Hyponatremia - a cautionary tale (warning: long) (Read 1288 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, beer potomania or beer hyponatremia is a real clinical entity that is far too common, especially among binge drinkers on college campuses or among chronic alcoholics. This was just a great version of the story. Big grin

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm not too surprised, still...that's a lot of beer! But if it's true...well then they should have had a larger sample size. Tongue Arla

Ex runner

Jazz hands!

NEVER prehydrate.
        Really? I usually drink a glass of water 10 mins before a run (especially in the morning)... is that actually bad?
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A glass is probably okay. 32 oz is overkill and possible very dangerous.
            I think calling 32 oz of water "dangerous" is more dangerous. To answer the question 'how do I know I never had a problem' I guess all I can say is I have never passed out, never been hospitalized, never felt faint, never felt bloated, never had any negative symptoms I could even remotely connect to my water consumption. Chugging 32 oz of water in 5 minutes could conceivably be dangerous, I suppose. But I think this discussion could lead new runners to believe drinking water can be hazardous. As with anything else, use common sense. I will continue to drink 4-6 pint bottles of water every day.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Runners dies of overhydration. Runners do not die of dehydration. Period. Prehydrating by chugging 32 oz of water before a cool late Summer 10 miler is unnecessary and, as the OP pointed out, potentially dangerous. "drinking water can be hazardous" <- yes.>
                To all ... in all seriousness ... I drink a ton of water all day [usually 20 OZ of OJ as well.] Not to get too graphic but mostly pee clear. Is it possible to get Hyponatremia during race or run conditions if you are sticking to the gatoraid / cytomax / etc and using gels to replace salts. [I am sure it's weight / weather dependent.] Didn't search the thread so I apologize in advance if this a bommerang

2012= under-goaled

Scout7

Prehydrating by chugging 32 oz of water before a cool late Summer 10 miler is unnecessary and, as the OP pointed out, potentially dangerous.
                  Assuming, of course, you've already been drinking water through out the day.
                    So if I said I knew personally of runners who have died from dehydration, I would be...... And if I said I knew several doctors who would dispute your claim, they would be...... And if I asked where I need to go to join the Church of Trent, you would say.......

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is it possible to get Hyponatremia during race or run conditions if you are sticking to the gatoraid / cytomax / etc and using gels to replace salts.
                      Yes.
                      Assuming, of course, you've already been drinking water through out the day.
                      Not necessarily. You could also, as the OP did, overdrink during the run.
                      mikeymike

