein and carbohydrate, which may stop the protein from being broken down. This is the first study to show that it may actually reduce muscle damage.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Member Since 2008

I drank a quart of chocolate millk after my last half-marathon.
                              Doug Little

A quick update on my ? I tried it Saturday in a 5K race. It did seem to make me come back a little quicker OR it was that I had a PB of 23:36. either way, I go Milk and enjoyed it. It was nice to look forward to it, as well. Doug
                                This month's issue of Runners World discusses drinking chocolate milk instead of Gatorade type stuff, as a post run rehydrate. Has anyone tried it? Milk is 90% water, so kinda makes sense. I have a race coming up and may try it. Doug