2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Today in Barcelona

2h58'44'' 

Awesome. I knew you'd do it!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Today in Barcelona

2h58'44'' 

Fantastic performance, Jordirio!!!

Congratulations on achieving your sub 3 hour goal....enjoy!

Can't wait to hear more of the details.

John

Congratulations!!  Report back with a a report!!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Congratulations Jordirio!!

Great run Jordirio, never in doubt!
            jordirio

i'm a happy man

At 8.30 AM the race started

Good weather in BCN, 7.5ºC, overcast but without wind.

I have had good sensations from the very beggining

The first 10km slight faster than i wanted, then i met with the pacemakers of sub 3 and aftherwards with a group of about 15 runners he have arrived until 37km

The last 5 km i was really fine and i've enjoyed the final part of the race thinking in all these months with hard train, family, work....all these things and persons who have helped me to finish this race

Time points

0-5km     20'52''

5-10km   20'50''

10-15km 21'29''

15-20km 21'16''

20-25km 21'22''

25-30km 21'22''

30-35km 21'08''

35-40km 21''07''

40-End    9'18''

HM     1h29'11''

Final  2h58'44''

Thank guys¡¡¡

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Indeed the 59 minute 10 mile would be a comparative performance to sub-2:50. My opinion is that 6 weeks out is ideal for such a tune up. Also favor ten miles over the HM as easier to recover from and continue training.

I'm curious, I see you've been running XC recently but do you have any performances to support your sub 2:50 and 59:00 goals? Looking at your PRs, I'd expect to see some intermediate distances (5km, 8km, 10km) at that 5:54 pace  or better.

City of Salisbury 10 mi done today in 59:35.  My PRs are all very old and, as I hope I have just proved, pretty soft.

Quite happy with it.  Hilly course.  I have a cold with a bad cough.  No more excuses really.... didn't pace it very well : 5 mi splits were 29:10 / 30:25.  Need to control my initial enthusiasm - think I kicked off today at 5:45 pace.  Not very clever.

Jordirio - awesome job in Barcelona today - 2:58? Wow. Nice work out there.

jordino - Nice job on the 2:58

Purdey - Nice job on the 59Tight lippedx 10-miler. I think that is well under 2:50 converted....

I ran my first race today. A 25k which was part of the USATF 50k. Ran the 25k in 1:38:17. 6:19/mile pace. Went through the half in ~1:22Tight lippedx. 5ks were 19:33, 19:48, 19:42, 19:49, 19:27. Still felt pretty fresh at the end. The course had two crappy 180 degree switchbacks which was pace killer....

Nice 25k dcv, that's a nice jump you've made there, you've obviously wintered well.

& Jordirio, wow, great pacing!  You obviuosly ran an exceptional race, enjoy it.

Purdey, I've already congratulated you on your 10 miler elsewehere, but it deserves another well done - you are right on schedule.

DoppleBock

i'm a happy man

At 8.30 AM the race started

Good weather in BCN, 7.5ºC, overcast but without wind.

I have had good sensations from the very beggining

The first 10km slight faster than i wanted, then i met with the pacemakers of sub 3 and aftherwards with a group of about 15 runners he have arrived until 37km

The last 5 km i was really fine and i've enjoyed the final part of the race thinking in all these months with hard train, family, work....all these things and persons who have helped me to finish this race

Time points

0-5km     20'52''

5-10km   20'50''

10-15km 21'29''

15-20km 21'16''

20-25km 21'22''

25-30km 21'22''

30-35km 21'08''

35-40km 21''07''

40-End    9'18''

HM     1h29'11''

Final  2h58'44''

Thank guys¡¡¡

Thing of beauty - It was a nice victory lap for all your hard work - I am happy to hear you enjoyed the final part of the race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Up next 

Gopher Ryan - 03/21/10  LA Marathon, Los Angelos, CA

johnmaas - 03/21/10 Shamrock Marathon, Viginia Beach, VA

Gentelmen - How are you feeling ?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Right on Hereford...

Wow, three very solid performances from our group this weekend.

jordirio, great job on the sub-3. Your pacing was about as close to perfect as you can get!

Purdey, a sub-60 10 miler bodes very well for your sub-2:50 quest. You are running well, my friend.

And dcv, your improvement path is just amazing. Five sub-20 5k's in a row...wow! And not just barely sub-20, either.

Great stuff.

Runner

Well I never posted on here, but my goal was to go sub 3.  My wife and I both entered the Snicker's Marathon in Albany.  She wanted to try for a Boston Qualifier(sub 3:41) and I was going to re-qualify since I haven't done a road marathon since last year's Boston (3:06.xx).  Her first marathon was last year where she went 3:59.  So we both had some work to do to get to our respective goals.

The Race:  Albany, GA puts on a very good small event.  The shirt wasn't that great(sizes were way off), but the course, and support staff were great.  The course was perfect for a PR because it was very gently rolling, and never exactly flat it seemed.  I decided before the race to keep it conservative for the first half, and I did that by doing so in 1:30:28.  My plan was then to pick it up a little but maintain an "easy" feel until mile 20 at which If I felt good I would go for sub 3, or if not feeling good would hold on for a BQ time.  I hit mile 20 at 2:17:14(now closing in on sub 3 pace).  I finished the Second half in 1:28:11 for a finishing time of 2:58:38 on the gun.  Needless to say I was extremely happy, and even happier to find I had finished 12th overall and was one of only 3 people in the top 15 to negative split the second half(the other two were the top two over-all). 

My Wife was then only the clock.  I nervously awaited to see if she would make her goal as well.  I was pleasantly surprised that not only did she do so but she also had some time to spare with a time of 3:39:09.  

Awards and such: 

The finisher's medal was nothing amazing, but adequate for a race this size.  I was happy to find that I had gotten second in my age group. I also learned that 14 elite runners had been invited(so I figure I beat at least 2 of them and probably more since some other top 10 folks probably weren't "elite" invitees). 

My Wife also was second in her age group.  It turned out there were only 3 in her AG, but then I pointed out that she beat the first guy in her age group by 9 minutes, so she was much happier. 

So we both met our goal, and had an outstanding race experience. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Wow, what a group of great racers this weekend!   Congratulations to you all.  Very impressive.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

HermosaBoy

Excellent racing all!

I had an encouraging workout today pointing to good things at whatever marathon I end up running.

The day after a hard 12 mile hill workout at the end of my 2nd 100 mile week ever, cracked off a fast finish 18 miler over a rolling course.  The fast 5 miles were at an AVG pace of 6:09.  Could've been even better, but I am nursing a somewhat balky hamstring.

Good luck to Gopher Ryan and John Mass next week.  Start slow and finish FAST!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob