elecrolyte replacement (Read 745 times)

Otium cum dignitate

I have problems with leg cramps on long runs as soon as the temp goes above 65 degrees and am looking for ways to replace my electrolytes to help prevent this. Some time ago, I remember reading on the CoolRunning web site about electrolyte strips that dissolve on the tongue, similar to the Listerine breath strips. Has anyone ever heard of these or have any experience with them? Note: aside from continuing to stretch and front-load electrolytes before such runs, I've also tried different kinds of energy gels (made me nauseous), energy beans (tasty, but so much chewing messed with my breathing), and drinks, but to no avail. Thanks

Ostrich runner

Try quinine. Are you sure the cramps are from electrolyte deficiency?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The dissolving strips have very very few electrolytes in them. Most people use electrolyte capsules.

Otium cum dignitate

Quinine? Is that for something other than malaria? What else besides elecrolyte loss (and the other things I mentioned having considered) would cause cramping? Also, do either of you have any experience with electrolyte capsules?
            I'm not one of those two, but I've used Succeed S! Caps in my long runs and marathons for the last year. They were recommended to me by an ultra runner friend (jlynnbob) and they work great for me. For stuff under say 2 hours, I don't use them - but for anything longer I will take one per hour with water. I've also found that I don't need them at all when it's cool/cold out.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dehydration causes cramping. Dehydration can also lead to blood clots. I have read that when you are dehydrated the blood cells in your body become softer and more suseptible to sticking together. When the cells are properly hydrated they tend to bounce off each other as they flow thus reducing the likelyhood of sticking together and forming a clot.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Otium cum dignitate

But isn't it also a matter of what the water leaving the body takes with it? Anyway, I'm not sure I could comfortably drink much more on my long runs, so, while I'm sure the cramping is due to a combination of things, I think the electrolytes lost is the culprit for me. Does anyone else have experience with the Succeed S-caps that Bonkin mentioned?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You sweat salt and water. You drink salt and water. The problem is that the fluids you drink have a lower salt concentration than sweat, so over time you lose salt even when replacing it with fluids.
                    Started drinking Glaceau " Smart Water" which is just plain ol' water with electrolyte's added. specifically calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and potassium bicarbonate. Not sure if it is any better than gatorade, but I personally find gatorade a little too salty/sugary tasting and end up diliuting it, so this seemed like a better option (?)

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Started drinking Glaceau " Smart Water" which is just plain ol' water with very very very few electrolyte's added, but a hefty price increase when compared with regular old healthy tap water. specifically calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and potassium bicarbonate. It has far fewer electroltes than gatorade and none of the carbs, but I personally find gatorade a little too salty/sugary tasting and end up diliuting it, so this seemed like a more expensive option (?)
                      Fixed Evil grin Wink
                        Fixed Evil grin Wink
                        LMAO!!! Evil grin Wink Wink Wink HUB agrees with you of course...... MEN.

Jazz hands!

Fixed Evil grin Wink
                          Nooooo! I can't stand Gatorade and was drinking the Smart Water instead, thinking I was, you know, smart! It seemed to help with side stitches / frontal rib cage cramping. Is there anything else that has electrolytes (what plants crave) and doesn't taste like butt?
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I love the name, "Smart Water", since paying good money for fake colored, fake flavored, minimally electrolyte enriched tap water is not particularly smart. Wink People. Eat salt. Nachos. Soy sauce. Whatever. And potassium in bananas and other fruits and veggies. Eat salt and move on. Don't get taken in by all these commercial products trying to convince you that buying them is smart.

Oh Mighty Wing

you know 50 cent makes a lot of money off of all this smart water... LOTS of money...
                                I love the name, "Smart Water", since paying good money for fake colored, fake flavored, minimally electrolyte enriched tap water is not particularly smart. Wink People. Eat salt. Nachos. Soy sauce. Whatever. And potassium in bananas and other fruits and veggies. Eat salt and move on. Don't get taken in by all these commercial products trying to convince you that buying them is smart.
                                Trent, Please put that into proper Trent form: Eat Salt. Not too much. Mostly Nachos. Big grin xo