What's the deal with barefoot and barefoot-ish running? (Read 1749 times)

xor

"I really don't care to be honest."

I captured that for posterity because it is pretty funny.

The reality, of course, is that we're missing a comma.  A very meaningful comma.

I believe Copernicus was intending to say...

"I really don't care, to be honest."

Ostrich runner

You guys should be careful. Militaries around the world are hiring this guy to show them how to run like animals. ANIMALS!

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You guys should be careful. Militaries around the world are hiring this guy to show them how to run like animals. ANIMALS!

Military people don't just run for a couple of hours thinking they're cool.....

They train to run/move/fight for up to three days without any resupply.

They don't run to brag to friends, they run to keep their faces out of the crosshairs of an enemy's sniper rifle.

They don't run with cute little bottles around their bodies, they run carrying up to 140lbs.

Military people don't run for entertainment, they run for survival, which is why I'm judged against accomplishing the mission rather than the ego not wanting to comprehend that a world of running skill exists which you know absolutely nothing about.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

JimR

They don't run to brag to friends, they run to keep their faces out of the crosshairs of an enemy's sniper rifle.

They don't run with cute little bottles around their bodies, they run carrying up to 140lbs.

Military people don't run for entertainment, they run for survival, which is why I'm judged against accomplishing the mission rather than the ego not wanting to comprehend that a world of running skill exists which you know absolutely nothing about.

so what?

L Train

You make a terrible jester.

jfa

You can't handle the truth.

MrH

I'd guess a 20% improvement wouldn't cut it if the objective is to outrun a bullet, but I'm not claiming to be an expert.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Which is why I use clinical studies to back up what I write....

I'm far more aware of the truth than you could dream of.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Purdey

Self anointed title

Why "up to 3 days"? This seems arbitrary to me.

140lbs? Please tell me which units in the US Army / US Marines RUN with 140lbs. I have worked with both - they don't. The British SF, who I have also worked with, run with significant weight, but they don't run with 140lbs.

Some military people run for entertainment.

What military background do YOU have? Go on... tell us... just for giggles and entertainment.

Prince of Fatness

I'm still trying to figure you out.  I have it down to 2 choices but can't decide.  Maybe others can help.

1. You are who you say that you are, a guy that knows lots about dinosaurs and pygmies and ostriches, etc., and can show others how to run faster based on this model.  The problem in this case is that you just do not seem to grasp the fact that being condescending is simply going to make others not want to listen to you.  If you want and are willing to improve your communication skills, and your ego will allow it, I can help you with that.  See what I mean?
                      2. You are a troll.  In this case I have to say "Nice work", 'cause you have a couple of threads working.

Let me think about this some more.

Not at it at all. 

So, what's the deal with airline food?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Dude, I have a lot of respect for military people, and the ones I know don't act they way you're acting. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Air Force PJ's

Start with basics:

45Lb pack

65lb pack (SEALS)

25lb rifle

25-35lbs ammunition

20lbs body armor

8lbs helmet and sidearms

That doesn't count specialized weapons for any mission or in the case of PJs, support medical equipment

MrH

Here's an animal integrating barefoot running, body armor, and human technology for a 25% improvement:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jul/21/gamera-gets-new-wheel/

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Your figures are incorrect. Besides, they patrol in this kit - they dont go out for a run in it.