To all ... in all seriousness ... I drink a ton of water all day [usually 20 OZ of OJ as well.] Not to get too graphic but mostly pee clear. Is it possible to get Hyponatremia during race or run conditions if you are sticking to the gatoraid / cytomax / etc and using gels to replace salts. [I am sure it's weight / weather dependent.] Didn't search the thread so I apologize in advance if this a bommerang
                        Yes it's still possible. A couple of good articles on the subject here and here.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My prior essay on the subject, from the Church of Trent.
                          Basically, you need to replace two things you lose while running: sweat and calories. Sweat contains water and sodium chloride (i.e., salt) and very little else. Calories need to be replaced as carbs. Protein helps your muscles recover AFTER the run, so you don't really need it DURING the run. It is safe to run dry and to stay dry after the run. It is less safe to overhydrate. Most sports drinks contain a higher ratio of water to salt than sweat contains, so if you drink too much, you actually get too much water. For example, Gatorade Endurance Formula contains approximately twice the amount of sodium (200 mg/per 8 oz) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher to help meet the needs of athletes during prolonged exercise. 200 mg of sodium ~ 500 mg of salt. As before, there are 2200 - 3400 mg of salt per liter of sweat. Eight oz of fluid = 0.24 liters, and one liter is about 34 oz, or 4 1/4 x 8oz bottles. A liter of Gatorade Endurance, therefore, contains about 2125 mg of sodium, which is nearly within the range of sweat sodium concentration. Most sports drinks resemble standard Gatorade, so they have a lower amount of salt. But the lower amount of salt is only a problem if you drink too much over a sustained period. This can lead to a condition called hyponatremia. As I have previously posted: hyponatremia is a serious disease that merits watching out for. Hyponatremia is a condition in which you dilute your blood salt (sodium) with too much liquid, and it can be fatal (probably fewer than 1 marathoner dies every year from this). Fluids like gatorade and ultima still have far less salt than sweat, so drinking the same amound as you sweat can still dilute your blood. When extreme, hyponatremia causes weakness, hallucinations, lightheadedness and vomiting. Notice that these, except vomiting, are all the same symptoms as you would get with dehydration and with hypoglycemia. In a recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers found: On univariate analyses, hyponatremia was associated with substantial weight gain, consumption of more than 3 liters of fluids during the race, consumption of fluids every mile, a racing time of >4:00 hours, female sex, and low body-mass index. On multivariate analysis, hyponatremia was associated with weight gain (odds ratio, 4.2; 95 percent confidence interval, 2.2 to 8.2), a racing time of >4:00 hours (odds ratio for the comparison with a time of over 3:30 hours, 7.4; 95 percent confidence interval, 2.9 to 23.1), and body-mass-index extremes. (N Engl J Med. 2005 Apr 14;352(15):1550-6.) That means, the risk factors for hyponatremia include 1. a marathon time > 4 hours (compared to time < 3:30)="" 2.="" being="" too="" big="" or="" too="" small,="" 3.="" being="" female,="" 4.="" drinking="" over="" 3="" liters="" of="" fluids="" during="" the="" run,="" 5.="" gaining="" weight="" during="" the="" run.="" the="" researchers="" did="" not="" specifically="" look="" at="" the="" effect="" of="" ambient="" temperature,="" salt="" intake="" in="" the="" days="" leading="" up="" to="" the="" marathon,="" or="" whether="" drinking="" too="" much="" in="" the="" days="" leading="" up="" to="" the="" marathon="" contributed,="" but="" their="" study="" was="" performed="" on="" a="" hot="" day.="" remember,="" 3="" liters="" is="" nearly="" a="" gallon;="" the="" cups="" at="" the="" marathon="" were="" all="" about="" 4-5="" ounces="" full.="" there="" are="" 128="" ounces="" in="" a="" gallon.="" that="" means="" you="" would="" need="" to="" have="" drunk="" about="" 25="" cups="" of="" fluid="" in="" the="" 10="" aid="" stations="" to="" have="" gotten="" just="" that="" one="" risk="" factor.="" some="" experts="" suggest="" weighing="" yourself="" before="" every="" marathon="" and="" writing="" your="" weight="" on="" your="" race="" tag;="" that="" way="" if="" you="" pass="" out="" the="" medics="" can="" weigh="" you.="" given="" the="" variation="" in="" scales="" i="" do="" not="" know="" if="" this="" would="" actually="" be="" useful.="" folks="" with="" hyponatremia="" have="" too="" much="" fluid="" on="" board,="" so="" they="" pee="" clear="" urine="" frequently.="" folks="" who="" pee="" infrequently="" and="" who="" have="" darker="" urine="" likely="" do="" not="" have="" />
                          JakeKnight

So if I said I knew personally of runners who have died from dehydration, I would be......
                            ..... someone who should really share your water with your friends. Pass the Gatorade, man.
                            And if I said I knew several doctors who would dispute your claim, they I would be......
                            ..... somebody who hangs out in a hospital way too much. You should hang out with accountants and plumbers, instead. They're more useful.
                            And if I asked where I need to go to join the Church of Trent, you would say.......
                            ..... that you should be standing roughly 200 meters northwest of the intersection of Old Hickory Boulevard and Highway 100 at approximately 8:00 a.m. on the morning of November 23, 2008, when the next induction ceremony for new members of the Church of Trent will be held.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Trent, Printed your post. In all seriousness, you give valuable information.

Lazy idiot

..... that you should be standing roughly 200 meters northwest of the intersection of Old Hickory Boulevard and Highway 100 at approximately 8:00 a.m. on the morning of November 23, 2008, when the next induction ceremony for new members of the Church of Trent will be held.
                                Are there certificates? Kool-Aid? Punch and pie? I thought I was just running a race. Sheesh.

Tick tock