What's the deal with barefoot and barefoot-ish running? (Read 1749 times)

Turbolegs

I wonder how fatigue affects strike pattern .. i run in Vibrams and NB MFST RT801 every once in a while .. so the initial part of the run where i am feeling reasonably strong i am able to make sure that i land on the ball of feet (used to be a very conscious move in the early days, but became a bit more natural with time), however towards the end of the run, typically greater than 16km (10 miles), i would "gravitate" towards heel-striking as my legs fatigue. I assume that this is just an interim status as the muscles used for midfoot/forefoot striking become stronger whereupon i should be able to maintain a consistent strike pattern probably for the length of a marathon.

Intuitively, it seem like landing one's feet way in front of the body is asking for trouble (in long distance running) so you would try to bring it more under your centre of gravity - which becomes easier if you are midfoot striking than if you were heel striking.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Given your level of running "expertise"

I do not believe that will get spaniel to run a sub-2 marathon.  spaniel's views on the matter may differ obviously.

Then have spaniel write me privately.

If he's within the 20% improvement envelope to do it he can. The only question is if he wants to.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

typically greater than 16km (10 miles), i would "gravitate" towards heel-striking as my legs fatigue. I assume that this is just an interim status

While many argue that your "gravitation" is unnatural, I easily state the exact opposite. Running on your mid or forefoot in landing, generates the need for much higher energy expenditure per step. The best and most economical runners are heel strike in landing.

Its biology.

With a mid or forefoot landing, your impact forces are absorbed by the calf muscle. And after landing, your calf fires again to slow the heel to soften its impact. Only then after two firings will the calf muscle fire in forward motion.

With a heel strike, the calf muscle plays no role in landing mechanics. Therefore it only fires once, which is without any muscle fatigue, to push the body forward.

So biology is three firings of the calf in mid or forefoot landing, or once in heel strike. Realities of energy consumption easily prove that a heel strike is more economical.

The BS of mid or forefoot landing is the foundation to how POSE running is taught. And in clinical testing, its a less efficient way to run.

The only con job is why you think expending more energy per step (proven with increased heart rate) is an improvement in running economy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16195026

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

buzzardnblack

buzz

i like to run barefoot and with vibrams; ive had problems with my achilles tendons since i started running 15 years ago; i stopped using the vibrams and going barefoot and it didnt help my achilles; so i dont think its causing my problem; i like running barefoot and using vibrams but i also use shoes, if you like it use them if you dont, dont use them 

<do all="" things="" without="" murmuring="" and="" complaining=""></do>
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

There.  I feel better now that I got that out.  Carry on.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

also better when you don't move your arms.

Or is it.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Its only important if you want to become a better runner.

The King of Beasts

also better when you don't move your arms.

Or is it.

Geb vs. Tergat

a one Mr. Bolt

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The aborigines as a culture were as fast as Bolt is as an anomalie.

Arm swing is a byproduct of how efficient your legs move. The better one's leg function, the less energy necessary wasted in upper body motion.

I really don't care to be honest.

And its only the tip of  the iceberg in questions I can ask that you can't answer.

?

Its motivation

Or better yet; its human nature. Psychologists call it fight or flight syndrome.

That's why military clients are my primary students. The military teaches Fluid intelligence in its officers and ranks- Fight, flight, or learn...

If you really wanted to learn to run 20% faster, you'd ask me.

However, since you can't do it on your own, then you'd have to admit you don't know everything there is to know about running...

I could buy this, that large numbers of elites wouldn't necessarily come flocking, but there are at least several hundred, many even a few thousand + guys who are running in 2:10-2:20 range for a marathon. At least one or two would be willing to try something different in the hopes of getting better and being able to advance their career. It's not that you don't have tons of elites adopting your program, its that their isn't a single one.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Feeling the growl again

If he's within the 20% improvement envelope to do it he can. 

Ah, so now the conditions start to be piled on as you backpedal on your claims.  How are the plans going for that 100-miler vs. srlopez?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I do not believe that will get spaniel to run a sub-2 marathon.  spaniel's views on the matter may differ obviously.

That's some funny stuff right there.  I don't know about you but I'm finding little entertainment in debating the mentally ill this time around.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

So let me get this straight.  To improve my running, instead of wasting a bunch of time weeding through threads on RA I could have just studied the ostrich and T-Rex?  Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Speaking of the mentally ill....

Prince of Fatness

Speaking of the mentally ill....

Leave yourself out of this.

Not at it at all.