Tips for running in rain? (Read 926 times)

At the moment the long range forecast for the London marathon is for a downpour. Any tips for running in those conditons?
      Extra nipple protection. I use the little corn pads. Hell to pull off but much better than the bloody nipples. Plan on sore feet as well. Have not figured out a way to prevent my feet from sliding around in my shoes once they get soaked.

Old, Slow, Happy

How about a hat with a bill to keep the rain out of the eyes and off the face? I wear mine all the time to keep sun out of the eyes, bugs off the head, and rain off the face.
          Extra nipple protection. I use the little corn pads. Hell to pull off but much better than the bloody nipples. Plan on sore feet as well. Have not figured out a way to prevent my feet from sliding around in my shoes once they get soaked.
          Got that one covered bought a packet of NipGuards on Monday. Had a bad experience with bleeding nipples in Berlin 2006!
          L Train

If it's more than 50 degrees or so wear as little as possible. And plastic bags for your shoes to wear before the start.

Enjoy getting wet. Don't look at it as an inconvenience, rather look at it as an adventure.

If you have a crew, think about an extra pair of shoes to change into. I once ran a training run (a 4 mile out and back) in a downpour at the start, but the rain kind of stopped after an hour, and I changed into dry shoes and felt like heaven for a while.
                bap

At the moment the long range forecast for the London marathon is for a downpour. Any tips for running in those conditons?
                  Suck it up. Good luck!

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

Slow down and try to go between the drops.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can you get the 2Toms brand Blister Shield powder? That stuff is like liquid gold for wet feet. Granted, I have not run a marathon under those conditions (yet), but I've done some longer runs in the rain and not had any blister issues from wet feet. Ultra runners swear by the stuff.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

Be careful of your Garmin (if you use one). Somehow water got under the lcd display in my 205 and pretty much that was the end. It wasn't even much of a downpour but it was several hours in light rain.
                          Now the prediction is for sunny intervals and no rain - so we will see. I will see if I can get the foot powder just in case. Thanks for suggestions.

Imminent Catastrophe

Lube your feet really well. Wet socks rub.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

double layered (I use Wright brand) socks are great for avoiding blisters in rainy races. Other than that, no big deal. Don't overdress -- sheesh, at the Napa Valley marathon this year, I couldn't believe the number of people who wore garbage bags or big jackets....the...whole...way. It was warm -- 55 degrees or so; perfectly comfortable in the rain. Spectators will be miserable, however.
                                .....Spectators will be miserable, however.
                                it's england, everyone is always miserable Smile
                                - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com